Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066362 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #3225 on: June 06, 2010, 07:40:12 pm »

Yeah I'll click that when I'm ready hehehe.

Lawton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: June 06, 2010, 08:04:06 pm »

Are they all dark? I could use something lighter after NGE.
They're all have one sort of dystopia or another for their setting, so yes, all dark.
Ergo Proxy is probably the only one not depressing of the bunch.

I can't really think of anything that would qualify as brainy and not dark at the same time.
Haibane Renmei maybe? There's still a lot of shadows lingering about, but overall it's pretty bright and hopeful.
Ah, right, Serial Experiments Lain. Not exactly brimming with joy, but not bathing in angst and despair either.

Ok, the more I think about it, the more anime I can remember which actually fit there. There's always some dark, mature themes in these, but it's only fair - it's hard to make a psychological comedy sitcom:
Mushi-shi(or Mushishi) - that's probably your best choice. Very calming, serene and thought provoking at the same time.
Kino's Journey(aka Kinoo no tabi) - shit happens in this one, but the overall feeling somehow stays uplifting
The Sky Crawlers - on the level of GITS movies most likely. I wonder if that's because it was made by the same guy.
Welcome to the NHK - now that's more of a >psychiatric< cases study rather than just psychological, but it's great nonetheless, and keeps a healthy dose of humour, somewhat in spite of the depressing lives of the protagonists.
Thanks.
Of course I expected it would mostly be dark, of course. Happy people aren't interesting.
I am cheered now after watching Horrible Turn, a hilarious Dr. Horrible fan prequel, so I can get back to the darker stuff, starting with GITS.
Appreciate your help.

Lawton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: June 06, 2010, 08:21:29 pm »

One last thing. Being introduced to anime, and more importantly NGE in particular, has taught me two things. A. Don't knock it till you tried it. I kinda thought anime was all about teh fanservice / too light for me.
B. I have hope... for an Ender's Game movie that doesn't suck. They could pull it off in anime. Only way to do the extended psych and naked fight scenes among teens effectively, since it would never fly in Live action. NGE is basically proof of concept, and since I love Ender's game, this makes me happy.

Now I hope that the Enders game live action movie and GITS live action aren't as bad as I expect they will be. I guess GITS might be able to work, the lighter episodes at least.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: June 06, 2010, 08:47:26 pm »

Incineration first, questions later.

Spoiler: A much later episode (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: June 07, 2010, 12:13:53 am »

AND BESIDES, HE'S MOTHAFUKKIN ROY FUKIN MUSTANG ARG
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: June 07, 2010, 03:19:03 pm »

Wow you guys are only at episode 17, damn i just watched ep 60, and god damn does it become a non-stop mindfuck, i mean come on what the shit dude

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: June 07, 2010, 04:06:55 pm »

No, we are not all on episode 17.  I'm stuck behind because I'm watching it with someone else and he prefers dubs and I don't want to know more than him because that's kindof a jerk move.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: June 07, 2010, 04:34:39 pm »

I find it great fun to do that, dropping little hints, keeping them on the edge of their seat, then when they realize it's not that big of a deal they usually freak :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: June 07, 2010, 04:37:33 pm »

Yeah teasing with people is really fun...
:/

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: June 07, 2010, 04:46:43 pm »

Wow you guys are only at episode 17, damn i just watched ep 60, and god damn does it become a non-stop mindfuck, i mean come on what the shit dude

I'm waiting for Eclipse to sub Ep 60. They're a day late so far, though it'll probably be up later this night.

Episode 59 was crazy. Actually, so were episodes 58 and 57. 56, even. I preferred the first opening/ending, but the newest one isn't bad.

On the subject of livestreaming anime: Something like that seems pretty simple to set up. If anyone decides to, I'd probably tune in. I have a ridiculous number of anime archived (~550 GB), most of which I haven't even watched, so I might consider setting one up some time. Most of my stuff is subbed, though I do have some dual-audio.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: June 07, 2010, 05:08:26 pm »

I've read the manga, and yeah, it gets pretty insane later on.  Although technically it's not finished yet... I think?

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: June 07, 2010, 10:19:57 pm »

I'm still wondering why Hawkeye thinks that wearing glasses and letting her hair down is a decent disguise.

seriously.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3237 on: June 07, 2010, 10:50:11 pm »

I've read the manga, and yeah, it gets pretty insane later on.  Although technically it's not finished yet... I think?
Actually, I think I heard that they're putting a closer on the series soon. :(

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: June 07, 2010, 10:53:54 pm »

Anyone else who's played Bleach: Shattered Blade on the wii?

Anyone else who can confirm that the story is crap and that even with the story, Chad + Ichigo and Ichigo + Orihime fights make no flipping sense?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: June 08, 2010, 12:26:32 am »

Anyone else who's played Bleach: Shattered Blade on the wii?

Anyone else who can confirm that the story is crap and that even with the story, Chad + Ichigo and Ichigo + Orihime fights make no flipping sense?

Did you expect the story to make sense  :P

I actually prefer the dubs in full metal which is pretty unusual for me. I also like dubs in cowboy beebop and samurai champloo because they do a little localizing and sound pretty good in general.
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 2193