Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3076079 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #4410 on: September 09, 2010, 02:48:39 pm »

Yeah, sometimes the "perspective character" can be used to explore the main character.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: September 09, 2010, 02:53:31 pm »

I would say from what I have seen of Bleach and less failure series (like TTGL, Berserk (I'm already several volumes in, it's THAT good), and... others I can't remember now) that the biggest difference is quite precisely what Vector said. Characters who never change (URGH DETERMINATION) and always get abruptly leveled up when they need it and never suffer setbacks are boring. A series, to be compelling, needs good characterization; it needs adversity overcome with more than OH HEY HOLLOW SIDE IS HERE TO BAIL YOU OUT AND IT CAN DO EVEN MORE THINGS NOW HURR HURR every time the going gets rough. TTGL is exactly as much about [REDACTED] in Episode 8 and the characters moving on from it as it is about the main story arcs. In Berserk... well... Yeah. If you've seen/read Berserk you know full well what I'm talking about. It's a series where sometimes in spite of all the efforts the protagonists make, in spite of all their determination and valor and ginormous swords, sometimes they still fail in a catastrophic, heartbreaking manner. Not fake "Urgh I'm going to need to achieve Bankai in 3 days" failures. ENORMOUS, COLOSSAL, HORRIBLE things happen to them because the bad guys are just better at what they're doing. And it's compelling. How can someone empathize with a character who abruptly gets better at things when we have to work for it, a character who never fails when sometimes we suffer defeats even if we try our best? If they can't at be humanized, why should we care about them? If we don't care about the characters, why should we watch or read a series? If we know that in the end the heroes are just going to go and get asspull bonus powers and win every time, where's the drama? There's no excitement in that unless you do it REALLY GODDAMN SKILLFULLY.

tl;dr: Vector is as correct as she is awesome :3

Well said.

Since I'm not all that good in writing my thoughts down, I'll be using some TVtropes references.
I hope you don't mind.

For me, there's nothing mire enjoyable seeing the use of stylistic devices, which adress dreams, the subconscious and surreal elements, in animes.
In Ergo Proxy for example, you find instances of Crashing Dreams, Journey to the Center of the Mind and the Lotus Eater Machine.
Each of those ends up in being one of the climaxes of the series, as they provide greater insight, are dramatic and often leave you baffled.

The Magnificent Bastard is another aspect which can, if it is well elaborated, but still presented in a believable manner, enhance the plot.
Ergo Proxy, Code Geass and Death Note each contain several instances of it.

Although I do not like the overuse of comic relief and general cuteness featured in many animes, it's good to have characters or moments which do loghten up the mood every once in a while.
Ergo Proxy manages this through the use of Pino as one of the major characters.
Same goes for Code Geass with its campus scenes, altough they can be a bit too goofy at times.

What I'd like to see more often is the use of Viewers are Geniuses.
True, I might not get or understand all the references right away, but I enjoy reading up on that stuff.
Ergo Proxy made me spend a lot of time after watching it, as I wanted to read up all the philosophy and literature references.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: September 09, 2010, 02:55:01 pm »

Heh all this and has noone gone and watched what I watched instead of that filler?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: September 09, 2010, 03:55:41 pm »

Monster really starts picking up episodes 6-7, I don't know how you could say this is boring.  It's exciting!

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: September 09, 2010, 10:45:00 pm »

This thread nearly went on page 2.  That must not be allowed to happen.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: September 09, 2010, 11:54:56 pm »

Monster goes up and down after Johan starts doing his thing, mostly up though. Taking this opportunity to talk about fillers, I must say monster actualy does fillers right, in such a way the filler actualy connects to the plot in a meaningful way, making it not really filler after all. Oh wait
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: September 10, 2010, 05:36:51 pm »

I really wouldn't say that Monster has filler, but it does have alot of scenes that could have been edited out or shortened with no harm to the work itself.

Anyway, I just finished watching Baccano! and I have to say it was a very entertaining anime.

In short: Magic 1930's Gangsters for the win.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 05:59:16 pm by JoshuaFH »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: September 10, 2010, 08:08:10 pm »

Lawton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: September 10, 2010, 08:39:11 pm »

What is Vandread like? How mature is it, seinen or shonen?

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: September 10, 2010, 09:05:28 pm »

Baccano is indeed awesome...but do try to remember that some stuff were altered for the anime version and most of it simply revolves around the "Flying Pussyfoot incident" and the people involved (The whole jumping in different timelines is the same in the novels as well). Personally, I happen to like Vino a lot (but yeah, he's indeed hax/broken in more ways than one) but I can also relate to how bad-ass Lad Russo is (Oh, he gets an nifty artificial arm later on in the novels). As far as I remember is that Jacuzzi Splot and Nice Holystone are still  in the "lovers" phase...but you've seen how slow those couple are.

There are still lot of story from the Light Novels that needs to be done and a lot of them will shed new light to the other characters..if only they'd make a new season already (though the Tvtropes Baccano! page has some extra info & fun read from later & past novels).
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: September 10, 2010, 09:10:10 pm »

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 09:11:59 pm by JoshuaFH »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: September 10, 2010, 09:38:21 pm »

Too bad the only other role I remember him voice acting in is the Freezing Alchemist in FMA:B for the dub.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: September 10, 2010, 11:33:53 pm »

The only episode of Detective Conan (slash Cased Closed) I really REALLY didn't like was the one in the museum...

It was the case that to me had the largest plothole.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: September 10, 2010, 11:37:17 pm »

The way Conan figured out the paper trick was really clever though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: September 10, 2010, 11:56:07 pm »

The way Conan figured out the paper trick was really clever though.

I'd hate to be him though. I swear no matter what he does he ends up at a murder mystery.
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 2193