Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3078471 times)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #4875 on: October 31, 2010, 01:03:51 pm »

Wow. Just watched the first episode. The acting and camera work is terrible, but in a hilarious way. Flat affect to melodrama, suddenly. The plot is interesting enough that it will continue to hold my interest.

LOL, this is just so bad its good. Blood is so blatantly fake.
LOL, this is just so bad its good. Everytime someone says something vaguely dramatic, dramatic bassline accompaniment.

I know right?
It's so hilarious that I love it. The dramatic camera zooms are godly.

Started watching Darker Than Black.
My thoughts so far: Holy Hell, this is awesome.
Friend's thoughts: What? I'm confused? What's happening?

People who don't catch all of the story and whats going probably won't like it much.
But if you do, it's a really great show.
Electric Japanese Batman ftw.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: October 31, 2010, 01:04:57 pm »

Electric Chinese Batman!

I started watching Fairy Tail as well if you couldn't tell.  It's really really slapstick though which can get annoying sometimes besides some funny parts-ebi.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Like some moments are good, but whenever something serious or badass happens we get some comedic fluff to whip the mood, not that it's a bad thing sometimes but it happens almost every time so far.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 06:25:41 pm by ToonyMan »

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: October 31, 2010, 10:03:44 pm »

Back when I was a kid I watched Gundam Wing on cartoon network and thought it was pretty fantastic. I'd kind of like to watch another anime from the Gundam series, but there are so many that I have absolutely no clue where to start. Any recommendations?
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: November 01, 2010, 04:21:44 am »

I'd kind of like to watch another anime from the Gundam series, but there are so many that I have absolutely no clue where to start. Any recommendations?
Some of what I've already seen & liked are: Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, After War Gundam X, Gundam 00, SEED...Ive seen more, but those fixed my itch at the time for fighting mecha action even if some of them only had decent/good enough plot.

Currently watching Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector for my mechxplosion needs.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: November 01, 2010, 04:29:17 am »

With Netflix not showing DTB volume 3 (but for some reason 4), I am currently rewatching FMA after having watched Fruits Basket.
Both of which have some of the highest ratings I've seen on here.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4880 on: November 01, 2010, 04:38:01 am »

Watched Cromartie High School. I don't even

I started watching Fairy Tail as well if you couldn't tell.

Is that where your avatar is from? I thought it was Sanji.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: November 01, 2010, 04:43:34 am »

Back when I was a kid I watched Gundam Wing on cartoon network and thought it was pretty fantastic. I'd kind of like to watch another anime from the Gundam series, but there are so many that I have absolutely no clue where to start. Any recommendations?

Go with Gundam SEED.

It's from around 2000, so kinda old, but still good to jump back into the franchise.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: November 01, 2010, 05:33:46 am »

tl;dr: XBL Netflix has search now.
Which means I'm back to watching DTB.
I can safely say I like this as much as GITS, which is a fairly rare occurrence.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: November 01, 2010, 09:53:59 am »

DTB is awesome, though the ending was a bit vague. 2nd was season ok, not as great as the 1st though.

Also watching Fairy Tail right now. Amusing slapstickness, though so much of it that the serious bits get very, very cheesy.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: November 01, 2010, 02:31:33 pm »

There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: November 01, 2010, 11:47:51 pm »

I am looking for an anime with really, really nice animation.  Smooth, well-blended color palette, on the less-stylized side if at all possible.  I don't know about the genre, really, but I'm essentially trying to avoid the kids with enormous colorful hair genre/moe/whatever.  Not that I have a problem with enormous colorful hair, but I really want something pretty.

Favorite examples are Wolf's Rain and Last Exile, and some parts of Neon Genesis Evangelion.  Ghibli counts in there as well, of course, though I'm looking for a somewhat less light-hearted flavor.

Can anyone think of anything?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: November 01, 2010, 11:49:24 pm »

The Hellsing OVAs might fit the bill.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: November 02, 2010, 12:11:39 am »

Watched Cromartie High School. I don't even

I started watching Fairy Tail as well if you couldn't tell.

Is that where your avatar is from? I thought it was Sanji.
It is Sanji!  D:

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: November 02, 2010, 12:12:27 am »

Sanji is cool
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: November 02, 2010, 12:37:27 am »

I am looking for an anime with really, really nice animation.  Smooth, well-blended color palette, on the less-stylized side if at all possible.  I don't know about the genre, really, but I'm essentially trying to avoid the kids with enormous colorful hair genre/moe/whatever.  Not that I have a problem with enormous colorful hair, but I really want something pretty.
[...]
Can anyone think of anything?

The other day, I was poking around for other works done by some of the people behind Cowboy Bebop, and I found Michiko to Hatchin. It's done by the same art director (Toshiro Kawamoto).

I've not seen much; just the linked episode on Youtube, but the art is more painterly and a little more grounded in reality, if that's what you're looking for. What I've seen of the story follows a Latina criminal and her escapades, as well as a young orphaned girl fleeing her abusive foster family. It's got a similar balance of heists, character-driven story, and gritty details about life as are in some of his other works, and I myself have been meaning to check it out. I like the quasi-Brazilian flavor too, and the music is pretty sharp.

It might fit the bill.
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 2193