Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3076126 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #4395 on: September 09, 2010, 01:14:34 am »

In a longer series, it would ahve been fine.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: September 09, 2010, 01:27:50 am »

In a longer series, it would ahve been fine.
You said you enjoyed it!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: September 09, 2010, 02:49:54 am »

Yeah, it was a funny episode. But the rest of the series was a little too rushed for my taste.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: September 09, 2010, 03:23:21 am »

Just finished Beck again. The art is really horrible at the start, but I just can't help but sing along with the songs.
Especially 'Slip out'. I sit and belt that shit in my living room.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: September 09, 2010, 04:25:32 am »

*snip*
I suppose my weekly Bleach complaints are getting annoying? :3  I didn't know that stuff about Japan, but really, I'm a sucker for lost causes.  Or to put it another way, I'm a writer, and regardless of how bad Bleach becomes or any reasons why, I need to know how it ends.  So many creative things start out great then fail hard out of nowhere.  For me, Bleach is doing that now.  I desperately want to understand why this happened so I can prevent my own works from doing that.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: September 09, 2010, 04:28:10 am »

I desperately want to understand why this happened so I can prevent my own works from doing that.

The standard shonen problems... characterization too weak to survive, designated heroes, the usual power leveling problems, and a plot that never gains different "colors."

Meh.  I haven't actually seen Bleach, but that's my wild guess based on everything else I've seen fail with the same formula.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: September 09, 2010, 04:58:29 am »

I would say from what I have seen of Bleach and less failure series (like TTGL, Berserk (I'm already several volumes in, it's THAT good), and... others I can't remember now) that the biggest difference is quite precisely what Vector said. Characters who never change (URGH DETERMINATION) and always get abruptly leveled up when they need it and never suffer setbacks are boring. A series, to be compelling, needs good characterization; it needs adversity overcome with more than OH HEY HOLLOW SIDE IS HERE TO BAIL YOU OUT AND IT CAN DO EVEN MORE THINGS NOW HURR HURR every time the going gets rough. TTGL is exactly as much about [REDACTED] in Episode 8 and the characters moving on from it as it is about the main story arcs. In Berserk... well... Yeah. If you've seen/read Berserk you know full well what I'm talking about. It's a series where sometimes in spite of all the efforts the protagonists make, in spite of all their determination and valor and ginormous swords, sometimes they still fail in a catastrophic, heartbreaking manner. Not fake "Urgh I'm going to need to achieve Bankai in 3 days" failures. ENORMOUS, COLOSSAL, HORRIBLE things happen to them because the bad guys are just better at what they're doing. And it's compelling. How can someone empathize with a character who abruptly gets better at things when we have to work for it, a character who never fails when sometimes we suffer defeats even if we try our best? If they can't at be humanized, why should we care about them? If we don't care about the characters, why should we watch or read a series? If we know that in the end the heroes are just going to go and get asspull bonus powers and win every time, where's the drama? There's no excitement in that unless you do it REALLY GODDAMN SKILLFULLY.

tl;dr: Vector is as correct as she is awesome :3
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: September 09, 2010, 05:02:36 am »

I loved Scar from FMA:B.  He's so woobie.  :3

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: September 09, 2010, 05:25:40 am »

Yeah, I always thought that there needed to be an anime more like 'no country for old men'.

If anyone hasn't seen this movie- it's not really a spoiler, the main character dies about halfway through the movie, and you follow the villain from thereon in.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: September 09, 2010, 05:48:22 am »

I've got a reverse thing going here,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: September 09, 2010, 06:06:47 am »

I'd say Death Note is more about the twisted progress/degeneration of the Villain Protagonist.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: September 09, 2010, 06:20:57 am »

I'd have to agree with Pandar on Bleach, but still, i really want to know how the damn thing ends, plus it's become somewhat of a habit now, something to fill time untill more interesting stuff like HOTD or Fairy Tail come out :)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: September 09, 2010, 01:22:04 pm »

Didn't like No Country for Old Men.  It felt like...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: September 09, 2010, 02:33:14 pm »

Didn't like No Country for Old Men.  It felt like...
It wasn't about a villain, it was about a natural disaster affecting passersby people.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: September 09, 2010, 02:40:42 pm »

I've got a reverse thing going here,

Ohh yes the difference between a perspective character and the main character. (I don't know what a Perspective character is more accurately called)

Though after going through school I am finding that "Main character" is often a limited term.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 2193