Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066332 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #735 on: August 22, 2009, 05:02:30 pm »

News: Afro Samurai season 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLy5WXBIvqw

I'm VERY VERY VERY iffy about this. The first season ended SO PERFECTLY that I honestly couldn't ask for more, and yet they're giving it, and I don't want the great feeling of Afro Samurai to be tainted by a subpar second season.

On the other hand, it looks REALLY FRICKIN' AWESOME!

One thing I'm the most hesitant about:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's all I'm really going to say about it, until I eventually see it.

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 22, 2009, 06:23:27 pm »

Hm, I might have to watch the series since it seemed alright, but man that was crazy hair.  But to be truthful, there is another reason I'm posting here.  Quite frankly, I don't know if I would suggest anyone watch this show or not considering how dumb it gets as it goes, but I'll explain why.

This show is called School Days (to all who want to watch it, as a warning, it gets really close to showing nudity and I haven't even finished it yet so there might be some but whatever).  What I am meaning is that when I found out about it on tvtropes and read that it warns about it not being for the idiocy-intolerant, I thought it was a joke.  I thought I could handle it but clearly not.

This could quite possibly spoil the story so read at your own will:

If you don't believe me when I say that it is really dumb, let me explain how i Raeged when watching.  I was watching it at episode ten when out of no where, I just start laughing with tears coming out of my eyes from how dumb the characters were acting while I started to punch myself since my mind couldn't take it.  If you watch it, I give you this warning, it gets really awful with how the characters act.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 22, 2009, 07:04:42 pm »

I really don't like watching anime, for the most part. I prefer to read the comics version and "animate" with my own imagination (basically, DF it). It really makes the scenes a lot cooler imo.

Anime just has a really cheap feel when there's no shading, minimal character movement, strange colors, or bad voiceovers. Not to mention the artstyle generally degrades when it's adapted for animation.

That doesn't mean all anime are of bad quality though.

I really like Afro Ninja, it was one of the few mangas that had the "awesome scene" feel that I usually get from mangas. Story and characters were "whuh?" but the art was nice enough.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 22, 2009, 11:33:50 pm »

Hm, I might have to watch the series since it seemed alright, but man that was crazy hair.  But to be truthful, there is another reason I'm posting here.  Quite frankly, I don't know if I would suggest anyone watch this show or not considering how dumb it gets as it goes, but I'll explain why.

This show is called School Days (to all who want to watch it, as a warning, it gets really close to showing nudity and I haven't even finished it yet so there might be some but whatever).  What I am meaning is that when I found out about it on tvtropes and read that it warns about it not being for the idiocy-intolerant, I thought it was a joke.  I thought I could handle it but clearly not.

This could quite possibly spoil the story so read at your own will:

If you don't believe me when I say that it is really dumb, let me explain how i Raeged when watching.  I was watching it at episode ten when out of no where, I just start laughing with tears coming out of my eyes from how dumb the characters were acting while I started to punch myself since my mind couldn't take it.  If you watch it, I give you this warning, it gets really awful with how the characters act.

Okenido liked that show.

The ending is so awesome.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 23, 2009, 03:28:45 am »

I really don't like watching anime, for the most part. I prefer to read the comics version and "animate" with my own imagination (basically, DF it). It really makes the scenes a lot cooler imo.

Anime just has a really cheap feel when there's no shading, minimal character movement, strange colors, or bad voiceovers. Not to mention the artstyle generally degrades when it's adapted for animation.

I really like Afro Ninja, it was one of the few mangas that had the "awesome scene" feel that I usually get from mangas. Story and characters were "whuh?" but the art was nice enough.

It just seems to me that you've based this opinion off particular BAD anime from the sounds of it. Can you give me an idea of the shows you've watched?

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 23, 2009, 07:58:04 am »

It just seems to me that you've based this opinion off particular BAD anime from the sounds of it. Can you give me an idea of the shows you've watched?

Well, I prefer to read before I watch, so most of them are already in manga form. So ones that I've watched would include most of the ones featured in jump (I was particularly disappointed in how One Piece transitioned to anime), the rest would be the ones you randomly see on TV from time to time.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 23, 2009, 08:01:47 am »

Well, I prefer to read before I watch, so most of them are already in manga form. So ones that I've watched would include most of the ones featured in jump (I was particularly disappointed in how One Piece transitioned to anime), the rest would be the ones you randomly see on TV from time to time.

Well, same.

Essentially, I hunt for manga, THEN anime.
However, I still searching for Hellsing...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 23, 2009, 08:20:38 am »

Jump? As in Shonen Jump?

I'm not quite sure how to put this, but this is how I understand it: Shonen Jump is where all the Manga for the younger audiences is made.

Now, this isn't a bad thing, I'm not trying to knock you for liking these things, but it should be known that those that the companies that try to make anime based off these mangas, they tend to do it a lot less seriously than the more mature ones, ESPECIALLY some of the American companies *cough4kidscough* who change things, usually for the worse, but not always.

I personally don't watch anime that airs on TV anymore, it's much too troublesome to have to tune in only to watch subpar programs.

Let me tell you a story. The last anime I tried watching on TV was Neon Genesis Evangelion. This was some years ago, and my younger self really appreciated the tension, action, and the faux-symbolism. However, they Network I watched it on only showed one episode every WEEK. This was bothersome, but I endured it because I had not yet learned the ways of not putting up with Network-bullshit, so I watched, and got a little bit more of the story every week. The THIRD TO LAST EPISODE, after my WEEKS of waiting, SOMETHING happened, and I'm not sure what, but instead of getting my week's episode like I've been waiting for, the show was replaced by this ABSOLUTELY FUCKING RETARDED AND DISGUSTING Yogi Bear Spoof. I watched this spoof, thinking this was some kind of SICK AND PERVERTED JOKE and that it would cut out any second now, and a guy would be saying "gotcha!" and my weekly dose of Evangelion would be delivered to me. That didn't happen though, instead, I finished watching the spoof, and the next show in the roster aired. It completely forgot about the episode I'd have been waiting so long to see, and I had to wait another week for NO FUCKING REASON! I waited that week, and lo-and-behold, there was my Evangelion, but it wasn't the missing episode, NO, it was the NEXT EPISODE! Now, despite all my patience, I would never know what the hell happened in that episode, and now the rest of the series didn't make sense (not that it would have anyway).

That was the last anime I ever tried watching on TV. Others, like Big-O and Inuyasha, were even worse, sometimes out-and-out refusing to follow the story chronologically.

But I ramble, where do you read your manga?

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 23, 2009, 09:32:21 am »

Jump? As in Shonen Jump?

I'm not quite sure how to put this, but this is how I understand it: Shonen Jump is where all the Manga for the younger audiences is made.

Now, this isn't a bad thing, I'm not trying to knock you for liking these things, but it should be known that those that the companies that try to make anime based off these mangas, they tend to do it a lot less seriously than the more mature ones, ESPECIALLY some of the American companies *cough4kidscough* who change things, usually for the worse, but not always.

I personally don't watch anime that airs on TV anymore, it's much too troublesome to have to tune in only to watch subpar programs.

Let me tell you a story. The last anime I tried watching on TV was Neon Genesis Evangelion. This was some years ago, and my younger self really appreciated the tension, action, and the faux-symbolism. However, they Network I watched it on only showed one episode every WEEK. This was bothersome, but I endured it because I had not yet learned the ways of not putting up with Network-bullshit, so I watched, and got a little bit more of the story every week. The THIRD TO LAST EPISODE, after my WEEKS of waiting, SOMETHING happened, and I'm not sure what, but instead of getting my week's episode like I've been waiting for, the show was replaced by this ABSOLUTELY FUCKING RETARDED AND DISGUSTING Yogi Bear Spoof. I watched this spoof, thinking this was some kind of SICK AND PERVERTED JOKE and that it would cut out any second now, and a guy would be saying "gotcha!" and my weekly dose of Evangelion would be delivered to me. That didn't happen though, instead, I finished watching the spoof, and the next show in the roster aired. It completely forgot about the episode I'd have been waiting so long to see, and I had to wait another week for NO FUCKING REASON! I waited that week, and lo-and-behold, there was my Evangelion, but it wasn't the missing episode, NO, it was the NEXT EPISODE! Now, despite all my patience, I would never know what the hell happened in that episode, and now the rest of the series didn't make sense (not that it would have anyway).

That was the last anime I ever tried watching on TV. Others, like Big-O and Inuyasha, were even worse, sometimes out-and-out refusing to follow the story chronologically.

I'm sixteen. Fit the audience quite well, don't I?

I steer clear of the american adaptions, because the voice adaptions are horrible when you actually understand what is being said (Same principal works with foreign songs too).

I didn't like Evangelion. It was too psychological at some points. The battle scenes were a bit boring, too (Why do giant robots use tiny knives?). I hated the characters, too. Not because they were badly designed or anything, but their personalities are just "blagh".

I also didn't like how you couldn't understand anything of what was going on without consulting a wiki or something.

The theme song was the ultimate shizz though.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 23, 2009, 09:35:55 am »

I sometimes buy them myself (The manga industry here is good, and there are MANY IRL weaboos out here, so I'm not alone)

But... /onemanga/ is a good site. Or /mangafox/. note that they are...borderline legal.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 23, 2009, 09:38:52 am »

I sometimes buy them myself (The manga industry here is good, and there are MANY IRL weaboos out here, so I'm not alone)

But... /onemanga/ is a good site. Or /mangafox/. note that they are...borderline legal.

baka-updates is usually more up-to-date than OM. Going to the individual scanlators' sites are usually good too.

but OM is definitely useful for starting on a series.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: September 12, 2009, 12:08:37 am »

Afro Samurai: Resurrection playing on Spike TV RIGHT NOW! GO WATCH!

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: September 12, 2009, 12:10:29 am »

Too bad for TIME ZONES.

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: September 12, 2009, 12:17:53 am »

Did I hear Afro Samurai? Cause that's what I heard.

It's awesome.

<-----period.
Kholhaus has been inspired recently.
Kholhaus has lost a favorite to tragedy recently.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 12, 2009, 12:30:07 am »

Seen it. I'd like to hear what you think. I had mixed feelings. I mean...it was pretty awesome, but the original was SO awesome...
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 2193