Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067097 times)

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #3510 on: July 01, 2010, 11:40:43 pm »

I suggest not watching season two at all if you can help it. Hei ceases to do anything badass after the second episode. The main character is now a little Russian girl who falls in love with Hei, however he's to busy pining over his Doll.

I remember liking the first season, but the second season was littered with pedophilia undertones, and a lack of badass action and good drama that made the first season great.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: July 01, 2010, 11:44:24 pm »

The assistant.

Oh god the assistant.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #3512 on: July 02, 2010, 07:14:30 am »

Anyone know of any anime with a traditional 'fantasy' setting? I vaguely remember one from a long long time ago, but can't remember the name...
Another option would be the Slayers series.

Been reading Mahou Sensei Negima. It's a good manga, but I'm having a very hard time identifying the girls by sight, except for Asuna and the sword girl. Are any of the anime any good?

The anime series is similar to what the first anime running of Full Metal Alchemist is. It's an alternate story with a different ending that occurs VERY early compared to the manga. There are some OVAs released that cover later manga arcs that are alright, but somewhat useless if you don't know the arc since it'd be a lot like watching a ten year old English mage/teacher with a ton of girls doing stuff at a random place with what appears to be no plot.

Don't worry about not identifying the girls by sight, considering there's sooo many. I'm current with the manga, and I'm still not able to remember all of their names, though I can tell them apart and what makes them unique.

Since people are talking about anime comparable to NGE, let me state again, that Higurashi no naku koro ni is really a very strong contender. Especially when you read between the line and watch it very carefully ...
I'll have to look into that when I get back to Uni this fall. How's it similar?

Does NGE have worse than mutilation, people being eaten alive/cut open so their organs are showing/have their heads exploded/tortured to death/impaled/ripped apart/blown apart/incinerated?
I don't think I can answer that in any detail without giving out major spoilers, but the answer is yes, especially in the movies. Otherwise, everything is more like extreme mental and physical trauma. It's far more effective if you feel like you can see things from the characters' perspectives, because it helps you realize just how screwed up everything is.

NGE isn't bad at all, really.
Have you seen End of Evangelion?
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: July 02, 2010, 07:47:47 am »

Can't be bothered to go for anything overdepressing at the moment.

Spoiler: Higurashi (click to show/hide)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: July 02, 2010, 11:03:06 pm »

Newest episode of Bleach was "eh."  Intriguing final form for the almost-last-but-there's-probably-more-somehow bad guy, but seriously that's 8/10 bad guys gone now, and just having 5 was supposed to assure the destruction of Soul Society.  I'm also doubting there's anything resembling sportsmanship or fair fights in this show anymore.

When did they continue the main arc, i couldn't bring myself to watch the filler episodes, at which episode does it end?
Episode 266 is when it continues, they are currently at... 277.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: July 02, 2010, 11:58:45 pm »

It's much funnier to watch it if you don't have to wait a week between each episode.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: July 03, 2010, 11:31:46 am »

Hi!

Since people are talking about anime comparable to NGE, let me state again, that Higurashi no naku koro ni is really a very strong contender. Especially when you read between the line and watch it very carefully ...
I'll have to look into that when I get back to Uni this fall. How's it similar?

Well, the similarity lies in the psychic nature of the story. We get to enjoy a hell ride into paranoia and insanity. However, the fall is probably a bit deeper as we don't have the background of an invasion/giant robo anime, but instead things are taking place in a small, idyllic Japanese village in the 1980s (June 1983, to be precise, as far as the current time of the story is concerned).

So, we start out with a bunch of normal, happy teenagers, and see how doubt and suspicion turn into paranoia and finally violent insanity.

In addition, Higurashi no naku koro ni also has many aspects where you are not sure what the meaning of it all is (at least during the first season. I am still in the process of playing the games of the answer arc which should provide the answers). So, even beyond the decay itself, you get the feeling that something is horribly wrong there, but the truth keeps eluding you, just showing some hints here and some hints there...

Just as a sidednote, while the OVA ending does have its erotic appeal, I personally prefer the psychotic ending of the original series :) :) :)

Deathworks

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: July 04, 2010, 04:13:09 am »

Higurashi no naku koro ni

Thanks for the info, I'll keep my eye out for it when I get back.

Just as a sidednote, while the OVA ending does have its erotic appeal, I personally prefer the psychotic ending of the original series :) :) :)

I'm actually fine with any of the endings. The original, though it has a lot of evidence for being a cop-out, does have a far more mental perspective. I think I prefer EoE, though, because it seems to have so much more grandeur. It's also a far more violent ending, and it gives some appearances to some of the forces working in the background.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I haven't gotten around to seeing Death and Rebirth, nor the newest OVA series past the first movie. I'm really excited to see what they're going to do with it this time. Also, considering the live action movie seems to be coming along, there'll be plenty of NGE content to enjoy in the coming future.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: July 04, 2010, 05:07:50 am »

Well, Parn is no Kamina. He is in the negatives on the Kamina Masculinity scale. (Kamina = Infinite Maniliness. Average male is 10.)

Still an alright anime though.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: July 04, 2010, 03:46:37 pm »

Don't ever let General Fehfur take out his katana, everHe will raep you.

I'm not even sure if that's his name.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: July 04, 2010, 07:30:51 pm »

If you're talking about FMA, I'm pretty sure that he's General Bradley, Fuhrer of Amestria (Not sure if it's Amestria or not, but I've heard General Bradley tossed around a bit, or at least King Bradley, but his title is Fuhrer, a reference to Nazi Germany I bet).

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: July 04, 2010, 07:32:48 pm »

If you're talking about FMA, I'm pretty sure that he's General Bradley, Fuhrer of Amestria (Not sure if it's Amestria or not, but I've heard General Bradley tossed around a bit, or at least King Bradley, but his title is Fuhrer, a reference to Nazi Germany I bet).
Okay I'll remember that.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: July 04, 2010, 07:49:17 pm »

"Wait, Toony, this guy is called their Fuhrer? And the main character is a blond white dud- Waitwaitwait, war of extermination? Toony, why am I watching an Anime on Nazis?"
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: July 04, 2010, 08:53:03 pm »

The Fuhrer is actually Fritz Lang.

DUN DUN DUNNNN
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: July 04, 2010, 09:31:32 pm »

FMA parodies stuff like that. They also incorporated the 7 deadly sins into the homunculus even though there was no reason for it  :D
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 2193