Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3070953 times)

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #6060 on: January 24, 2011, 02:52:11 pm »

Yeah... what sort of thing do you want to see?  Anything in particular you enjoy?

Thing is, I'm a man of all trades. Music, movies, games, books, I kinda like all genres.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: January 24, 2011, 02:53:19 pm »

I'll answer the way I do all queries of this sort: watch Kino's Journey.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6062 on: January 24, 2011, 02:55:13 pm »

Gurren Lagann, Monster, Code Geass, Angel Beats!, Baccano!, Durarara!!, Darker than Black, Cowboy Bebop, Fairy Tail, blah blah blah

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #6063 on: January 24, 2011, 02:57:42 pm »

Gurren Lagann, Monster, Code Geass, Angel Beats!, Baccano!, Durarara!!, Darker than Black, Cowboy Bebop, Fairy Tail, blah blah blah
Cowboy Bepop I know, but what are the other ones like? I really wouldn't like to google all of them to see what they're like, being the lazy bum I am.

About Kino's Journey, I think I'll follow it thoroughly as it isn't long. Though I tend to watch anime in one big spree, so it may not last a day or two :D
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: January 24, 2011, 02:59:56 pm »

Well gurren Lagann is pretty much the anti evangelion

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: January 24, 2011, 03:05:08 pm »

Probably check out the Light Novels as well if you're into that thing.

Okay, let's get started.

Gurren Lagann - 27 episode mecha series with a 'growing up' plot.
Monster - 74 episode (I think) anime adaption of a manga thriller series which you might find too slow at parts
Code Geass - currently 50 episode Death Note-like mecha series about war and stuff
Angel Beats! - 13 episodes (one OVA) series about life and death
Baccano! - 13 episodes (three OVAs) anime adaption of a light novel series with a 1930's setting and mafia stuff bang bang
Durarara!! - 26 episodes (I think) anime adaption of yet another light novel series (same guy that did Bacanno!), has supernatural elements and a guy that throws vending machines, the three main characters are boring
Darker than Black - 26 episode first season with a 12 episode second season, in a world with these beings called 'contractors' who have special abilities and such, check it out
Fairy Tail - like One Piece, but instead of pirates you have mage guilds and Irish rock music for some reason.  Has 60+ episodes as we speak

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: January 24, 2011, 03:08:13 pm »

I suggest Karas, it is six episodes of PURE WIN.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: January 24, 2011, 03:10:04 pm »

Eh, it's not so long ago that people in the west would've had the exact same attitude.  I think of it as a kindof time displacement...

It is just always interesting to see this especially since it is so stark against the usual way people think of Japan. Though it did get rather infuriating once (DAMN IT!!! Why is "Because it is a man thing that only men can do" an excuse?)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: January 24, 2011, 06:10:28 pm »

Umm, "submissive, male-dominated women" is a pretty common view of Japan.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: January 24, 2011, 06:12:02 pm »

I can also recommend Wolf's Rain, Haibane Renmei, and Last Exile.  They're 30 [4 skippable summary/filler episodes, due to studio running out of money], 13, and 26 episodes, respectively.  Very high quality, complex shows... the first and last are shonen, while the second is sort of slice-of-lifey shoujo stuff but not bad.

If you branch out into manga, I have a lot more recs there.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: January 24, 2011, 06:18:32 pm »

I second Last Exile. Only problem with it is that the ending was butchered slightly to make it fit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Strike Witches (2 12-episode seasons) is good, if you can ignore certain aspects of the visuals, and Area 88 (12 episodes) is excellent.

Strike Witches is set in the late 1940s where Earth has been invaded by an incredibly powerful alien race called the Neuroi. The only way Earth could stop them (this is backstory) was to develop the "Striker Unit", a device that combined magic and technology, and scour the world for young magic-using girls to ride it into battle.

Area 88 tells the story of a mercenary ace in an intense areial battle. Notably, it uses nostock footage and the dogfights are exremely realistic.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: January 24, 2011, 06:19:46 pm »

I second Last Exile. Only problem with it is that the ending was butchered slightly to make it fit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Huh.  I actually prefer the ending they wound up with.  Whaddaya know.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: January 24, 2011, 06:21:23 pm »

It works, but you can tell that it was messed with.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: January 24, 2011, 06:30:28 pm »

... How did you tell?  I couldn't tell at all =/

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: January 24, 2011, 06:31:21 pm »

I'm not entirely sure how to explain it. It just seemed wrong when I watched it, and when I found out it was changed, I went "that's why."
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 2193