Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3072990 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #4020 on: August 15, 2010, 07:37:37 pm »

Probably does that while sitting on a toilet that HAS BEEN PASSED DOWN FOR GENERATIONS!
toilet paper THAT HAS BEEN PASSED DOWN FOR GENERATIONS

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: August 15, 2010, 09:05:59 pm »

Man, I just finished watching Fist of the North Star: The Legend of Roah: Chapter of Death in Love.

Whole title, CRAZY BADASS. I like this more than other FotNS stuff, since Kenshiro seems more fallibe, and actually gets beaten down a couple times.

Lawton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: August 16, 2010, 02:27:28 pm »

Shinji and warhammer40k. There is a reason that the author had to invent the "cerebellometer" to measure the number of heads exploded by his fiction.
Basically, the author puts some sort of Kamina/Ender Wiggin/Paul Atriedies thing in place of shinji, and it is hilarious and epic.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #4023 on: August 16, 2010, 04:55:17 pm »

Shinji and warhammer40k. There is a reason that the author had to invent the "cerebellometer" to measure the number of heads exploded by his fiction.
Basically, the author puts some sort of Kamina/Ender Wiggin/Paul Atriedies thing in place of shinji, and it is hilarious and epic.

True, but to clarify:

It's not a story where the author goes, "Okay, guiz, liek, instead of Shinji being stoopid, Shinji is, liek, totally fking awesome! yeah!"
It's actually even more antithetical to that, since the author (Charles Bhepin) is really proficient with his writing. The case is that there's a HUGE prologue that establishes Shinji's character way before he moved to Tokyo-3, so it's essentially a rewrite of Shinji's character rather a stupid "let's assume" fic. The only way that Warhammer 40k is really involved is that Shinji finds a chest full of WH40k figurines washed up on the shore, and from there on it affects his life drastically. There's also tons of references to WH40k and some things are designed after WH40k models.
(This was just to clarify for people reading your post so they didn't get a bad first impression of Shinji and Warhammer40k)
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: August 16, 2010, 04:57:50 pm »

Anyway, I started watching Brotherhood, and I must say that it is QUITE a bit more engaging and interesting that it's original predecessor, and I'm only 3 episodes in. Things are looking good for this series.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: August 16, 2010, 05:15:25 pm »

Anyway, I started watching Brotherhood, and I must say that it is QUITE a bit more engaging and interesting that it's original predecessor, and I'm only 3 episodes in. Things are looking good for this series.
I thought you've already seen the new series for some reason, yeah it's pretty awesome.  I went back to look at the original series (which I've never watched) and I prefer the new one 100 fold.
I'm on episode 34 or around there and the show is filled with "Holy Shit/Shit Just Got Real" moments.

Josh do you have a steam account because using that for instant chatting would be cool.
My steam username is "toony246811".

If you don't have an account and don't want to buy a game then send me the username you used for signing up that way we can chat for free.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:17:51 pm by ToonyMan »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: August 16, 2010, 05:25:37 pm »

Yea, they changed it quite a bit. There was alot less armstrong in the old one, and seemed slightly more serious, and his bro moment with Sig wasn't nearly as awesome.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can't say anything about the new one because I watched all of it already and would end up spoiling huge twists.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: August 16, 2010, 05:29:06 pm »

Well, the thing is, they made that first anime back way in 2003, when the series was not nearly done. So, when Ms. Arakawa (sp?) finished, or almost finished the manga, they began Brotherhood, which, IMHO (remember, IMHO.) is better than the first one, except for the fact that they made the Amestrian SMGs resemble RPKs instead of MP40s because MP40s are bitchin' awesome.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: August 16, 2010, 05:29:31 pm »

I thought you've already seen the new series for some reason, yeah it's pretty awesome.  I went back to look at the original series (which I've never watched) and I prefer the new one 100 fold.
I'm on episode 34 or around there and the show is filled with "Holy Shit/Shit Just Got Real" moments.

Josh do you have a steam account because using that for instant chatting would be cool.
My steam username is "toony246811".

If you don't have an account and don't want to buy a game then send me the username you used for signing up that way we can chat for free.

My understanding of Steam is primitive to say the least, but sure, let me see if I can download Steam, or atleast the chat client.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: August 16, 2010, 07:05:13 pm »

So, I just finished watching TTGL.

I also started watching Lucky Star. My reaction after the first episode: What the crap did I just watch, and why am I laughing so hard?
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: August 16, 2010, 07:23:04 pm »

Weeeeee!

I have to collect all the gifs of Shizuo doing something cool.

The only problem I have with this one is Shizuo is off-screen the entire time.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 07:29:36 pm by ToonyMan »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: August 16, 2010, 07:23:24 pm »

Lucky Star is amazing.  You won't be disappointed =)

Though to be honest, I'd suggest watching it in little bits and pieces.  I marathoned it and ended up getting bored (because it got to the point where I could guess the structure/resolution of a joke from its setup).  Watched it to the end, though, and it was certainly good.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lawton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: August 16, 2010, 07:26:25 pm »

True, but to clarify:

It's not a story where the author goes, "Okay, guiz, liek, instead of Shinji being stoopid, Shinji is, liek, totally fking awesome! yeah!"
It's actually even more antithetical to that, since the author (Charles Bhepin) is really proficient with his writing. The case is that there's a HUGE prologue that establishes Shinji's character way before he moved to Tokyo-3, so it's essentially a rewrite of Shinji's character rather a stupid "let's assume" fic. The only way that Warhammer 40k is really involved is that Shinji finds a chest full of WH40k figurines washed up on the shore, and from there on it affects his life drastically. There's also tons of references to WH40k and some things are designed after WH40k models.
(This was just to clarify for people reading your post so they didn't get a bad first impression of Shinji and Warhammer40k)
Thank you, clarification was very accurate and probably neccesary.

Bonus quote for you.
Shinji: "Make her a commissar. Immediately"
Flack 1: "But... this is japan... we don't even have that rank."
Flack 2: "Do it quick, or the Russians will make her an honorary one just to spite us"

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: August 16, 2010, 08:58:18 pm »

Yea, they changed it quite a bit. There was alot less armstrong in the old one, and seemed slightly more serious, and his bro moment with Sig wasn't nearly as awesome.

I can't say anything about the new one because I watched all of it already and would end up spoiling huge twists.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: August 16, 2010, 09:26:29 pm »

Alright Toony, feel free to message me on Steam, I guess. The name's JoshuaFH, nothing fancy.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 2193