Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3080159 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #5505 on: December 12, 2010, 09:40:35 pm »

Ok watching the first episode of Yakitate!!! Japan (A baking anime... -_-)

But one thing I noticed is a LOT like Cooking Master Boy they make a HUGE deal out of the most mundane things.

In it the "Solar Hands", which is suffice it to say the ability to excite yeast just by touching it, is considered almost godlike when frankly it is completely cirumvented by proper cooking.

So what is your: "Most mundane ability overblown by the other characters"?

Note: Joke abilities don't count. So no "Woman with the world's greatest Boing" or "Safe-fall"

*hits head on desk*

No sorry, Solar hands are even DUMBER!!!

It is the ability to have WARM HANDS!!!... (Worse yet is I technically have Solar hands... though perhaps not to the degree the show means... which is around 30 degrees)... If it is that big a deal why don't you just warm your freeken hands?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 10:01:34 pm by Neonivek »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #5506 on: December 12, 2010, 10:04:54 pm »

So um. Ito Junji. Cool guy or coolest guy?

Never heard of him before, but Uzumaki sounds interesting.

Everyone knows Madarame Harunobo is the coolest guy though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: December 12, 2010, 10:05:06 pm »

YES. Warm hands are almost as important as children's card games. Abridged series of the baking anime in the works. :D

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: December 12, 2010, 10:20:11 pm »

So what is your: "Most mundane ability overblown by the other characters"?
It's not actually overblown by other characters, but I just have to mention the Death Note anime's rendition of the scene in which Light takes a potato chip... AND EATS IT! *Bombastic Latin Chanting*

(I actually really love that scene, and don't think it is cheesy at all. Really.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: December 12, 2010, 10:27:31 pm »

I personally think the Potato chip scene was done excellently as it sort of dives into the mind of the protagonist (or villain protagonist... or antagonist depending on your view) and how he formulates such overly convoluted plans that even something as mundane as eating potato chips falls under it. Actually the chips seem more like gloating when I thought about it, like eating cake after a job well done.

The fact that Light's plans are flawed and that he overplans seems to excape some people. For example his reasoning on why he wouldn't get flat out arrested for boobytrapping his drawer. Though that is because people only see where his plans go right and "exactly as planned" as the meme spouts but don't see that really he just justifies himself along the way and deludes himself to justify the outright murder of many innocent people.

Also what is with a LOT of cooking animes with tasting food looking like a life or death situation. It REALLY bugs me when someone looks more like they are having a heart attack then tasting GOOD food.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 11:02:25 pm by Neonivek »

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: December 12, 2010, 11:05:41 pm »

It's hell waiting a week at a time for each new episode, but I'm still loving every moment of Cowboy Bebop. Been watching it since it started from episode 1 on Adult Swim a while back. Steve Blum is freaking incredible.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: December 13, 2010, 02:02:21 am »

Wow... It got worse

Not only is having warm hands incredably important apperantly (They change what the Solar hands are. It is between being 30 degrees celcius ALL the time... but another character described it as having hands warmer then body temperature which is about 35 degrees) but instead of my obvious solution of WARMING YOUR FREEKEN HANDS YOU MORONS!!! apperantly the only way to be a good baker is to exercise to the point where you can benchpress a truck so you can immitate the Solar hands.

Which one of the characters is doing to obtain it because he doesn't stand a chance against our main hero...

Which makes no sense and he seems to have forgotten that the very first bread the main character made infront of him was a flatbread. In otherwords the Solar hands were useless in that instance and yet every single character treats it like it is the hands of god or something.

It is the most mundane ability I have ever seen presented like it was some sort of godlike ability. Yes Indeed I'll admit that having hands produce temperatures of 30-35+ degrees celcius (100f) is very impressive in a sort of odd genetics sort of way, but in no way do I believe it transforms someone into a competent or even talented baker, in fact once again if it was So important then WARM YOUR HANDS!

I know the show isn't all that serious but honestly it drives me nuts because they are serious.

Remember the Karate Kid where eventually the kid learned that his training actually had something to do with Karate? This is almost the opposite as it has almost nothing to do with cooking.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:27:46 am by Neonivek »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: December 13, 2010, 03:01:37 am »

Funny manga/anime about delinquents, better then you'd think.

kyou kara ore wa

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5513 on: December 13, 2010, 11:23:04 am »

The Enigma of Amigara Fault
Darn it, now I'm going to have the nightmares again!
I blame you for this.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: December 13, 2010, 02:54:03 pm »

Well, here's the trailer for the new Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood movie which is suppose to be in theaters this summer.

Too bad the film doesn't seem to be after the Brotherhood series was over.  It looks like an alternative universe type of deal.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: December 13, 2010, 02:57:00 pm »

Well, here's the trailer for the new Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood movie which is suppose to be in theaters this summer.

Too bad the film doesn't seem to be after the Brotherhood series was over.  It looks like an alternative universe type of deal.

It still looks really good, I'll defenatly try to see it. Loved the series, read the manga first then went and watched the anime (Brotherhood) just to see it all again XD.

Anyone else watching MM!? I crack up so much every episode it's unbelivable.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #5516 on: December 13, 2010, 04:10:41 pm »

I have no idea what might be missing from that list, except for the Tomie series. [Which I'd say wasn't as great as the others I mentioned.]

I rented one of the Tomie movies once and to this day regret it, so I'll probably skip that one.

But his other stuff sounds good. And since it's all so short, okay yeah, I'll start with Gyo.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: December 13, 2010, 05:22:33 pm »

God I almost had a heart attack, my sleep deprived brain thought "live-action" was in there and was screaming in pain/terror/righteous anger.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: December 13, 2010, 05:36:52 pm »

Live action could work... I mean it worked for Deathnote and oddly enough Sailormoon.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: December 13, 2010, 05:37:45 pm »

I can't really imagine FMA working.  Too much potential for terrible CGI and child actors.
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 2193