Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066065 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #705 on: August 11, 2009, 04:31:15 pm »

I've only watched part of one series of one show so far (watched ep 13 now, not sure how many more are in English) so I think I'm safe from that charge.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: August 11, 2009, 07:57:47 pm »

Well, I always liked things by Gainax (except for Gunbuster 2, Jesus Christ that was terrible) so I'm going for His and Her Circumstance. I hope I'll like it.
Gunbuster 2 does not exist. That is all.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: August 11, 2009, 08:01:50 pm »

Couple of questions:

1. Am I automatically a heretic for watching a dubbed version?

2. How are all the rest of you guys watching these?  I mean, like, where?  I'm not sure if I can face buying box sets and stuff.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: August 11, 2009, 08:09:52 pm »

1) Yes.

2) I believe Cartoon Network has some, although I don't get CN so...yeah. Depending on your video store situation you might be able to rent seasons of the more mainstream anime. And I believe I'm not allowed to link to my anime-acquiring method on this board but suffice to say the general channels for getting free shit online apply to anime as well.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: August 11, 2009, 08:12:07 pm »

1) Yes.

2) I believe Cartoon Network has some, although I don't get CN so...yeah. Depending on your video store situation you might be able to rent seasons of the more mainstream anime. And I believe I'm not allowed to link to my anime-acquiring method on this board but suffice to say the general channels for getting free shit online apply to anime as well.
1. Eh, now that I've watched the entire first season (it has 14 episodes, right?) it seems a bit pointless to switch over to subs now.  Nevermind.  I guess I'll try and go with subs in future.
2. Er, yes.  That is kindof what I expected.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: August 11, 2009, 08:16:42 pm »

I was joking about 1 by the way :P Watch it however you like. I've just seen more terrible dubs than good ones, so I'm in the sub camp.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: August 11, 2009, 08:21:35 pm »

I was joking about 1 by the way :P Watch it however you like. I've just seen more terrible dubs than good ones, so I'm in the sub camp.
Haruhi does have an official dub, it's not a fandub (which, I suppose, would put you straight to heracy) and the dub seems to work fairly well.  I spent the first five episodes trying to work out if the starting song was in English.  And the fake starting credits may have also thrown me off a bit.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: August 12, 2009, 03:18:39 am »

If you haven't watched the movie style anime you should.

Ponyo

Kiki's Delivery service

Spirited away

Princess Mononoke

and im sure there are more, if you know more tell me.

Also I can't figure out this ones name, its something along the lines of "********'s moving fortress"
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:27:03 am by Micro102 »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: August 12, 2009, 05:02:17 am »

Actually, I've just realised, I have watched part of Spirited Away ages ago.  Guess I'll watch it now.  Plus the theme song won't get stuck in my head in the same way that watching 14 episodes in 4 days sticks a tune in your head.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: August 12, 2009, 05:14:46 am »

Also I can't figure out this ones name, its something along the lines of "********'s moving fortress"

Howl's Moving Castle

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: August 12, 2009, 06:09:41 am »

But I kid, do you know anything with great music, like, REALLY AWESOME music? Like, a musical, with singing and dancing, except it's anime, and awesome.

Protip: Toho is not an anime.

Protip: It's called Touhou, and it isn't the greatest gift to music no matter how good you think U.N. Owen is.
Protip: HERESY!
Protip: Umineko's soundtrack is better.
Protip: Like Tsukihime, Umineko has no anime.
Protip: Both Umineko, and Touhou are cheap, and have decently length for their demos. If you pirated them, you should be ashamed of yourself.
* IndonesiaWarMinister ashamed of himself.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: August 12, 2009, 11:27:13 am »

If you haven't watched the movie style anime you should.

Ponyo

Kiki's Delivery service

Spirited away

Princess Mononoke

and im sure there are more, if you know more tell me.

Nausica of the Valley of the Wind and Laputa: Castle in the Sky are also by the Spirited Away guy. Oh, and My Neighbor Totoro! It has the catbus. CAT. BUS.

Are we just talking about that guy, or anime movies in general?

Because you certainly must include Akira. It's totally classic. And Perfect Blue. And Vampire Hunter D : Bloodlust. Those three are all a little...intense, but really entertaining in their own ways.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: August 12, 2009, 05:02:35 pm »

They are all by the same guy?

I've seen some of those but i don't think ive seen akira, thx.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: August 12, 2009, 07:40:25 pm »

Ok, I'm attempting to watch the "second series" of Haruhi, and I've already managed to confuse myself.  After two episodes.  Wow.

As far as I can tell, the first series is being rebroadcast with new episodes mixed in.  And I've stupidly decided to watch the whole thing in Kyon order rather than Haruhi order, which means that I now have no idea what's going on (or, more accurately, when it's going on in relation to everything else).  So far 10 new episodes have been released (I think?), 8 of which are part of the infamous Endless Eight.  Which I have just started on.  Oh well.

Also, I'm not sure if the Endless Eight is happening before or after the last episode of series one.  I'm gonna guess before, but I'm not really sure.

Is it just this series, or will I have to discard my notions of linear storylines to watch anime?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: August 12, 2009, 07:59:05 pm »

It's just this series, you should've started with something simpler than this to start out with, to be honest.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 2193