Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067856 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #1680 on: February 12, 2010, 10:45:20 pm »

At the beginning i was like "Wait, this is Tank!." sure it changes, but still.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: February 12, 2010, 10:53:26 pm »

I don't think they sound that similar.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: February 12, 2010, 11:03:07 pm »

They both had a (Blaring instrument) play a few notes, and then they have (Stringed instrument) playing a few notes over and over again.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: February 12, 2010, 11:25:10 pm »

Ranma 1/2.

Dont go watch DBZ, as Toriyama can't draw peeples in proportion.

Don't go watch DBZ or Ranma 1/2, as Rumiko Takahashi went with the 4-heads-tall proportion and Toriyama's animators are terrible.

I have a couple of major peeves about the anime industry.  One is Naruto.  Another is everything shitty and terrible ever done to Dragonball.  I think the third is "English voice actors, in general."

*sigh*

It's the first manga I really liked, and when I was in middle school the other kids used to compare me to Vegeta.  Ah, memories...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: February 13, 2010, 12:07:25 pm »

Well, if you're looking for something passable, then Monster has alright dimensions for human people.

Ranma 1/2.

Dont go watch DBZ, as Toriyama can't draw peeples in proportion.

Don't go watch DBZ or Ranma 1/2, as Rumiko Takahashi went with the 4-heads-tall proportion and Toriyama's animators are terrible.

I have a couple of major peeves about the anime industry.  One is Naruto.  Another is everything shitty and terrible ever done to Dragonball

Which is like everything ever?

It's the first manga I really liked, and when I was in middle school the other kids used to compare me to Vegeta.  Ah, memories...

I'm tempted to ask why...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: February 13, 2010, 12:25:37 pm »

I have a couple of major peeves about the anime industry.  One is Naruto.  Another is everything shitty and terrible ever done to Dragonball

Which is like everything ever?

I'm tempted to ask why...

1. Terrible things done to Dragonball?  Yeah, pretty much everything ever that Toriyama wasn't directly responsible for (and even some things he was responsible for).  Shitty American voice acting, Saban edits, terrible attempts at localization, overuse of Chris Sabat to voice EVERYTHING THAT MOVES, all the bullshit with DBZ Kai, crap that has been done with movies and games and also that goddamned Orange Box Release blah blah blah

Seriously, I love that manga to death  :-[  It helped me through a lot of lonely years.

2. Let's see.  I'm short and used to have massive moodswings between ridiculous self-confidence, rage, and flailing depression.  I think it was mostly the rage that did it, because I had ginormous forehead veins and a bad habit of attacking/ambushing people.  Add to that the bit where I'm naturally reasonably good at fighting and couldn't make friends for years due to being a total nutjob... and there you go.

*sigh*

One of my nicknames is still "the prince." >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: February 13, 2010, 02:50:03 pm »

currently reading Eden; its an endless world.

its incredable, almost as good as the Akira manga, has anyone read either of them?
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: February 13, 2010, 05:46:53 pm »

GT is shit, I will give you that, as is the Buu Saga, but the anime isn't that bad, and the american VA are way better then the japanese one after the starting with the saiyan arc, and the voices used in dragonball are overall better then the japanese VA. Its not the greatest anime, for sure, there are better shonen jump one out there, like YYH. And the american cast is also way better then the spanish or, gosh forbid the Portugal VAs.

I dont understand your stance on the movie though. They're very neat 'what if' stories, with no ties to the sagas that I think has done better job at highlighting characters strength then the show does. My favorite movie is the tree of might, and the dead zone... the name escapes me of the movie that takes place in the afterlife with a lot of candy... That one shows Vegeta tactical thinking fairly well, something that more often stated then shown in the series. Most of them are okay.

I also don't understand your complaint of voice actor doing more then one role, thats fairly common in both american voice acting and japanese. Its economical and practical.

The editing, and localization arent that great, yea. The cartoon network DBZ mostly uncensored reshowing does a better job in my opinion with that.

I've read Akira once, a very fine read that everyone should read through once really. I havent heard of the eden one though. Whats it about?

I was reading this one magna, that was in the near future, about debris cleaning of earth orbit. One of the main characters started to do the work, as a debris cloud killed his wife, and during the first book he found his wife ring while cleaning deris. I cannot remember the name of it, its drive me bonkers.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: February 13, 2010, 06:11:37 pm »

MrWiggles, dear, must be Planetes. I've only watched anime, but due to plot similarity I suppose I can safely bet on it being a "based on" manga. Or maybe it was the other way around.

@de5me7: yeah, Akira was good. Not as good as Nausicaa or Blame!, but still better than most. And yeah, tell us more about this "Eden", please.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: February 13, 2010, 06:21:45 pm »

Eh, I personally prefer the Japanese voice actors/voice actresses.  The show's horribly dated, but the cast is quite excellent.  I mostly object to the "Chris Sabat voices everyone" thing that goes on--three totally unrelated main characters plus scads of little gimmick roles is too much for me.

The anime's writing/conversion is generally terrible.  What can I say?  I may be a hard-core Dragonball manga fangirl, but the anime just doesn't do it for me.  At all.  Further, "mostly uncensored" doesn't work.  Something is either censored or not, and I can't say I'm a fan of censorship.

I dislike the movies because I dislike the umpteen million unfaithful spinoffs that have resulted from Dragonball.  There's something that made it special which isn't captured there.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: February 13, 2010, 07:00:23 pm »

Eh, I personally prefer the Japanese voice actors/voice actresses.  The show's horribly dated, but the cast is quite excellent.  I mostly object to the "Chris Sabat voices everyone" thing that goes on--three totally unrelated main characters plus scads of little gimmick roles is too much for me.

The anime's writing/conversion is generally terrible.  What can I say?  I may be a hard-core Dragonball manga fangirl, but the anime just doesn't do it for me.  At all.  Further, "mostly uncensored" doesn't work.  Something is either censored or not, and I can't say I'm a fan of censorship.

I dislike the movies because I dislike the umpteen million unfaithful spinoffs that have resulted from Dragonball.  There's something that made it special which isn't captured there.

oh yea, I'm a hard core DBZ myself, I've been watching it since I was six, when DB was first aired on Fox 11 saturday run. I've played the horribly broken Instant Fuzion rpg book, and the crappy ps2 american release games. Though Number three, budikia(sp), was a solid tournament fighter that happen to be DBZ. A friend and I have been trying to design a DBZ rp system nearly ten years. DBZ seems to break everything. 

The VA in general varies, not all Japanese voice acting is good just like it varies with other dubbing, which have a harder task then the original team, that can be plainly see on how hard it is to do a good dubbing. If you really want a laugh, watch the spainish dubbing of superman. That shit is funniest, I've seen. For myself, it really depends on who I hear first, there very few anime that I can switch between VA cast and be fine. Ranma 1/2 is one of this, watching sub and dub back and forth doesn't bother me. Naruto, I cant watch the american dub, as I think the naruto voice actor lost a lot of heart for naruto and the underlying sympathy. The actor played him(naurto) to much like a loud mouth and missing his subtler qualities.

DB is dated, but it is old, it aged better then other contemporary anime from the time. Fist of the North Star looks much older then DB. The later sagas, when DBZ switched over to computer drawing have age better.

I think its an unfair criticism calling the movie unfaithful. Toriyama never really consider them cannon at all. He even iffy on the Trunk Future History and the Bardock: The Farther of Goku (deep dramatic voice there), so its an unfair expectation for them to be that when they never where in the first place. Thankfully they arent! How many times can krillin really meet gohan? And the gohan drunken song is poo, even if the damn thing impossible or nearly, to translate into english. (That was a major disconnect. Totally english, then wham thick japanese song!) They do however remain true to the characters, they dont seem to be acting differently then otherwise. With super android 13, when Goku summoned up the Spirit bomb, and it collapsed because he was SSJ and had a corrupted heart, then went ahead and punch the shit out of 13 with the super dragon fist. That really seem to harken back to DB during Red Ribbon army climax, where Goku was just sorta out of ideas, and just head butted the last actual threat.

Yes indeed it is Planetes! Thank you!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: February 13, 2010, 09:13:01 pm »

its incredable, almost as good as the Akira manga, has anyone read either of them?

Ahg, the Akira manga...I bought the first three volumes years ago...stopped buying them because they were super expensive for whatever reason. Because each volume was the size of a dictionary, I guess. I approve of gratuitous exploding heads, though.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: February 14, 2010, 01:07:44 am »

Proudly have 8 volumes of Eden on my bookshelf, I love the artists attention to detail.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1693 on: February 14, 2010, 02:44:22 am »

It's nice seeing FLCL on the [as] lineup again.

Forgot how awesome the show and soundtrack was. The Pillows are pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 02:50:32 am by Itnetlolor »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: February 14, 2010, 03:17:24 am »

It's nice seeing FLCL on the [as] lineup again.

Forgot how awesome the show and soundtrack was. The Pillows are pretty awesome.

FLCL one of those shows where I can keep watching it, and find something new.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 2193