Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067560 times)

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #1755 on: February 17, 2010, 10:27:06 pm »

So, I finished watching Bamboo Blade. It's a slice-of-life anime about a high-school Kendo team, 26 episodes.

It wasn't great, but I liked it (the reason eludes me). I guess I liked the characters even though they were rather archetypal?

Anyway. Towards the end it got a little angst-ey but fortunately that was cleared up quick. The ending, overall, didn't leave me satiated. It left me wanting to see the series continue, even though it was rather average.

Apparently the manga is still running and has been going for a while... if only I could comfortably read comics/manga on a computer.

At any rate, I'm considering importing some manga (in Japanese) in an effort to improve my reading abilities. I have several dictionaries lying about, plus a grasp of grammar and vocabulary, so I might as well give it a shot. Does anyone have any particularly enthralling shounen (...I'll need furigana, after all) manga?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: February 17, 2010, 10:34:50 pm »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: February 17, 2010, 10:37:59 pm »

I really enjoyed reading Death Note.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: February 17, 2010, 10:39:01 pm »

Is it any different from the anime?

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: February 17, 2010, 10:43:52 pm »

On the third episode of Bantorra, which involves the symbolic rape of the closest thing to the male lead. I won't spoil it, but it didn't involve fighting or sex, and at the end of it a well endowed older woman was standing triumphantly over a whimpering boy curled in the fetal position. Blood was involved.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: February 17, 2010, 10:48:26 pm »

At any rate, I'm considering importing some manga (in Japanese) in an effort to improve my reading abilities. I have several dictionaries lying about, plus a grasp of grammar and vocabulary, so I might as well give it a shot. Does anyone have any particularly enthralling shounen (...I'll need furigana, after all) manga?

I have more shounen manga in Japanese than anyone's business.  Dragonball is surprisingly amazingly good, given its awkward transition to English.  Same goes with One Piece.  I can't endorse Bleach or Naruto, though... never really liked them.

Rurouni Kenshin--excellent.

Samurai Deeper Kyo--a bit hard to read, but generally good.

Black Jack (original version).  Completely amazing.

Death Note is also good.  Manga's a lot better than the anime.

Hm... oh, and once you graduate past needing furigana, Saikano is excellent.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: February 17, 2010, 10:51:10 pm »

...furigana?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: February 17, 2010, 10:53:56 pm »

Is it any different from the anime?

The magna is like a hardcore sherlock homles battle of wits to the death, and most chapters ending on a cliff hanger.

Anime is like cheese ball.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: February 17, 2010, 10:55:27 pm »

...furigana?

You know the Chinese characters the Japanese use as one of their (non-phonetic) alphabets?  Furigana are the little pronunciation guides next to them for younger readers.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: February 17, 2010, 11:01:13 pm »

Halo: Lengend is like a poor man Animatrix. Not done yet.

I wish they gave it an honest budget though, the limit cell animation really make it look cheap in some of these stories, like in Origins.

Finished it. If I wasn't broke, I would probably buy it. Its overall pretty okay. I think it over used the trope of
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There some oddities with the timeline, and some of the cool gadgets were kinda of stupid. It was nice to see expansion on the universe, as well. Not all the stories were about John-117. My favorite spartan now is Spartan 1337. He falls out of pelicans. Face first.

Spoiler: Feature Character (click to show/hide)
seem a bit to young, and reminded me of samus. Not wrong stylization of her, just interesting.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:37:09 am by MrWiggles »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: February 18, 2010, 01:52:04 am »

I'm reading through the gunslinger girl manga, does anyone know if the anime was any good?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: February 18, 2010, 01:55:59 am »

I'm reading through the gunslinger girl manga, does anyone know if the anime was any good?

I remember watching it, but I can't remember a scant thing about it. It was a long time ago, you see.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: February 18, 2010, 02:13:55 am »

gunslinger girl? I recall something like that, i think i watched some of the anime.

I suggest the manga because the flashiest thing was here shooting with her hand behind her back. Fast movements are hard to capture in manga but you don't have to worry about that with this one.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: February 18, 2010, 05:04:05 am »

I started it up twice, Gunslinger girl, but both time I got my attention for something else. I like loli's and I like guns, it peeked my interest. I'll probably be trying to start it again if I cant find Hellgate, Count of Monte Cristo, Planetes, and Armor Trooper VOTOSM. Currently making a friend sit down and watch Avatar: The Last Airbender. Which in my opinion is the best western animation since Teen Titans.

Right now, western animation seems to sorta suck. Drama Team Island (probably have the wrong name) is watachable, but lacks something. I think it fails for me because it tries to be as much a reality show as a parady instead of one or the other.

Also, the last two batman cartoon sucked so much. Bleh. Although Brave and the Bold VA for batman, I highly approve of.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: February 18, 2010, 12:25:52 pm »

The main reason I'm leey of trying the anime of Gunslinger girl is that I doubt it will have the disturbing and somewhat frightening subtext that is prevalent in the manga so far.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 2193