Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060515 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #8850 on: August 23, 2011, 12:54:40 pm »

New chapter of TWGOK. Giant rapture on /a/, because it's simply glorious.
Need to catch up on the manga, like... RIGHT NOW!
Wow what a funny coincidence.  I'm almost done with the first volume I started yesterday night on a whim.  I'm gonna read some more Tower of God too.  Besides Fate/stay night of course...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:56:28 pm by ToonyMan »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8851 on: August 23, 2011, 01:13:58 pm »

It just keeps getting better and better, I tell you.
Also it looks like the third 'season' is breaking away from the traditional romance arcs.
Although maybe they will still be there, only in a more twisted way.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8852 on: August 23, 2011, 02:04:08 pm »

So I finished up watching two different series'.

First, I finished watching the TV aired episodes of Durarara! with Toony... And it's quite the show, in it's own way!

Someone asked me earlier if I could understand the plot better than they could so I could explain it to them, and I have a reply to you, sir. The answer being: the plot isn't complicated in even the most slight way, it's just stupid. That's probably what tripped you up, since this is the progeny of the same man that made Baccano!, which was actually quite confusing, but fun to follow, and, now that I think about it, also gets really stupid near the end as well.

Now, what are my complaints against it? Well, and I know it's based on a series of light novels, nothing goes anywhere! There's interesting characters, with motivations, and there's tensions between them, but nothing significant happens!

You see, at around episode 16-17, a major plot develops, and the whole city is thrown into turmoil! Suddenly, every character is afraid for their lives! It looks like the literally everything is at stake!... and then it gets wrapped up rather handily by a single, secondary character. I was disappointed, to say the least... and then nothing else significant happens for the rest of the series, which rubbed it in even more.

The second most heinous thing that rubbed me the wrong way, being this scenario I've cooked up in my head that can be the only explanation for what happened during the creation of the story:

"Alright everybody, this is the character spread for our show, Durarararara. We've written a cadre of characters from amazing to the supernatural, with personalities ranging from explosive; to mysterious; to sociopathic and manipulative. They all have rich back-stories and engrossing motivations, and to compliment these motivations are incredible abilities that makes each one a force to be reckoned with, and they will power the entire story the moment they burst onto the front stage, stealing the audiences attention and winning theirs hearts to the show."

"That is fantastic sir! Which one is our main focus?"

"Oh, no, these characters at not the main focus. Our MAIN focus is this punk ass high school brat that is barely interesting, with pitiful motivations, impotent at everything he attempts, and generally just whines about his sorry position in life while ransacking camera time from all the awesome, amazing characters described earlier."

"..."

"Meeting concluded. Get to work gentlemen."

and I think that sums it up quite well.

----

Also, just a little bit ago I finished watching Legends of the Dark Kings. I have to say that I enjoyed this more than I enjoy the Hokuto No Ken-universe ALOT more when it's from the perspective of anyone other than Kenshiro. We get to see the world from Raoh's take on things, and how certain parts of Kenshiro's Journey, if you'd watched the main series, came to be.

Really, the only thing that needs addressing is why I enjoyed this as much as I did, and it's because Raoh, Kenshiro's oldest brother, is actually much more interesting than him. Why? Well, Raoh has these things, called character flaws, and these are things that Kenshiro just doesn't have.

It's a breath of fresh air to see things from Raoh's perspective; because we get the privilege of seeing the awesome power of Raoh, the strongest man in the world, while watching him fight and kill and conquer, all towards a goal that we know he can't achieve. Unlike Kenshiro, Raoh is self-righteous, completely selfish, unloving, callous to others, and gets furiously angry when compared to his Jesus-like younger brother.

It's a lot more interesting, and the show in general enriched the Hokuto-universe as a whole.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8853 on: August 23, 2011, 02:10:21 pm »

You are so right Josh.  Damnz kids!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8854 on: August 23, 2011, 02:12:55 pm »

Huh, I may need to watch that second one.  It sounds like my favorite sort of shonen setup.  Thanks for the recommendation!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8855 on: August 23, 2011, 02:22:38 pm »

Bah, it has both Bear and Balmung and ... I guess Kite as hero, rather than Tsukasa.

Great visuals.  I'd watch it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8856 on: August 23, 2011, 02:29:36 pm »

The picture looks like a bunch of action figures.  :3

EDIT:
Man Tower of God is pretty awesome.  There's no hesitation now.  I like it.  On chapter 25 now.  Also I'm like 1/2 way through volume 2 of The World God Only Knows.  It's pretty funny as well.  "I KNOW THIS ENDING."

This is my God break from Fate/stay night.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 07:10:23 pm by ToonyMan »

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8857 on: August 24, 2011, 01:39:11 am »

Oh boy..
.hack//The Movie
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not sure if want.
I do not have high hopes for this one.
The reoccuring use of the "Japanese school girl screech" would kill any interest I'd have in that movie x_X

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8858 on: August 24, 2011, 02:05:04 am »

Oh boy..

.hack//The Movie

Not sure if want.

It is a series that probably benefits quite a bit from a slower pace

But no where close to as slow as the actual anime.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8859 on: August 25, 2011, 12:31:25 am »

Still on my God break.  On chapter 36 in Tower of God, which is awesome.  Also reading volume 3 of The World God Only Knows, which is fine so far.
Spoiler: beginning of volume 3 (click to show/hide)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8860 on: August 25, 2011, 05:40:11 am »

On a whim, I watched the Detective Conan vs. Lupin the 3rd movie.

That was an amazingly fun movie. Like, seriously, this could have been it's own series.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8861 on: August 25, 2011, 05:40:55 am »

That was an amazingly fun movie. Like, seriously, this could have been it's own series.
I have heard of it.

Holy crap why haven't I watched it yet?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8862 on: August 25, 2011, 10:36:55 am »

I have heard of it.

Holy crap why haven't I watched it yet?

Believe you me, it was the best 2 hours of my yesterday.

Currently, I've finished watching the first episode of Black Jack, the world's greatest surgeon.

So much old-timey style.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8863 on: August 25, 2011, 01:36:27 pm »

I read the first chapter of that.
It was too old-timey for me.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #8864 on: August 25, 2011, 07:41:43 pm »

Oh boy..

.hack//The Movie

Not sure if want.

...that's not anime. Frownyface! You can't do this to my .hack!

------------
Anyways, watched the first few of that Monte Cristo anime. Can someone tell me why the Count is an elf?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 2193