Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3080520 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #5745 on: January 06, 2011, 12:32:19 pm »

Boy, B12ers sure do love this Annie May girl. She sounds popular.

Not trolling: Gotta try Axis Powers Hetalia sometime. Sounds really fun to me since it's the "accurate" personifications of whole COUNTRIES.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: January 06, 2011, 12:41:48 pm »

It's something I would've thought would be insensitive, but which is somehow so innocent and fun that I can't help but like it.  Hmm.

I know ._.

I haven't really looked at the manga much yet (was too busy with the anime), but thus far I think my favorite character is Germany =/  Which is just... embarrassing, given the actual history.  Bah.  Bad taste, Vector.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: January 06, 2011, 01:02:18 pm »

Probably partly because, rather than making any political statement, it takes a silly (modern) stereotype of each country and rolls with it throughout history.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: January 06, 2011, 01:33:08 pm »

Ah, yeah... I haven't heard from any Italians on it, though.  I wonder how they feel about a show whose title literally means "Axis Powers: Useless Italy."

Oh, well.  It's a great program, all the same.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #5749 on: January 06, 2011, 02:01:07 pm »

I actually read through APH when I learned that it had to do with warfare history. I was really surprised that there's just not that much of the manga, and yet it has a HUGE fanbase. I really didn't get it. That said, the parodies as summing up actual events and personifying them for each character, as well as summing up the stereotypical attitudes for character personality, was pretty entertaining.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5750 on: January 06, 2011, 02:20:28 pm »

Basically, it's an interesting idea with characters everyone is already emotionally invested in from the get-go (for obvious reasons).  An enormous number of men dressed in uniforms, talking about seizing each others' vital regions... yeah >_>

It's cultural, it's funny, it has cute and sweet parts, the art is extremely strong, and for many people it's kind of absurdly fanservice-y--but not in an obvious, overdone way like most of the other things that hit that niche market.  Basically, "One can choose to see it as fanservice or not based on one's own feelings."  The characterization is much stronger than in most manga and anime out there, and there are all kinds of interesting personal tics and charming aspects to the cast.

... Oh, and the "can't think up a resolution to this storyline" things are pretty hilarious.

I think that what it has that pulls people is kind of undefinable.  You can see the strong spirit of the author in it, and it softens a lot of the harshness of the world so that people can laugh about it.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #5751 on: January 06, 2011, 02:31:16 pm »

Good point. That makes a lot of sense, especially with how large of a fangirl-fanbase it has.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: January 06, 2011, 02:40:44 pm »

Ah, yeah... I haven't heard from any Italians on it, though.  I wonder how they feel about a show whose title literally means "Axis Powers: Useless Italy."
Eh, it's a pretty common stereotype.  And my brief experience of Italy leads me to strongly agree with the bad driving thing.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: January 06, 2011, 02:45:43 pm »

What's he say in the first episode again?  PASTAAAAAAA?  I've only seen like 3 episodes.  They are so short it's not even a waste of your time either.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: January 06, 2011, 02:46:27 pm »

What's he say in the first episode again?  PASTAAAAAAA?  I've only seen like 3 episodes.  They are so short it's not even a waste of your time either.

Yeah, PASTAAAAAAA~

Are you watching subbed, or dubbed?

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: January 06, 2011, 03:23:03 pm »

So I saw some posts about 'Star Driver' earlier in the thread and thought I'd give it a look. I've watched up through episode four now, and have two things to say about it.

First, the transformation sequences. I cannot stop laughing whenever I see one of these. It is fantastically overdone. The robot has high heeled, curly toed boots, a funky skirt thing, and an energy-pompadour. I guess it's' really supposed to be a kind of helmet plume thing, but it looks like an energy pompadour to me. So prissy, and yet so menacing.

Second, I'm actually really interested in the backstory for the red-haired dude (I'm terrible with character names, sorry). He seems to know quite a bit more about the situation than he gives away. It'll be fun to see where that goes.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: January 06, 2011, 03:44:46 pm »

Yeah, PASTAAAAAAA~

Are you watching subbed, or dubbed?
There's a dub?  O_o

So I saw some posts about 'Star Driver' earlier in the thread and thought I'd give it a look. I've watched up through episode four now, and have two things to say about it.

First, the transformation sequences. I cannot stop laughing whenever I see one of these. It is fantastically overdone. The robot has high heeled, curly toed boots, a funky skirt thing, and an energy-pompadour. I guess it's' really supposed to be a kind of helmet plume thing, but it looks like an energy pompadour to me. So prissy, and yet so menacing.

Second, I'm actually really interested in the backstory for the red-haired dude (I'm terrible with character names, sorry). He seems to know quite a bit more about the situation than he gives away. It'll be fun to see where that goes.
Ah Star Driver, the show I've only seen one episode about and the person I got into watching some is farther than me.

I'm bad with names too, right guy with animal-I-don't-know avatar?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: January 06, 2011, 03:48:36 pm »

Yeah, there's a dub with crazy accents and a really, really weird translation.  Go check it out.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5758 on: January 06, 2011, 03:51:15 pm »

Hey, that guy that's going to do Franky dubbed does Germany.

Why the hell is the dub rated for a 18+ viewing audience?!  Maybe I'm not that far yet but this show is almost as innocent as Baman & Piderman.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: January 06, 2011, 03:57:04 pm »

There's... various bits that are quite risque, and the dub has parts that are very, very offensive.  The accenting is also considered a bit too stereotypical by some.

So in general, the Japanese version is pretty clean, though there are some parts that made me put my head in my hands.

Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 2193