Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067195 times)

Rabble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #3060 on: May 18, 2010, 07:57:25 am »

Are you watching sub or dub? If possible, get the sub as the original voice actors have done a terrific job at conveying the atmosphere.
Subs  :D I like all the VAs except for the police dude.

I hope you are not saying you are not getting any sleep because of the anime being scary :) :)
After all, it is free for all ages (at least the games are in Japan :) :) :) ).
I guess the Japanese have much thicker skin than I do. This whole show creeps me out. It's not even 'scary' like a regular horror movie where the 'scare' comes from stuff jumping out, it's more of a confused, sinking feeling that something is really, really wrong with everything, and I'm not even sure where to start looking.
Also, apparently I freak out at the weirdest things:
Spoiler: "Episode 3 I think" (click to show/hide)

It really gets under your skin.
Yes, yes it does.  :'(
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:59:58 am by Rabble »

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: May 18, 2010, 08:20:35 am »

Hi!

Well, I told you it was a great series. It is subtle in its terror, and even the most brutal scenes have an artistic appeal to them...

You shouldn't be too worried about being a bit unsettled by the series, though. The TVTropes site lists higurashi as High Octane Nightmare Fuel (I am linking to the explanation of what the term means. Note that their entry for higurashi itself is full of spoilers).

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy watching this as much as I did.

Deathworks

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: May 18, 2010, 09:33:19 am »

Hi!

Are you watching sub or dub? If possible, get the sub as the original voice actors have done a terrific job at conveying the atmosphere.

I hope you are not saying you are not getting any sleep because of the anime being scary :) :)
After all, it is free for all ages (at least the games are in Japan :) :) :) ).

Hawkfrost: I am really impressed by how the anime combines the great story of the games with a really perfect visual interpretation which is further supported by the great voice acting. I mean, the choreography of the nail ripping scene (not only the process itself, but the dialogue that leads up to it), that is really just overwhelming. It really gets under your skin.

Deathworks
EWW DON'T REMIND ME DON'T REMIND ME

Seriously, the time I woke up (early in the morning) and thought it was real was the most terrifying moment of my life.  It lasted roughly 5 seconds.

I think the games were 17+... apparently the series was one of the reasons the new 17+ rating for games was made :P.

Also, it isn't just listed as HONF... it's got its own ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE PAGE dedicated to them (warning: massive spoilers).

And Rabble, believe it or not, the first arc of the series is even worse when you look back at it retrospectively.

Rabble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: May 18, 2010, 09:42:48 am »

Yeah, I am enjoying it, funny how it simultaneously provides terror and enjoyment. And no, I don't normally enjoy terror.

@Leafsnail
:rage: you have no idea how much I have to resist the temptation to open that spoiler argh. The last episode I finished was 6, have to wait till I get home from class (~7 hours) to continue.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: May 18, 2010, 09:48:43 am »

Yeah, I am enjoying it, funny how it simultaneously provides terror and enjoyment. And no, I don't normally enjoy terror.

@Leafsnail
:rage: you have no idea how much I have to resist the temptation to open that spoiler argh. The last episode I finished was 6, have to wait till I get home from class (~7 hours) to continue.

First part, agreed.

Second part, it's a When They Cry, so yes.  Both series are told in these loops (or "episodes"... confusing if you're watching the anime :P).

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: May 18, 2010, 10:12:58 am »

What about the manga? What order do you read them in?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: May 18, 2010, 01:54:50 pm »

Hi!

I can't comment on the manga, sorry.

I have watched the first season of Higurashi in the subbed version.
And now, when I am not playing Dwarf Fortress (^_^;;. I am playing the original Japanese games (bought them via my favorite online store). That is why I am sure that they are free for all ages in Japan. I am currently in the first game of the second set (Kai; the Shion story).

That is all the contact I have actually had with it. (Besides seeing a few things about it on Youtube, like samples of the dub and a long version of the title song)

Deathworks

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: May 18, 2010, 02:19:58 pm »

Really?  Everything I looked at said it had a "D" (17+) rating :/.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: May 18, 2010, 02:33:42 pm »

Hi!

Well, DLSite.com, the shop where I bought them lists them in their free for all ages section, but I have to admit that DLSite.com is somewhat lenient on that:

http://home.dlsite.com/work/=/product_id/RJ036354.html

Vector, on the other hand, does not feature any adult content (they have a sister site for that) and they divide their titles into normal titles, and those containing things not good for elementary and middle school pupils. Currently, Higurashi (ひぐらしのなく頃に) is listed on the fourth page of their horror adventure list sorted by popularity; and if you look further down on the list, you will see the thick black bar separating it from the nastier stuff. So, Higurashi is considered okay for elementary and middle school pupils, it seems:

http://www.vector.co.jp/vpack/filearea/win/game/avg/horror/index_004.html

(I hope it is alright to post the links to the information pages; if not, please tell me and I will remove them)

Deathworks

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: May 18, 2010, 02:44:34 pm »

Can't actually read Japanese (hence why I'm playing through the second series of games - they've mostly been translated :P) but I just found out ratings from A-D on CERO's scale are "advisory", and thus not enforced.  Therefore, yes, they can sell it to people of any age.  Z games are strictly 18+.  Weird system... but I guess you can't really produce much ID to prove you're 17.

Rabble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: May 18, 2010, 07:50:45 pm »

Just finished the second arc, episode 8

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: May 18, 2010, 08:01:53 pm »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: May 18, 2010, 09:23:35 pm »

Can't actually read Japanese (hence why I'm playing through the second series of games - they've mostly been translated :P) but I just found out ratings from A-D on CERO's scale are "advisory", and thus not enforced.  Therefore, yes, they can sell it to people of any age.  Z games are strictly 18+.  Weird system... but I guess you can't really produce much ID to prove you're 17.
Translated? Where?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: May 18, 2010, 11:18:32 pm »

Translated? Where?
Mangagamer.com has quite a few of the Higurashi titles translated, but the quality leaves rather a lot to be desired.

Witch Hunt is translating Umineko. It's a fan translation, so there are probably fewer errors.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: May 19, 2010, 01:47:23 am »

That end scene is such a "HOLYSHIT" moment.

Spoiler: Spoilers damn you. (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 2193