Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067440 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #3585 on: July 11, 2010, 01:47:09 am »

I sort of share a similar taste. Of storybook worlds and clear cut good and evil and things working on different levels for children and adults and stories that constantly try to stay engaging because little kids have short attention spans.

Not to mention that in Child's works characters tend to show strength through character, often gentleness, which highly appeals to me. I don't like negative characters being the heros (The Rogue archtype never appeals to me for main characters).

It is the main reason why I can't stand Deathnote... I dislike Light and many episodes focus on him killing everyone.

My favorite endings have always been where everyone wins. Even the villain.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: July 11, 2010, 01:48:27 am »

What about chronically depressed main characters who are generally pretty nice guys?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: July 11, 2010, 02:09:03 am »

What about chronically depressed main characters who are generally pretty nice guys?

If it is an adult series then being nice is usually a negative quality or one that seems so at first.

Likely they are unhappy because they so nice and they need to take action with their life. Am I close?

Let me see... a lot like the nice guy who doesn't get the girl but gets her at the end?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 02:11:52 am by Neonivek »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: July 11, 2010, 02:17:37 am »

Spoiler: In Darker than Black (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: July 11, 2010, 02:32:29 am »

Spoiler: In Darker than Black (click to show/hide)

UUUUUGH...  ::)

Yes I forgot about that

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: July 11, 2010, 02:36:38 am »

If it is an adult series then being nice is usually a negative quality or one that seems so at first.

Likely they are unhappy because they so nice and they need to take action with their life. Am I close?

Let me see... a lot like the nice guy who doesn't get the girl but gets her at the end?

Unhappy because he has great luck, which seems to be an effect of him draining luck from those around him, causing everyone he loves to die, aside from the most capable.
And then there's the whole immortality thing.
The girl thing is quite complicated, but I could explain it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: July 11, 2010, 02:57:38 am »

Dang superflawed dark characters :P

What next a book where the male lead is an abusive stalker who could kill his lover at anytime?

It doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in... I have too much sympathy for characters to enjoy something about how they are so miserable.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: July 11, 2010, 03:04:54 am »

Superflawed characters are the best.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: July 11, 2010, 06:30:43 am »

Has anyone seen the new Digimons, they are a bit wierd but ok nontheless, also Kamina glasses :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: July 11, 2010, 06:46:03 am »

Not to mention that in Child's works characters tend to show strength through character, often gentleness, which highly appeals to me. I don't like negative characters being the heros (The Rogue archtype never appeals to me for main characters).

This is why I watch one piece. The carefree and good nature of the characters is awesome. I usually watch a whole bunch when I'm feeling depressed.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: July 11, 2010, 09:39:52 am »

Hi!

Adult and children entertainment is actually already something that is highly questionable. After all, how do you define either beyond the erotic field (and even there there seems to be a gray zone, at least in Japan (^_^;; )?

Actually, that was the main reason that turned me away from American animation and towards Japanese animation: Even though the bulk is aimed at children, Japanese animation (and even more so Japanese manga for children) can actually have proper characters and proper stories, even reaching a great depth, something I never really saw with American animation.

Personally, I also reject the concept that an adult should not be allowed to enjoy things designed with children in mind. Besides the definition problem mentioned above, I see no logical reason to say that an adult should not enjoy whatever traits he or she may enjoy in those items. Unlike adult materials and children viewers, there is no reason to assume that the inadequate (????) material could cause any harm to the mental development of the adult.

By the way, finishing the 6th part of the Higurashi no naku koro ni series, I am now absolutely sure that the original sound novels are aiming at non-adults. You see, after finishing the 6th part, you get a staff room you can view, where the creator talks about suicide of Japanese pupils, and how they should turn to their friends, their parents, or their teachers if they are subjected to bullying. And if that seems not possible, they should use help hotlines which are staffed with trained volunteers. The interesting thing is, that advice is directly aimed at the reader, making it clear that he thinks the reader could be subject to bullying at school.

And while I am mentioning it, for those looking for a recommendation for a good anime series, Higurashi no naku koro ni is my universal recommendation :) :) :) :)

Deathworks

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: July 11, 2010, 01:48:47 pm »

This is why I watch one piece. The carefree and good nature of the characters is awesome. I usually watch a whole bunch when I'm feeling depressed.
One Piece is awesome.  It's the longest series I'm catching up on.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: July 11, 2010, 02:54:29 pm »

I sort of share a similar taste. Of storybook worlds and clear cut good and evil and things working on different levels for children and adults and stories that constantly try to stay engaging because little kids have short attention spans.

It is the main reason why I can't stand Deathnote... I dislike Light and many episodes focus on him killing everyone.

My favorite endings have always been where everyone wins. Even the villain.

You did watch Deathnote right? Light Yagami is the villian. Yer suppose to dislike him. Hes bat shits insane.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: July 11, 2010, 03:00:54 pm »

You did watch Deathnote right? Light Yagami is the villian. Yer suppose to dislike him. Hes bat shits insane

He is what they call the villain protagonist.

Your supposed to become engrossed in him and often cheer him on wondering what he will do next.

Also a LARGE amount of his Fanbase actually like Light. Which if I remember correctly was something the author himself disliked.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: July 11, 2010, 03:31:44 pm »

You did watch Deathnote right? Light Yagami is the villian. Yer suppose to dislike him. Hes bat shits insane

He is what they call the villain protagonist.

Your supposed to become engrossed in him and often cheer him on wondering what he will do next.

Also a LARGE amount of his Fanbase actually like Light. Which if I remember correctly was something the author himself disliked.
If that was intent, then I found it fails for me. I love the riveting cat and mouse and chess match style, but Light was a despicable bat insane character with a god complex. Hes likable when he has lost of memory and working along side L, but a lot of the negative characters vanish when he no longer under the influence of the book.

Thats something I dont understand about fandom at a whole. Theres always someone who will love the villians even if they arent really redeemable. Some Villians I can get, as their cool. Light is cool villain to watch, but I still disliked him. Mallfoy in Harry Potter. Hes spineless, shallow, elitist and a coward. And yet, there the swooners over him.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 2193