Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3078768 times)

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #5055 on: November 20, 2010, 07:14:06 pm »

While where at it; Is there perhaps another Anime similar in style to DN? Feel like watching another anime right now.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: November 20, 2010, 07:28:42 pm »

Now, since I've been disconnected from the internet and my home, I've also been disconnected from anime for quite some time. I had initially believed that this was simply something I'd have to put up with...

NOT SO! As one of my good friends had decided to bring over SEVERAL new series of anime that he'd bought, and invited my roommate and I to watch them with him. I'm still a little peeved though, because the conversation went a little like this:

"HEY GUYS! Guess what I got, anime!"
Me and roommate: "Yay! Which series?"
"Oh, you won't believe it. I got Betterman, I got Dual!, I got Girls Bravo!, I got Dominion Tank Police!"
"Yes! Which are we gonna watch first!?"
"PRETTY SAMMY!"
"..."

And so, because he's the type of individual that can't be bargained with, and that he had promised that we'd watch the things we wanted to watch afterward... we sat there and watched Pretty Sammy, a show I had personally believed I would never set eyes on, from beginning to end over the course of a couple days.

It actually wasn't too bad, if only for Pretty Misa and Sasami's dad's "DANDY POWER" that was hilarious and awesome in every way. The lighthearted humor and inane references present throughout every episode allowed the show to be genuinely entertaining. By the end we (my roommate and I) were actually very angry that our friend had neglected to bring the movie, which continues from the cliffhanger that the series ends on and so denying us closure until we can finally get our hands on it.

My roommate probably extracted even more joy out of the series than I did though, as he had become completely infatuated with Pretty Misa's voice actor, and her hysterical, cracked laughing.

So, now that that's over with, we can finally move onto the things I wanted to watch in the first place... but then our friend reminds us that FIRST we have to watch the offshoot of the offshoot, Magical Girls Club...

I fear that my friend's obsession with everything Tenchi Muyo is leading me down a dark, dreary, magical girl filled alleyway.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 07:31:10 pm by JoshuaFH »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: November 20, 2010, 08:05:19 pm »

While where at it; Is there perhaps another Anime similar in style to DN? Feel like watching another anime right now.
Tempted to say no.  I dunno, though, one may exist...

Code Geass is similar in terms of the main character, but that's about it.  It's sortof Death Note with robots, fanservice, filler and all the stuff you'd usually expect from anime.

Monster is kindof similarish in terms of tone, but not story.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: November 20, 2010, 08:07:38 pm »

I would say the exact same thing.  Code Geass in term of mind tricks and whatnot, but Monster in term of art style (I guess?) and mood.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: November 20, 2010, 11:04:34 pm »

Oh yeah, I've been doing some research and I've found something I might REALLY like: a prequel to Fist of the North Star called "Fist of the Blue Sky".

It takes place in 1935 Shanghai, where Kenshiro's uncle, Kasumi Kenshiro, helps his chinese triad friend kill evil gangs or something. I'm currently getting my hands on it, and I intend to watch it before leaving again.

What sounds really great about it though is that instead of being a 100+ episode epic like FotNS, it's a regular 26 episode series. Very reasonable for the time I have on my hands.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: November 20, 2010, 11:39:20 pm »

Tempted to say no.  I dunno, though, one may exist...

Code Geass is similar in terms of the main character, but that's about it.  It's sortof Death Note with robots, fanservice, filler and all the stuff you'd usually expect from anime.

Monster is kindof similarish in terms of tone, but not story.

Definitely Code Geass, it has a similar sort of mindgames and "Just as planned" elements to it.
Beyond that... I don't know.

Darn, this reminds me I still have to finish Code Geass season one. Got distracted reading Berserk instead, among other things.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: November 21, 2010, 06:13:40 am »

Buy kleenex.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: November 21, 2010, 07:00:34 am »

Interesting! Thanks guys, i will have a look at them.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: November 21, 2010, 01:41:35 pm »

You don't care about nudity right?  Monster and Code Geass both have it.  It's just female nipple though if I remember correctly.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: November 21, 2010, 01:52:29 pm »

I remember some nudity from Monster, but none from Code Geass. Plenty of shameless tight fitting outfits for Kalin though, and the camera is not shy about the close-ups.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: November 21, 2010, 02:16:00 pm »

I think the original does, but the dub was censored a little.
I don't know, I started and didn't finish.
Which I should probably do.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: November 21, 2010, 02:16:48 pm »

There is a ton of implied nudity, and some rear shots.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: November 21, 2010, 02:29:35 pm »

I know for a fact both of the ones I saw did in fact of nudity.  I can't just be making this up.  To be fair though none of it lasts longer then a second usually.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: November 21, 2010, 02:30:13 pm »

Pointless fanservice as usual, then?

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: November 21, 2010, 02:31:38 pm »

I think i`m old enough to handle a bit of nudity.  8)
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 2193