Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066491 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #750 on: September 12, 2009, 12:45:53 am »

Afro Samurai: Resurrection playing on Spike TV RIGHT NOW! GO WATCH!
Too bad for TIME ZONES.

I know, I just get a bit excited when I'm not forced to pirate something to get to watch it.

I'll be sure to give you my opinion when it's over Kinseti.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 12, 2009, 03:52:59 am »

Afro Samurai: Resurrection playing on Spike TV RIGHT NOW! GO WATCH!

Seen it. I'd like to hear what you think. I had mixed feelings. I mean...it was pretty awesome, but the original was SO awesome...

Alright, now that it's all said and done, I have to say it was disappointing. Awesome, but it didn't quite live up to it's predecessor.

Give me a second to properly articulate my feelings.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So my final thoughts, while the Series is awesome and is a must see, you can and should skip over this. Resurrection has it's entertaining parts, but it doesn't expand on the universe much at all, and it'll sour your view of the Series far too much to make it worth it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 03:58:27 am by chaoticjosh »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 12, 2009, 05:13:35 am »

Haven't really done much manga, with the exception of the Hikaru books I won at my Go club (yep, they seriously do give them out as prizes).  Any general recommendations?

And, by the way, the plotline of Haruhi has finally escaped me.  Annoying, since I pride myself on being able to follow almost any plotline.  Perhaps it's something to do with having an Unreliable Narrator and 3 main characters who lie/ redact everything/ are deliberately unhelpful.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 12, 2009, 12:09:11 pm »

Well, I watched it quite a while ago so it's not completely at the forefront of my mind, but it sounds like you had mostly the same problems with that movie that I did. Except you are much more angry about them  :) The one part I could barely get over when I watched it was:

Actually, now that I think about it, doesn't Afro fighting all those guys in the beginning DIRECTLY CONFLICT with the logic the show's presented us with? Afro has the 1# headband, and only the person with the 2# headband is allowed to fight the 1#, but I didn't see ANY of those guys with a number 2# headband... WHY the HELL even bother with the 2# if you can just attack the 1#?

I mean, it's a sequel, I can expect crappy pacing and mediocre villains, that doesn't deeply offend me. But they completely threw out the internal logic of the series (pretty much immediately) and after that it was just "fuck it, let's watch some swordfights." They were damn good swordfights, though, the action sequences were pretty great overall. And when I watched it... eh, lets say my sobriety was not absolute, so I was a little more forgiving than I might of been.

At the end of the day, I was still happy to see a sequel - albeit a poorly thought out one - and they managed to maintain the...tone, I guess, of the original series. Or something. It still felt like Afro Samurai, just an exceptionally badly scripted installment.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 12, 2009, 01:13:05 pm »

the plotline of Haruhi has finally escaped me

It is simple. Kyon is really the god and everything around him is organised to fulfill his wishes or help him come to terms with what is happening.

There is very little that doesn't make sense about it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 12, 2009, 02:22:36 pm »

It is simple. Kyon is really the god and everything around him is organised to fulfill his wishes or help him come to terms with what is happening.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

glacierdwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Are you enjoying the time of EVE?
« Reply #756 on: September 12, 2009, 05:47:10 pm »

I happened to watch Time of Eve on a local VoD site. I've watched only the first episode, but it really attracted me. Unlike serialized anime meant to be aired on terrestrial TV, Time of Eve is produced for online distribution (plus DVD releases some time later). That may play a role in giving ToE a different atmosphere, like timings and presentations, which is refreshing to my eyes.

I didn't know if it is available for international release, but found out Crunchyroll is releasing episodes online (The final episode will come out this month). So as a fan I'd like share the title with people here. Hope you enjoy!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Are you enjoying the time of EVE?
« Reply #757 on: September 12, 2009, 06:45:15 pm »

Time of Eve
Hey, It's actually quite interesting!
(reminds me of this short OVA I've seen some years back, I can't remember the title, but the subject and presentation are too familiar for it to be just a coincidence - even the cafe's layout is the same. Now what was the title..?)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 13, 2009, 02:07:56 pm »

I like good Anime.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 13, 2009, 02:14:03 pm »

I like good Anime.

I think everyone does.

I still need to finish Gurren Lagann  ;D
After that there is an insane lineup.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: September 13, 2009, 02:15:32 pm »

I like good Anime.

I think everyone does.

There are a lot of people who like Anime just because it is Anime.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: September 13, 2009, 02:19:37 pm »

I like good Anime.

I think everyone does.

There are a lot of people who like Anime just because it is Anime.

Those are called "bandwagoners".
They are the cousins of the "YoYo Ganstas", which is a sub-breed of bandwagoning.

I do not give them any thought, because they obviously have none of their own.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 13, 2009, 02:21:25 pm »

I know a few of those.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 13, 2009, 02:22:59 pm »

Well, if you say something's "Good", that probably means you like it, and vice versa.  Unless you're making some kind of strange So Bad it's Good comment.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 14, 2009, 09:47:09 am »

Not really related, but:

HOLY SHIT, the Nasu universe (Tsukihime, Fate) has Cthulthu!

and most of the Elder Gods.

And necronomicon. THE necronomicon!

Quote from: Anon
It's entirely possible that Abdul Alhazred actually exists in the Nasuverse, since Cthulhu does and the R'lyeh Text works.

See: 4th Caster.

Holy shit. Really, I am blown by this enlightenment.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 2193