Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3073173 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #4065 on: August 18, 2010, 07:52:18 pm »

Insert weekly whining about Bleach.  NOTHING happens on that show anymore...

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: August 19, 2010, 12:34:00 am »

Its a terrible show. Dur.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: August 19, 2010, 12:42:36 am »

Insert weekly whining about Bleach.  NOTHING happens on that show anymore...

It seems to be the law of long haul animes that nothing is actually allowed to happen.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: August 19, 2010, 12:46:53 am »

Oh shit this is happening.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: August 19, 2010, 02:22:54 am »

A friend of mine said she had a video titled "Grave of the fireflies", apparently made by Studio Ghibli. Anybody seen it, and can anybody give their opinion on if I should see it?

Do you like being extremely depressed?
If so, this is the anime for you!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: August 19, 2010, 02:27:53 am »

A friend of mine said she had a video titled "Grave of the fireflies", apparently made by Studio Ghibli. Anybody seen it, and can anybody give their opinion on if I should see it?

You could be describing soo many animes. What is with people and flat out depressing animes?

I like my depression in moderation or at least with a happy ending.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: August 19, 2010, 02:29:14 am »

You could be describing soo many animes. What is with people and flat out depressing animes?

I like my depression in moderation or at least with a happy ending.

Trust me, man, unless you've watched Grave of the Fireflies, you've never become depressed because of an anime.

Now and Then, Here and There was also pretty heart wrenching. I watched it some years ago, though, so all I remember is that it is sad.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: August 19, 2010, 02:31:28 am »

Oh wait, Grave of the Fireflies is so happy, cheerful, and full of rai-
You know what, I can't even say that because of the sheer depressingess in that movie.
Been a while since I watched it last, I've been too cheerful lately. I should find it and watch it again.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: August 19, 2010, 02:32:20 am »

I don't know if you can top an anime where a girl finds a puppy and then it gets murdered just to make her sad, and then finds a boy she likes and he betrays her so she kills him.

I mean mindless depressing plotlines are easy to write. Just make sure anything happy that happens just manages to make the character more depressed. Find her long lost mother? Well have her mother outright admit she hates her and have them knife fight to the death where she manages to kill her mother, her mother falls ontop of her, and she has to get out covered in blood and cries her eyes out while people eye her like she is a maniac.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: August 19, 2010, 02:33:50 am »

Yes, they are. But mindless happy plotlines are easy to write as well. That's why mindful plotlines for both happy and depressing are the best kind of plotlines.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: August 19, 2010, 02:48:38 am »

Yes, they are. But mindless happy plotlines are easy to write as well. That's why mindful plotlines for both happy and depressing are the best kind of plotlines.

Naw mindless happy plotlines are a bit tougher... Not much tougher mind you, but a bit tougher then mindlessly depressing plotlines.

Because mindlessly happy plotlines arn't about having a lot of good things happen to your character but rather it is about having some sort of imaginary progress to be made towards a goal, usually a relationship. A good example of this is Oh My Goddess where no plotline is actually resolved.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: August 19, 2010, 03:14:06 am »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: August 19, 2010, 05:25:06 am »

I don't know if you can top an anime where a girl finds a puppy and then it gets murdered just to make her sad, and then finds a boy she likes and he betrays her so she kills him.
Yes you can. The main point is, not to make the plot mindless, otherwise the viewer won't suspend their disbelief, and won't relate to what's going on on-screen.
Having believable characters, with believable interactions, goes a long way towards making us care for what's happening to them. Throw in not too distant historical setting, and a real-life-based characters, and the viewer's subconsciousness won't be able to dismiss the drama as "just a fantasy".
Cue "The Pianist", or "Shindler's list". And of course, "Grave of the Fireflies".

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: August 19, 2010, 05:29:08 am »

Neonivek, you liked Elfen Lied, eh? :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: August 19, 2010, 05:30:21 am »

From his post, I'd say he loved it. >:D
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 2193