Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3073183 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #4050 on: August 18, 2010, 12:09:04 am »

WATCH IT

No serious, do it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: August 18, 2010, 12:12:38 am »

A friend of mine said she had a video titled "Grave of the fireflies", apparently made by Studio Ghibli. Anybody seen it, and can anybody give their opinion on if I should see it?

Extremely sad.  Extremely good.  Watch with a handkerchief.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: August 18, 2010, 12:13:51 am »

All this anti-war stuff I'm double watching maaaaaaan

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: August 18, 2010, 12:34:47 am »

A friend of mine said she had a video titled "Grave of the fireflies", apparently made by Studio Ghibli. Anybody seen it, and can anybody give their opinion on if I should see it?

"Extremely Sad" is an understatement. I know more than one person that consider it the single saddest thing they've ever seen. The saddest part is that the entire thing is based off a real man's diary.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: August 18, 2010, 12:36:38 am »

"Extremely Sad" is an understatement. I know more than one person that consider it the single saddest thing they've ever seen. The saddest part is that the entire thing is based off a real man's diary.
The sad thing is just hearing about the diary would not be sad, it takes an animated movie to get such a message across.
 Sadly.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: August 18, 2010, 12:38:14 am »

Just reading the diary would be plenty sad, but a storyteller has a certain touch.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: August 18, 2010, 12:39:31 am »

Regardless though, it's basically required reading in the anime world, so I must recommend it.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #4057 on: August 18, 2010, 01:23:54 am »

Wait, is it sadder than that one true-story gif movie on the internet about how kids got Animal Crossing and their paraplegic mother played with them, but they grew out of it and made fun of her behind her back sometimes because she played it ALL the time...

Yeah, if you haven't seen it, I don't want to spoil the ending and I don't remember where to find it. Those of you who have seen it, is it sadder than that?
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: August 18, 2010, 01:35:48 am »

I remember that story about the mother playing Animal Crossing, thanks for reminding me. Yes, it is sadder than that.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 01:37:23 am by JoshuaFH »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: August 18, 2010, 01:36:59 am »

Could someone link that?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: August 18, 2010, 02:28:27 am »

I've seen it as well, but even if I had the location I wouldn't say.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: August 18, 2010, 05:48:15 am »

Really great, though don't start watching it if you're not in a contemplative mood.
While being a Studio Ghibli production, this one hasn't been done by Miyazaki, rather by the other half of the team, whose name I can't remember. The guy has got a different style, more down-to-earth and realistic.

This one actually breaks out into the mainstream. I remember that the "Public Television"(TVP, one of the few national-sponsored TV channels 'round here) actually decided to air this once, and not in some midnight-y time slot either, as a part of their cultural mission or something.
God, was it weird to watch the announcer try and treat what she was saying seriously. "I mean, it's a cartoon, and you want me to talk about it as if it was another Bergmann movie? Srsly?"
Judging by my family's reaction to me watching it, which ammounted to telly showing cartoons=ignore the telly, as well by the fact that I've never heard of any other animated feature being aired since then(in TVP), whomever was responsible for airing this one was never listened to again, or learned his lesson well.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: August 18, 2010, 06:37:00 am »

The sad thing is just hearing about the diary would not be sad, it takes an animated movie to get such a message across.
 Sadly.

Well, it's technically based on a novel which is itself based on the writer's experiences in wartime Japan, so we may be forgiven for our inability to comprehend Japanese.

Still, it's probably the best animated film I've watched ever.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: August 18, 2010, 01:19:45 pm »

telly showing cartoons=ignore the telly
More room for me!

Lawton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: August 18, 2010, 06:50:20 pm »

Finished watching the second rebuild of evangelion. I like how everything that was broken, plot wise is being fixed. Obv the characters are being fixed, but the 3 eva treaty, the 9th angel scenes both got fixed from making no sense, and being ridiculously foreshadowed to the point of parody.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 2193