Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064734 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #7140 on: April 06, 2011, 08:41:49 pm »

You would be surprised how many people genuinly like Gorn.

I mean... the Saw series is popular.

I just can't stand it because I feel too much sympathy for the characters. Heck the series where an angel constantly blows up the head of her boyfriend is unwatchable to me. I honestly cannot stand it because it totally freeks me out and I just go "My god... is this really supposed to be funny?"

Comedy cannot survive beside sympathy.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7141 on: April 06, 2011, 09:16:26 pm »

I think my favorite thing about series is just the characters and plot.  I know that sounds pretty obvious, but there are so many uninteresting combinations of both.  Which isn't very fun.  As for the gorn, well I don't like it either.  Characters have to die sometimes and if it's really brutal the only way to really avoid showing it is just to...not show it I guess?  Or change the death itself.  I admit I get kinda squeamish just watching episodes of House.

Anyway, I'm pretty far through episode 5 of the Umineko VN and I watched episode 5 and 6 of the Gosick anime.  I like it mostly because
1. it's pretty interesting to me and
2. Bones is the animation studio :P

And lastly this is pretty outdated news, but since I forgot to mention I finished season 2 of Haruhi Suzumiya.  The only main animated thing left is the movie that does The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7142 on: April 06, 2011, 10:18:57 pm »

Tossed off Madoka as it was described as typical mahou shoujo, but after getting numerous positive feedbacks about it from friends decided to give it a chance.
Now I have to admit that its definitely best thing done in last couple of years. Watching 6th-10th eps was so friggin satisfactory.
Quite sad that final eps were delayed for several weeks due to disaster in Japan.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7143 on: April 06, 2011, 10:45:56 pm »

Not strictly anime but: OH GOD WHAT THE FUCK JAPAN!?!?!

That is it. I am un-friending Japan and blocking its IM's. That is... just wrong.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7144 on: April 07, 2011, 03:09:30 pm »

Tossed off Madoka as it was described as typical mahou shoujo, but after getting numerous positive feedbacks about it from friends decided to give it a chance.
Now I have to admit that its definitely best thing done in last couple of years. Watching 6th-10th eps was so friggin satisfactory.
Quite sad that final eps were delayed for several weeks due to disaster in Japan.
When does Madoka start getting really interesting?  Episode 2/3?

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #7145 on: April 07, 2011, 05:57:04 pm »

Not strictly anime but: OH GOD WHAT THE FUCK JAPAN!?!?!

WAKARIMASEN! WAKARIMASEN!!! *cries* NIHON WA NANI O SHIMASKA!?

Is this from a program similar to Monty Python?

Also, I really like one of the comments I saw: "We are real sorry for the radiation japan, we never meant for this to happen."

Let's see here, I'm bad at describing what I like. I've got no problem with subtitles.

Generally, I'm drawn to a couple of different things.

• Hardish on a realism scale (Burn Notice like Awesome but Practical stuff)
  • Combating the supernatural with mundane means
  • Little uncertainty with events, but possible uncertainty with morality (the "what" has to be clear, or it drives me insane, but the specific mechanics or motivations can be blurry)
  • White vs. Grey morality
  • War is hell, but glorious and sometimes necessary
At the same time, I wouldn't mind branching out of my normal type of readings (I'm starting a self-improvement attempt in the near future), what are the mainish genres prevalent in Anime? I read medium sci-fi and a very few techno-thrillers (Red Storm Rising kinda spoiled me) as well as most types of fantasy. Really, it's my goal to be able to write a story that could fit into any category, or deconstruct or slightly avert it.

Death Note.
Code Geass
I think both of these would suit you well. They definitely have a strong moral struggle present, not in that characters always struggle with their morality, but there are groups who believe their own morality is "white" and often come at odds due to their conflicting views.
Death Note is 300% psychology though. It gets crazy how many mind games go on. If that sounds interesting, go for it.
Code Geass has a lot fewer mind games doing on compared to Death Note, but the story is, at its core, one of a moral and personal struggle against odds. Where the main character's (Lelouch) morality lies is up to a lot of personal opinion. The series does a lot to break down any sort of morality and make everything different shades of gray, but different enough to be completely different colors (like blue to red). There's mecha and a degree of magic (sort-of) that goes on, but the trade-off between action and drama is well developed.

Vinland Saga sounds perfect for you, but I'm not sure there's an anime of it, only a manga (which I highly recommend for EVERYONE). The art style is super-realistic compared to other animes and has a strong historical sense (it fudges it here and there to tell the story, but its still satisfying). There's a lot of 'war is hell, but glorious' considering its about Vikings. There's nothing supernatural here though, other than some of the main character's experiences (which are more like visions).

The Miyazaki film "Princess Mononoke" sounds absolutely perfect for you, though, and hits everything on your list. This is one of my favorite movies, and I'm surprised it wasn't already mentioned. I highly suggest you watch this movie to get into anime.

Let us know your experiences as you test the waters so we can get a better approximation of what you'd like.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7146 on: April 07, 2011, 06:04:09 pm »

I'll highly second Princess Mononoke.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7147 on: April 07, 2011, 06:22:14 pm »

I like it, and it is quite disturbing too.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7148 on: April 07, 2011, 11:37:45 pm »

I like it as well. Thinking back this may have well been my first anime back when I was a kid and everything pretty much flew over my head. Then watch it in the past year or two and I'm like 'oh I recognize this...'.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7149 on: April 07, 2011, 11:49:06 pm »

I like it as well. Thinking back this may have well been my first anime back when I was a kid and everything pretty much flew over my head. Then watch it in the past year or two and I'm like 'oh I recognize this...'.

I watched it before I even recognised what anime really was. Sure I watched things like Sailormoon and Dragon Ball (the one with the awsome intro) but I didn't think of it any differently then other shows.

The first time I watched Princess Mononoke I THINK it was on at midnight on Teletoon back when they shown adult material (I was WAAAY too young for that). This included Ninja Scroll and these weird ones. Sadly I can't say Mononoke was my favorite. It was this one with this holographic woman who was a ploy.

I don't know all the animes that channel shown late at night disturbed me. Though Ninja Scroll it was obvious why I was disturbed (It has a rather disturbing rape scene... and odd too... really REALLY odd. More odd then disturbing)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:33:34 am by Neonivek »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7150 on: April 08, 2011, 02:15:41 am »

Ok so reading Shuffle! VN. seem interesting and can't wait for Essence+ patch to come out whenever. Lol while doing Sia path and got up to Kareha in the cafe and the first word of the protagonist is "Shit!" XD

Want Essence+ badly so i can see how dating Kareha can be.
JAP version dl-ing NOW

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7151 on: April 08, 2011, 02:32:24 am »

When does Madoka start getting really interesting?  Episode 2/3?
Well, it stops being too boring at eps 3/4, but its eps 7,8,9,10 which I've truly enjoyed. Basically, it slowly gets better with each ep.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #7152 on: April 08, 2011, 04:09:25 am »

Started watching Cowboy Bebop on a whim and DAMN!

Wasn't expecting a space bounty hunter type story O_O I do like this anime!
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #7153 on: April 08, 2011, 07:40:19 am »

Started watching Cowboy Bebop on a whim and DAMN!

Wasn't expecting a space bounty hunter type story O_O I do like this anime!

I approve of your excellent whims.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7154 on: April 08, 2011, 10:08:21 am »

[...] but I didn't think of it any differently then other shows. [...]

this is an attitude I approve of.
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 2193