Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3072676 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #3960 on: August 13, 2010, 02:02:57 pm »

I only read the manga, but I actually really liked it at the time.  Personally, I think it's one of the best things CLAMP has done.  The characters don't come off too Mary Sue-ish, the characterization is cute, and the art is really very crisp and dynamic.

I suggest reading Blade of the Immortal, though, if you liked Fist of the North Star.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: August 13, 2010, 02:15:44 pm »

The characters don't come off too Mary Sue-ish

It really stops being about the fights around the mid-point. Hense why the character's mary sueness really doesn't matter too much.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: August 13, 2010, 02:19:08 pm »

Clamp only keeps the mary sues down through sheer combat power and oversexualization of characters. And they still manage to not suck at times, somehow.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: August 13, 2010, 03:18:04 pm »

Ugh. I'm up to ep.24 of Gurren Lagann, and I don't think I'll be able to focus enough of my manly spiral energy to finish the crap.
Honestly, how did you guys managed? I so hoped that the hype was well founded in this case.

The show was indeed brilliant at the beginning - it was ridiculously bawdy, over the top, inventive, self refferential and different. It felt a bit like a homage to FLCL, if with less brains and more of the happy-go-lucky attitude - down to refferencing chicks on flying vespas.

But when the writers decided to get rid of the main character that carried the story, they failed to substitute an equally charismatic alternative - Simon is just too much of a typical shonen jump material, he's got no personality, no redeeming qualities, and goes by in the world by having luck and using amplified wishful thinking.
After Kamina's demise the whole story made a turn for the generic, with introduction of another typical shonen jump character of the princess, and associated plot elements. Seen that, been there, oh, how many times.
Other than that, nothing really happens, story-wise. Enemies come - enemies scary - Simon wishes to win very hard - enemies blow up and not scary anymore - bigger enemies come - Simon wishes HARDER - ad infinitum.
Nobody ever actually does anything, they just milk the deus ex machina to fix their problems.

Somebody please tell me there's some brilliant writing in the last three episodes, as I'd really like to not shove this show down the drain - it was very promising after all.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: August 13, 2010, 03:24:31 pm »

I haven't been able to finish it either, actually.  I'm planning to see it over the next couple of days, but I, too, found Nia kind of irritating and that the rest of the cast really didn't make up for That One Absence.

Meh.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: August 13, 2010, 04:20:42 pm »

Supposing I ought to hop on the "Haven't seen Gurren Lagann" boat as well. What I've seen of it looked quirky and neat, but it didn't spark my interest enough to get me to keep watching it. I've not been terribly inspired to watch a lot of stuff lately, to be honest... TV hasn't really been doing much to rekindle my faith in it, over the last many years.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: August 13, 2010, 04:43:58 pm »

TV hasn't really been doing much to rekindle my faith in it, over the last many years.

Surprisingly, I'm finding myself far more inspired by TV than I did in my youth--I actually have a couple of shows I find enjoyable now, for example.  That said, I think I'm in the boat with you on most of it.  Even the stuff I used to like quite well seems to have lost much of its touch.

Meh.  I should probably stop worrying about that and get back to the other stuff I'm supposed to be doing.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: August 13, 2010, 06:21:47 pm »

How tragic. We're growing out of anime.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: August 13, 2010, 06:23:38 pm »

4 years later you grow back in.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: August 13, 2010, 06:44:26 pm »

It is a medium so I don't really consider anyone to be capable of "Growing out" of anime anymore then I'd say someone is growing out of food.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: August 13, 2010, 06:47:02 pm »

Yeah, I can't say I'm growing out of it so much as that my taste is changing a bit.  I will still maintain that Dragonball is far and away the best manga I have ever read, even though it might not be suitable for me anymore as a growing and changing individual.

Also, I've always been much more of a manga person than anime.

Also also, I don't feel like any good shows have come out for quite a while.  This might be because I haven't seen them yet, but it feels like we're in a bit of a lull at the moment as far as anime goes.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: August 13, 2010, 07:38:57 pm »

It is a medium so I don't really consider anyone to be capable of "Growing out" of anime anymore then I'd say someone is growing out of food.
It's like saying that Bollywood is a medium. Anime is an industry, animation is a medium.

I'd love to discuss the topic some more, but I'm falling asleep as I type, so maybe tommorow.
Have a nice [insert time of day] folks!

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: August 13, 2010, 10:38:46 pm »

But when the writers decided to get rid of the main character that carried the story, they failed to substitute an equally charismatic alternative - Simon is just too much of a typical shonen jump material, he's got no personality, no redeeming qualities, and goes by in the world by having luck and using amplified wishful thinking.
After Kamina's demise the whole story made a turn for the generic, with introduction of another typical shonen jump character of the princess, and associated plot elements. Seen that, been there, oh, how many times.
Other than that, nothing really happens, story-wise. Enemies come - enemies scary - Simon wishes to win very hard - enemies blow up and not scary anymore - bigger enemies come - Simon wishes HARDER - ad infinitum.
Thats exactly my thoughts after ep14, where I'm stuck at the moment. Even Code Geass was much more awesome.

Watched Pandora Hearts recently. Such a good start, felt like Chrno Crusade for some eps, and totally wasted ending. I HATE it when they cannot come up with anything sensible and just throw off 'wait for second season!' crap.

Tried to watch 07 Ghost, SoulTaker, Vampire Knight and Chevalier D'Eon, but they all just make me facepalming.

Is there any show with good plot, dark atmosphere and meaningful ending being aired recently? (Well, not too recently, no ongoings except Kuroshitsuji II for me)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: August 13, 2010, 10:58:27 pm »

Considering watching this one animu about merdmaid yakuza clans.

Also, masa-san~
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #3974 on: August 13, 2010, 11:34:58 pm »

Ugh. I'm up to ep.24 of Gurren Lagann, and I don't think I'll be able to focus enough of my manly spiral energy to finish the crap.
Honestly, how did you guys managed? I so hoped that the hype was well founded in this case.

The show was indeed brilliant at the beginning - it was ridiculously bawdy, over the top, inventive, self refferential and different. It felt a bit like a homage to FLCL, if with less brains and more of the happy-go-lucky attitude - down to refferencing chicks on flying vespas.

Nobody ever actually does anything, they just milk the deus ex machina to fix their problems.

Somebody please tell me there's some brilliant writing in the last three episodes, as I'd really like to not shove this show down the drain - it was very promising after all.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, Mahou Sensei Negima manga drawing to a close very soon (Unless they somehow pull ANOTHER arc out of their ass, but this current one has lasted many, MANY chapters, so it's unlikely). I really hope Evangeline makes an appearance finally. This is like her cup of tea, and she's just sitting there acting nonchalant about all the stuff that's going down. GO AND HELP NEGI ALREADY! Bleugh.

Tomorrow's episode of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on Adult Swim is... episode one? Are you serious? This better be a joke, because if it isn't, I will consume the souls of the living until I can overthrow the dark sorcerers running AS and reinstate anime bliss.

And, finally, Shinji and Warhammer40k fanfiction is STILL NOT UPDATED. Damn you, Charles Bhepin, for making the most badass fanfiction to ever exist and then TAKING FOREVER TO CONTINUE IT!
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 2193