Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3072689 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #3975 on: August 13, 2010, 11:40:47 pm »

Tomorrow's episode of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on Adult Swim is... episode one? Are you serious? This better be a joke, because if it isn't, I will consume the souls of the living until I can overthrow the dark sorcerers running AS and reinstate anime bliss.
Oh man, let me check.

FUUUUUUUUUUU

I guess I'll watch the sub to make up for it, but then what do I do when they show the actual episode 27 eventually?  Bah.

EDIT:
(I just topped three pages in a row, wow)

EDIT EDIT:
Okay, watched episode 27.  You could skip the episode and not miss anything, maybe Adult Swim is just going to skip the episode and go straight to episode 28 next week?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 12:19:32 am by ToonyMan »

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #3976 on: August 14, 2010, 12:30:57 am »

How can you have that kind of optimism when AS has restarted its series during the middle on so many occasions? Bleach, Ghost in the Shell, Inuyasha...
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: August 14, 2010, 03:18:39 am »

It's like saying that Bollywood is a medium. Anime is an industry, animation is a medium

A medium is any method or mode of transmitting information. Bollywood movies would count as a medium.

Anime is ANY animation from Japan and people often expand that definition to include any animation that uses that style. At the very least it is considered a "Style" (thus subset) of Animation. Though I am open to being incorrect.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 03:20:49 am by Neonivek »

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: August 14, 2010, 05:32:10 am »

Technically, 'anime' just means animation, of any kind, period. It's just 'animation' shortened to 3 syllables instead of the 6 needed to say it in Japanese.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: August 14, 2010, 02:37:51 pm »

Technically, 'anime' just means animation, of any kind, period. It's just 'animation' shortened to 3 syllables instead of the 6 needed to say it in Japanese.
While it might've been so when the word was borrowed from english, it's certainly not a case now. Anime, as a style of Japanese animation, has evolved in such ways as to become separate, and easily distinguishable by all, subset of the main body of animation.

Today, it's incorrect to call e.g. Toystory an anime, while of course, it's still true to call e.g.Akira an animation.

It's like saying that Bollywood is a medium. Anime is an industry, animation is a medium

A medium is any method or mode of transmitting information. Bollywood movies would count as a medium.

Anime is ANY animation from Japan and people often expand that definition to include any animation that uses that style. At the very least it is considered a "Style" (thus subset) of Animation. Though I am open to being incorrect.
"Style" and "industry" are corelated in such a close fashion, that I'm very well inclined to treat these as the same. Anime industry caters to a certain, unchanged for decades, audience, producing output of certain style, which pleases(is bought by) that very group.

I do not agree with calling anime or Bollywood a medium. Medium, as you said, is a mode of transmitting information, it's not information by itself. The two examples mentioned above contain within their definition a set of rules as to what stories can be told by them, not just how.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #3980 on: August 14, 2010, 02:42:12 pm »

Anime, denotation-wise, can be argued that it's just animation.

However, connotation-wise, it's clearly a style of Japanese animation, and we usually focus more on connotations than denotations.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: August 14, 2010, 02:42:32 pm »

Everywhere else in the world maybe, but in Japan it's still just short for animation.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: August 14, 2010, 02:42:59 pm »

How can you have that kind of optimism when AS has restarted its series during the middle on so many occasions? Bleach, Ghost in the Shell, Inuyasha...
Hope.
D:

Also these "what classifies an anime" discussions are lame.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: August 14, 2010, 02:46:01 pm »

Also these "what classifies an anime" discussions are lame.
Yeah. I kinda lost my train of thought half way through typing the post.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: August 14, 2010, 08:40:06 pm »

I've heard of Inuyasha before, but never seen it.

I'll ask you guys since I've noticed I seem to share tastes with some of you d00dz and ask...

Is it worth watching? I'm bored as fuck, I've resorted to reading...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: August 14, 2010, 08:46:42 pm »

Fanfiction is more worthwhile than Inu-Yasha.  Don't go there.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: August 14, 2010, 08:48:56 pm »

I disagree with the above poster. Inuyasha will kill less brain-cells than the fanfiction will. The early episodes at least are actually pretty good. Your Mileage May Vary on later episodes, mostly because there's waaaay too many of them.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: August 14, 2010, 08:51:53 pm »

I'll go with Vector because she's an ice cream.

Yeahh, that's not the best reason, but what the hell.

I googled it and went 'what the fuck.'
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: August 14, 2010, 08:55:09 pm »

I disagree with the above poster. Inuyasha will kill less brain-cells than the fanfiction will. The early episodes at least are actually pretty good. Your Mileage May Vary on later episodes, mostly because there's waaaay too many of them.

Depends on what you're reading, man.  I've found quite a bit of excellent fanfic.  You just have to learn how to detect it within the cesspools of rancid crap that tends to populate most fanfiction sites.

For example, the stuff on Livejournals tends to be a lot better.

Also, this is mostly because I read loads of Inu-Yasha in elementary school, watched a little, and then said "Oh my gawd, I am losing brain cells here and will soon be out of brain."  In my experience, fanfic is at least laugh-worthy in its horribleness.  Inu-Yasha is hard to laugh at.

Though Sesshoumaru and Rin are adorable.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: August 14, 2010, 08:56:40 pm »

Yeah, I read some great fanfiction, but I've seen my share of what-the-fuckery that scarred me forever.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 2193