Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3079242 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #5190 on: November 24, 2010, 11:03:49 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highschool_of_the_Dead
Its not that bad... When you get over the fact of how much boob and pantys there are in there. Aside from that I think its actually quite good...
Hey the article says Madhouse was the animation studio, that's the same guys that worked on Monster.  Cool.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #5191 on: November 24, 2010, 11:05:35 pm »

Also did Boogiepop Phantom.

and that x/1999 movie...
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: November 25, 2010, 01:36:35 am »

So yeah, Monster.  I would have to recommend it alongside Gurren Lagann and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood for the three anime you should/need to watch.

Monster is the longest of the three with 74 episodes, instead of the 64 episodes of FMA:B and 27 episodes of GL.

Now what I felt Monster did well is create convincing characters in a well researched world.  It pretty much felt like 1990's Germany the whole way through.  The dub I watched was also done very well.  After finishing Monster I checked tvtropes today and was shocked by the all the people I knew who dubbed hehe.  I was about to list who I thought was dubbed good, but it would be a shorter list if I did who was dubbed bad!  In which case a few people we see like once didn't have a very matching voice, but other than that fine.

Plot wise I have to be honest here.  If Monster was a live-action drama it would be corny as hell with the patient being a serial killer and the doctor having to stop it blah blah.  Johan was a really good villain because his plots actually made since and we as the viewer experienced alongside with the characters.

Speaking of the characters, they die.  A lot of characters die, this isn't rainbows and moonshine.  I can count three characters right now they I felt really bad for when they died.  Bring tissues.

My one main problem with the show is the pacing.  Later on Monster gets better with this, but I remember some earlier episodes that bored me to tears.  The one I remember the most is when Tenma and Deitor are picked up by that old couple and they drive around for a bit and then they leave and the episode is over argh.

Watch it.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #5193 on: November 25, 2010, 01:58:38 am »

Monster's definitely been on my 'to read list' for a while now, it's just hard to get to it when I still haven't read shit like Solanin, which is only two volumes. Compared to like what, twenty?

I probably won't ever watch it though, just because the manga tends to be better than the anime and because jesus christ 74 episodes? Way too long, waaaay too long.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: November 25, 2010, 06:28:59 am »

Gah, Monster. I tried watching it once, but the ridiculousness of some plot points made me cringe. When a show tries to be serious, and discard all the typical tropes that let the viewer suspend his disbelief - "because it's just a zany wapanese animu" - and then makes the characters act in a totally unrealistic way, then such a plot hole is a hundred times more glaring. What's the point of getting worked up about protagonists, if all the drama constantly gets pulled out of the creator's whimsical arse?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: November 25, 2010, 10:46:09 am »

What plot holes.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: November 25, 2010, 01:59:35 pm »

Reread Pieta, seeing as I linked to it earlier.
Gods damn, Rio reminds me of me.
Even the unconscious habit of repeating words other people say near the end of their sentences.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: November 25, 2010, 02:29:44 pm »

What plot holes.
"this is totally the kid who kills people. We could easily put an end to all of this now, but I've got a better idea. Let's let him go, so that he can kill some more people!"

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: November 25, 2010, 02:40:00 pm »

What plot holes.
"this is totally the kid who kills people. We could easily put an end to all of this now, but I've got a better idea. Let's let him go, so that he can kill some more people!"
What episode/chapter is this.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: November 25, 2010, 02:45:45 pm »

Bah, here goes the tricky part: I don't remember. It's been years ago when I tried watching this stuff.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: November 25, 2010, 02:47:45 pm »

I guess we're not getting anywhere then.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: November 25, 2010, 03:24:15 pm »

A quick peek at the plot on the wikipedia, combined with my faltering memory, seems to point out at the scene on the roof(?) with Mr.Junkers being shot by Johan. The kid just killed two men(Junkers&guard at the door), and Tenma just lets him go(because he apparently couldn't kill somebody he saved once, even though that somebody just proved beyond any doubt to be a homicidal maniac). He does not tell the police that there's a juvenile murderer on a shooting spree, instead he lets the detective put all the (suspected)blame on himself.
Why he does not work with the police? There's enough evidence to at least warrant finding and questioning Johan. There's the twin sister who has been talking about disturbing stuff earlier, why not question her? There have been people getting killed, and people in danger of being killed(the twin sister), yet he decides that it's better idea to have the police against him, hide get a gun, and take marksmanship lessons. Is he daft or what?

Why did nobody try to apprehend Johan after the previous murdering spree in the hospital? He was like, the only person missing afterwards, that should at least warrant if not questioning, then concern for his wellbeing and whereabouts. Why was there no investigation for the case of those kids? Did nobody look for a reason why the kid had been shot in a head? No weapon found?(did the sister hide it after shooting her brother?) Nobody seemed to care about first having a kid with a headwound, and later on, having him dissapear.

Also, you've mentioned it being the realistic depiction of life in '90s Germany - what about people acting as if they were all Japanese, like e.g. thanking each other with that characteristic Japanese bow?

ed:some bad grammar etc.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 04:01:30 pm by Il Palazzo »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: November 25, 2010, 04:00:09 pm »

The first scene you're mentioning I don't ever remember actually happening, linking me to the moment would help.

For the Japanese bow thing I'm pretty sure that's because there was Japanese settlement and Detective Lunge was pretending to be Tenma to get inside his head and figure out what he would do next.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: November 25, 2010, 04:07:20 pm »

The first scene you're mentioning I don't ever remember actually happening, linking me to the moment would help.
Jeez, man, how am I supposed to do that? You've seen the anime just recently, you should be able to remember this. It's supposed to be the turning point of the plot, or something. It's even there on the wikipedia.

For the Japanese bow thing I'm pretty sure that's because there was Japanese settlement and Detective Lunge was pretending to be Tenma to get inside his head and figure out what he would do next.
Come on, that's a tiny little bit too much of a strech, no? Besides, there were other people doing that too. I remember some local woman thanking Tenma for whatever, somewhere at the begining, I think, while he still was the hospital's golden boy.
And what Japanese settlement? In Germany?(Beriln, was it?)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: November 25, 2010, 04:09:52 pm »

That's the problem, I've just watched the show and I have no idea what you're describing.

Which means there's a problem.

As for your bottom paragraph I don't really care.  There was a Japanese settlement thing and that's fine in my book.
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 2193