Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3070481 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #1530 on: February 06, 2010, 10:10:37 pm »

Define 'Right'.
Any action/opinion/etc. that someone believes is true, good or "Right" (Damn this is hard to define.)
What about overall happiness? If slaughtering an innocent would bring happiness to everyone in the world that no other action could, would it be the right thing to do?
For this question, i will use an example. Lets say that this innocent is believed by all the citizens of a village to be a witch, including you. (This village is for arguments sake the entire world.) In your opinion, it is right and everyone else but the person believed to be a witch believes it is the right thing to do. If you kill her, it would have been the right thing to do, according to everyone in the world and you.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: February 06, 2010, 10:22:18 pm »

What the hell is this crap in the Anime thread? Why must every discussion devolve into fauxlosophic hypotheticals?

Anyway. I'm on episode 26 of Evangelion.

What the hell is this crap? I can hardly bring myself to watch it anymore. Why does everyone act like NGE is so great? I realize that at the time it was paving the way for a new generation of animated angst, but is that such a great thing? Every line in episode 25 could have been changed to "BAAAAWWWWW" and no content would have been lost. It would actually have been noticeably more entertaining.

It's also sad because if I had watched it when I first heard about it, at 13 or whatever, I probably would have thought it was the deepest shit ever.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: February 06, 2010, 10:23:38 pm »

Well, i watched it when i was 14 and i thought it was shit.

The last episode confused the shit out of me.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: February 06, 2010, 10:26:40 pm »

What the hell is this crap? I can hardly bring myself to watch it anymore. Why does everyone act like NGE is so great? I realize that at the time it was paving the way for a new generation of animated angst, but is that such a great thing? Every line in episode 25 could have been changed to "BAAAAWWWWW" and no content would have been lost. It would actually have been noticeably more entertaining.

It's not about deepness, it's about bothering the shit out of people.  There are some things it does very well.  There are some things it does not-so-well.  Mostly, we try to think about the well-done parts.  It may not be the show for you, but what it does is generally played to good effect.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: February 06, 2010, 10:31:02 pm »

What about overall happiness? If slaughtering an innocent would bring happiness to everyone in the world that no other action could, would it be the right thing to do?
For this question, i will use an example. Lets say that this innocent is believed by all the citizens of a village to be a witch, including you. (This village is for arguments sake the entire world.) In your opinion, it is right and everyone else but the person believed to be a witch believes it is the right thing to do. If you kill her, it would have been the right thing to do, according to everyone in the world and you.

Why does everyone, including me think this "innocent" to be a witch? How much happiness will this really bring the world? I mean was it the death of Hitler that brought that world happiness, or was it the satisfaction that his very real threat was at an end? If this innocent never was a threat to the world, where is the happiness?

If we're going to use an example to prove that morality isn't easily defined then using a Two Dimensional example is a bad idea.

Back on Topic:
The last 3 episodes aren't suppose to be deep. They literally ran out of money and had to work with what they had. Then Eva got big, now you have the (far better) movie remakes coming out.
I always thought Eva was a fun watch though. I was always amused that Shinji was the embodiment of the Female Protagonist in anime at the time, while Asuka acted like the fireyheaded male lead, and Rei acted like the Stoic male lead.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:39:54 pm by Creaca »

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: February 06, 2010, 10:38:08 pm »

It's not about deepness, it's about bothering the shit out of people.  There are some things it does very well.  There are some things it does not-so-well.  Mostly, we try to think about the well-done parts.  It may not be the show for you, but what it does is generally played to good effect.

Eh, It doesn't really bother me, except that I'm slightly bothered by the fact I'm still watching it >_> Other anime do a much better job of the "entertainingly uncomfortable" angle, but admittedly they all came after NGE. The beginning parts were entertaining, and I'm so close to the end I figure I'll watch End Of Evangelion. But I still feel like bitching about it a little more.

Episode 25 rundown :

Shinji : DADDY DOESN'T LOVE ME
Rei : WHO AM I
Misato : DAMNIT I NEED A MAN
Asuka : I'M USELESS PAY ATTENTION TO ME

End.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: February 06, 2010, 10:40:48 pm »

Episode 25 rundown :

Shinji : DADDY DOESN'T LOVE ME
Rei : WHO AM I
Misato : DAMNIT I NEED A MAN
Asuka : I'M USELESS PAY ATTENTION TO ME

End.

... Was being 14 not pretty much just like that?  It may be annoying to look at (just like FFVIII reminds you about how you really don't ever want to be Squall's age again), but it's strangely realistic.

Except for the cross-shaped explosions.  I can't explain those.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: February 06, 2010, 11:01:26 pm »

For an explanation of why NGE gets so much attention, i direct you to Gainax Ending.

Remember that Studio Gainax literally ran out of money about 3 episodes from the end of NGE. They were actually broke when they did the last few eps.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: February 06, 2010, 11:54:08 pm »

What the hell is this crap in the Anime thread? Why must every discussion devolve into fauxlosophic hypotheticals?

It's also sad because if I had watched it when I first heard about it, at 13 or whatever, I probably would have thought it was the deepest shit ever.

Because most mangakas have majored in psychology and/or philosophy?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: February 07, 2010, 12:16:16 am »

... Was being 14 not pretty much just like that?  It may be annoying to look at (just like FFVIII reminds you about how you really don't ever want to be Squall's age again), but it's strangely realistic.

Except for the cross-shaped explosions.  I can't explain those.

Well, except for the I NEED A MAN part. For me anyway. And I did say I probably would have thought it was great at that age. But I am not and I don't so I like to bitch on the internet.

For an explanation of why NGE gets so much attention, i direct you to Gainax Ending.

Remember that Studio Gainax literally ran out of money about 3 episodes from the end of NGE. They were actually broke when they did the last few eps.

Oh yeah, I read that on a trope binge one time and then promptly forgot. Still, is a Gainax Ending a...good thing? I seem to remember people gushing about the series over the years.

Because most mangakas have majored in psychology and/or philosophy?

What, Japan doesn't have art and literature majors for them to take?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: February 07, 2010, 06:43:41 am »

Yeah, that's something that was thrown together cheaply. For the real ending, take the detour to the movie. Much better.

Don't watch anything after that though, that's where Hideaki Anno gets aggravated by his fans and starts trolling the anime community.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: February 07, 2010, 07:12:08 am »

I read somewhere that, in Japan, failure to show a new episode was basically the same as being cancelled (in England and America, it's acceptable to have a repeat every now and again if a new episode isn't ready).  This is why shows such a Rozen Maiden have to press on even if they overtake their source material.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: February 07, 2010, 07:14:39 am »

I read somewhere that, in Japan, failure to show a new episode was basically the same as being cancelled (in England and America, it's acceptable to have a repeat every now and again if a new episode isn't ready).  This is why shows such a Rozen Maiden have to press on even if they overtake their source material.

Bokurano is one of the rare anime that overtook the source material and actually ended up being better for it.

I'm positive I've mentioned that before.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: February 07, 2010, 07:17:17 am »

I suppose Rozen Maiden probably ended up better too, considering its source material never actually properly finished.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: February 07, 2010, 07:19:27 am »

Oh, there's anime thread here?
Just watched Umineko, and well, it sucks. First game is nice, but then it goes downhill. Battler does not make sense, and Beatriche looks like *your typical mad villain* instead of 1000-year old almighty witch. Higurashi was way better.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 2193