Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3075988 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #4380 on: September 08, 2010, 04:09:11 pm »

Nah, I mostly realized that I wasn't as into Giant Fights as I was characterization and philosophy.

Sounds like you would like Ergo Proxy, if you haven't watched it already.
Its one of the Animes I can watch over and over again.

So I'm about to start Berserk.

I would recommend reading the manga.
The Animes just covers a small arc of the story and makes the personality of most characters appear pretty shallow.

Edit: Looks like I was to slow :/
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 04:12:14 pm by Mindmaker »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: September 08, 2010, 04:11:13 pm »

And due to that, in the manga the absolutely glorious [/b]ho yay is even more apparent.
I've only read the first few volumes aswell, I really think I should read more, its indeed an incredibly badass manga with fair bits of nightmare fuel and quick in between. Too bad its not even close to being finished, and the fanbase is afraid it might die in the next years if the author doesn't wake up from his stupor.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: September 08, 2010, 04:12:37 pm »

Sounds like you would like Ergo Proxy, if you haven't watched it already.
Its one of the Animes I can watch over and over again.

Thanks for the tip!  I'll look into it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: September 08, 2010, 04:13:19 pm »

The Animes just covers a small arc of the story and makes the personality of most characters appear pretty shallow.
The way I see it, it's better to watch anime only, or read the manga up to the end of the arc covered by anime. It's the best part of it all, and actually holds quite well as a stand alone story, while the later stuff devolves into the generic.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: September 08, 2010, 04:16:51 pm »

And due to that, in the manga the absolutely glorious [/b]ho yay is even more apparent.
I've only read the first few volumes aswell, I really think I should read more, its indeed an incredibly badass manga with fair bits of nightmare fuel and quick in between. Too bad its not even close to being finished, and the fanbase is afraid it might die in the next years if the author doesn't wake up from his stupor.

Also no fillers and pretty much no comic relief.
And steady character development, between the beautifully drawn combat scenes.

I just started over again.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: September 08, 2010, 04:19:18 pm »

The way I see it, it's better to watch anime only, or read the manga up to the end of the arc covered by anime. It's the best part of it all, and actually holds quite well as a stand alone story, while the later stuff devolves into the generic.

It's not always about originality.
It's about presentation too.

Someone has probably come up with a similar idea, but nobody did illustrate it in such detail and depth, without any taboos or censorship.

Edit:
Dammit. My zealousness made me double post.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 04:21:45 pm by Mindmaker »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: September 08, 2010, 05:42:54 pm »

Started watching Detective Conan.  I guess I'll stop when it gets boring.

Hmm... since reading Chiru, I've had a vague dislike of self proclaimed detective.  Usually end up rooting for the culprit.  Ah well.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: September 08, 2010, 05:47:14 pm »

Started watching Detective Conan.  I guess I'll stop when it gets boring.

Hmm... since reading Chiru, I've had a vague dislike of self proclaimed detective.  Usually end up rooting for the culprit.  Ah well.

That's why I like Kaito Kid so much, because Conan is the intellectual equivalent to Kenshiro, and as such is seemingly infallible in every way. Kaito Kid is the only character that has been shown to consistently one-up Conan every time they meet, and the duels of wits they get into is amazing. I wish they were more common, but sadly, they're rare gems in the sea of Conan beating the shit outta people.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: September 08, 2010, 07:16:13 pm »

Beh went to watch the newest subbed Bleach and its yet another filler. Went to watch Cat Shit One instead which was rather amusing.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: September 08, 2010, 09:43:02 pm »

Actually, the filler episode was strangely entertaining o_O  I recommend watching the whole thing... seriously.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:47:44 pm by Euld »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: September 08, 2010, 09:48:17 pm »

Have you not learned anything sir? Every anime shown en masse on tv is 80% filler, 20% shitty plot, or like pokemanz, were the filler IS the actualy plot.
You can literally sleep through all episodes in a week and only to notice your heroes are still mysteriously traveling around and the actual plot hasn't even been touched. The decent stuff is either packed togheder and shown in succession like a movie (due to most being, what, 6~9 episodes long) or only shown every weekend or so.

I mean, gurren lagann was/is a saturday morning show on japan.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:50:54 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: September 08, 2010, 10:40:19 pm »

Sometimes filler helps. It spreads appart the plot and gives you time as well as providing scenarios and situations that otherwise couldn't have happened alongside the plot.

In practice however... Filler is used like it is the plot.

Though never underestimate padding. As Hitman Reborn has taught me, who needs filler when you have padding?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: September 09, 2010, 12:39:24 am »

The only time I really mind filler is when there's a shortage of episodes as it is. 12 episode series like Area 88 and Strike Witches can't really afford them. The sad thing is that the filler episode in Strike Witches was one of the most entertaining episodes, but I wish they hadn't had it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: September 09, 2010, 01:02:51 am »

Finally finished Zatch Bell

I somehow expected more.

Though honestly I HATE typical anime tough enemy defeats. Do they use strategy, effort, or intelligence? Heck no! They simply gain super powered last second due to whatever reasons and completely overpower the villain.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: September 09, 2010, 01:11:54 am »

The only time I really mind filler is when there's a shortage of episodes as it is. 12 episode series like Area 88 and Strike Witches can't really afford them. The sad thing is that the filler episode in Strike Witches was one of the most entertaining episodes, but I wish they hadn't had it.
Because filler is eeeeeeeevil.
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 2193