Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 [356] 357 358 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3079530 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #5325 on: November 29, 2010, 04:15:37 pm »

How ridiculous would it be if I watched the sidestory first? Would I even be able to understand what's going on?
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5326 on: November 29, 2010, 05:21:20 pm »

Kino's Journey!  Watch it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #5327 on: November 29, 2010, 05:39:02 pm »

Kino's Journey!  Watch it.

Oh man. Yes, I do need to watch that. Thanks.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5328 on: November 29, 2010, 06:14:26 pm »

Toaru Majutsu no Index The first series is finished at 24 episodes long but they're currently working on second series of Index. But I suggest after you see Inex series 1, go for Toaru Kagaku no Railgun then Index series 2 as thats how they made em.

Railgun is a sidestory for Index 1 from Mikoto and her friends point of view.
I've yet to make time for watching those, though I did watch at least the first episodes to get an idea of them. Looks interesting.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5329 on: November 29, 2010, 08:54:17 pm »

To get my manga groove on I finally decided to start reading Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) and what a good decision that was.  Almost done with with Chapter 1 and
Hehehe.

Been reading and loving this.  I've always wondered where that image at the top of the tvtrope article for 'Yundere' came from and now I know.  One question though, why the hell is Mirai Nikki classified as shounen?!  This is some dark story man, game of survival and all that.  My only problem so far is the main character Yuki is an absolute wussy who can't defend himself against anything.  Actually, come to think of it this is probably shounen for the same reason Death Note is shounen.  The main character is a teenager.

Half way done with Volume 1.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 01:22:41 am by ToonyMan »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5330 on: November 30, 2010, 01:57:29 am »

Shounen manga will have furigana for the kanji in Japanese.
The main demographic for shounen: busy businessmen and young/teenage boys.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #5331 on: November 30, 2010, 02:06:45 am »

Man, Death Note should be shoujo for all the yaoi that gets bandied about for it.

Mirai Nikki is shounen because yep, he's a teenage boy, the plot involves a kind of super-power thing, it's not ultraviolent, Yuno is hot, and the drama is more exaggerated (end of the universe blah blah blah).

And yes, furigana is the biggest give-away.

My only problem so far is the main character Yuki is an absolute wussy who can't defend himself against anything.

That changes.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 02:11:19 am by fqllve »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5332 on: November 30, 2010, 02:12:24 am »

I found a decent torrent of DBZ at a very decent size (usual dual-audio, small filesize-per-episode). I might give the show a second chance when I get it.

How good is DBZ?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5333 on: November 30, 2010, 02:14:36 am »

I have a secret love of DBZ that I usually don't air out.

That said, I can't stand watching the show.  The voice acting is surprisingly good in the Japanese version (especially Ryo Horikawa).  Don't watch the American version, because it's heavily censored.

If you want exposure to DBZ, read the manga with a fan translation from the Japanese.  That's the closest you'll get to the actual thing, which comes off very differently from everything I've seen in English.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #5334 on: November 30, 2010, 02:21:02 am »

You won't miss much of the action by reading the manga either. Most of the fight scenes in DBZ are pretty boringly animated. It's a lot of trading blows, teleporting around, and powering up. No amazing animation or anything. So I would also suggest the manga.

But if you do go with the anime, make sure it's DBZ Kai, which apparently cuts out a lot of the filler.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5335 on: November 30, 2010, 02:22:26 am »

That said, I can't stand watching the show.  The voice acting is surprisingly good in the Japanese version (especially Ryo Horikawa).  Don't watch the American version, because it's heavily censored.

If you want exposure to DBZ, read the manga with a fan translation from the Japanese.  That's the closest you'll get to the actual thing, which comes off very differently from everything I've seen in English.
For something as cheeseball as when I first saw it, I intended to watch the subs anyway; kinda like I did with One Piece. There are times when it's more appropriate to see it with subs instead. The rare cases which the dubbing is just as good or better I recall were Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagaan, Lupin III, and Monster.

BTW, I think this is the Japanese version, ala DVD-quality.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5336 on: November 30, 2010, 02:25:22 am »

Yeah, the manga is much better-paced.  Some fight scenes still take multiple volumes, but a lot of that is various people doing important stuff on the side.  Also, it's one hell of a lot better drawn, and Toriyama makes far fewer drawing errors than the animation people.  Oh, and as he said, it was specifically written to exploit the benefits of manga as opposed to animation or live-action film, novelization, whatever . . . so all in all, go with the manga.  It's better :3

For something as cheeseball as when I first saw it, I intended to watch the subs anyway; kinda like I did with One Piece.

True.  It's a very, very cheeseball show, and often intentionally so.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5337 on: November 30, 2010, 02:47:04 pm »

For something as cheeseball as when I first saw it, I intended to watch the subs anyway; kinda like I did with One Piece. There are times when it's more appropriate to see it with subs instead. The rare cases which the dubbing is just as good or better I recall were Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagaan, Lupin III, and Monster.

BTW, I think this is the Japanese version, ala DVD-quality.
Yeah man, gotta love that Tenma dub voice.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5338 on: November 30, 2010, 05:58:06 pm »

Yeah but a lot of the largest problems with DBZ, and a lot of anime in general, are COMPLETELY negated when you can watch any episode you want one after another.

DBZs pacing is horrible if your seeing it once a week. Hense the old joke "How many Saiyens does it take to change a lightbulb? Just one but it takes ten episodes".

Fullmoon Wo Sagashite's emotional grip is saved by that as well. Honestly the effectiveness of several of its episodes are held together much better if you watch them one after the other (In fact I often suggest people marathon once they reach a certain point)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #5339 on: November 30, 2010, 06:24:27 pm »

I wouldn't say completely negated. I mean, yes, it's a hell of a lot worse when you have to wait a week for another episode, but how long are they on Namek before the Frieza fight begins? It's been over a decade since I've seen DBZ, so I'm going to give a conservative 24 episodes, single season. That's ten hours of anime right there. And the actual Frieza fight takes just as long. So just to watch the Namek saga you've spent twenty hours of your life. That's a long time when you consider How many great animes have seasons with 12 or 13 episodes.

Besides, it doesn't get rid of all the filler they used to stretch a chapter or two of manga into a whole twenty-some minute episode. And it doesn't magically improve the animation quality, or make the fight scenes less static. Not having to wait a week sure makes it a lot better, but it doesn't get rid of the largest problems.

DBZ Kai does apparently fix these problems. Or at least makes improvements on them.
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 [356] 357 358 ... 2193