Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3075860 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #4350 on: September 07, 2010, 07:46:01 pm »

Detective Conan (Case Closed) was canceled after like 163 episodes because it wasn't getting ratings.

I mean just the dub though, the normal show is still fine.

Yeah, Detective Conan is ranking in at well over 700-800 episodes. It's truly crazy, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you truly love the formula that gets used practically every episode, with actual plot occurring only every 50 episodes or so.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: September 07, 2010, 07:52:28 pm »

Anyone seen Naruto? How is that?
[...]
Last Exile seemed interesting.

Saw a couple of episodes of Naruto and hated it.  The animation is kind of weak and the pacing is problematic.

Last Exile is great, though!  I highly recommend it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: September 07, 2010, 07:59:15 pm »

Anyone seen Naruto? How is that?
[...]
Last Exile seemed interesting.

Saw a couple of episodes of Naruto and hated it.  The animation is kind of weak and the pacing is problematic.

Last Exile is great, though!  I highly recommend it.

Except it's about bleeding heart kids trapped in a story they can barely understand as they slowly drive you, the viewer, insane with their schizophrenic bullshit.

That's what I got out of it anyway.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: September 07, 2010, 08:01:02 pm »

... Last Exile?

I dunno, I just kind of enjoyed drooling over Alex, myself.  And the dogfights, and the animation, and everything else.

But then, I'm the sort of person who watches series I like 7 or 8 times.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: September 07, 2010, 08:06:32 pm »

... Last Exile?

I dunno, I just kind of enjoyed drooling over Alex, myself.  And the dogfights, and the animation, and everything else.

But then, I'm the sort of person who watches series I like 7 or 8 times.

I don't know, I tried watching it once, then gave it up once the story become a tangled, convoluted mess that was told in a way as to make itself unintelligible and unfollowable. Also, the kid's teen drama that slowly oozed it's way into everything they touched made even the dogfights disgusting to watch.

Then I picked it up again a year later, and dropped it again for exactly the same reasons.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: September 07, 2010, 08:14:14 pm »

Hmmm, okay.  I never had trouble following it or with the emotional bleed, but I'll keep what you've said in mind when I consider recommending it next time.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: September 07, 2010, 08:17:33 pm »

Hmmm, okay.  I never had trouble following it or with the emotional bleed, but I'll keep what you've said in mind when I consider recommending it next time.

If you can explain the story to me Vector, I'm all ears, because it was all just "OH MAN SHIT'S HAPPENING! Oh man people are talking again. OH MAN MORE SHIT'S HAPPENING! Oh man they're talking again, I have no idea what they're prattling about. OH MAN OLD MAN JUST GOT STABBED TO DEATH! WHY IS THIS SIGNIFICANT AGAIN? *Deletes series from harddrive*" to me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: September 07, 2010, 08:23:27 pm »

If you can explain the story to me Vector, I'm all ears, because it was all just "OH MAN SHIT'S HAPPENING! Oh man people are talking again. OH MAN MORE SHIT'S HAPPENING! Oh man they're talking again, I have no idea what they're prattling about. OH MAN OLD MAN JUST GOT STABBED TO DEATH! WHY IS THIS SIGNIFICANT AGAIN? *Deletes series from harddrive*" to me.

Well... which episode did you get to?  I can probably explain up to there, if you like.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: September 07, 2010, 08:29:24 pm »

Oh man I can't remember, I just hit a certain point and just started glazing over all the details because the show was failing spectacularly to keep my interest held, stunning animation or no. Plus, it was months and months and months ago.

Sorry if I've been a tad rude Vector, I've been listening to some angry music lately and I feel a might more aggressive as a result.

To Itnetlolor though, don't watch Naruto. Just, don't.

Or Bleach.

Or Inuyasha.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: September 07, 2010, 08:35:46 pm »

Yeah, Detective Conan is ranking in at well over 700-800 episodes. It's truly crazy, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you truly love the formula that gets used practically every episode, with actual plot occurring only every 50 episodes or so.
How... can you possibly stretch the same formula out so long?  I mean, what??

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: September 07, 2010, 08:37:37 pm »

How... can you possibly stretch the same formula out so long?  I mean, what??

Two characters: Ai Haibara, and Kaito Kid.

I loved those characters so much I'd watch dozens and dozens of episodes just waiting for them to show up and be completely awesome.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: September 07, 2010, 08:44:00 pm »

Oh man I can't remember, I just hit a certain point and just started glazing over all the details because the show was failing spectacularly to keep my interest held, stunning animation or no. Plus, it was months and months and months ago.

Sorry if I've been a tad rude Vector, I've been listening to some angry music lately and I feel a might more aggressive as a result.

Oh, no--don't worry about that =)  But if you ever get back into the show, I'd love to talk about it.  There were some points that I still felt shaky on, myself, so I imagine talking about it might help both of us.

Man, I haven't watched any anime for a long time... TTGL doesn't hold my attention anymore, and that's the only thing I have that I haven't finished.  Maybe I should just go read manga for a while.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: September 07, 2010, 08:47:43 pm »

What manga are you in to?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: September 07, 2010, 08:50:24 pm »

What manga are you in to?

His and Her Circumstances, Deathnote, Dragonball, One Piece... Ranma 1/2 and so on.  I also have a soft spot for Samurai Deeper Kyo and Blade of the Immortal.  I recently started reading a little Letter Bee as well, which is pretty neat.

Unfortunately, I own all of Monster but my kanji skills aren't up to snuff yet.  Need to go study more, because I really want to read that and the Kino's Journey light novels.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: September 07, 2010, 08:50:26 pm »

TTGL doesn't hold my attention anymore, and that's the only thing I have that I haven't finished.
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 2193