Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3079809 times)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #5445 on: December 08, 2010, 06:03:46 pm »

Wow. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann just keeps getting better! I thought 15 would be the peak until the end, but 21 just blew it out of the water! How much more awesome can this series get?!

Much more awesome, actually.
♥ Viral

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5446 on: December 08, 2010, 06:23:57 pm »

My favorite episode from after the timeskip is 25, it gets me emotional every time I watch it.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5447 on: December 08, 2010, 06:37:03 pm »

Should I check out Summer Wars?  I checked out the trailer and I read some reviews and it's suppose to be really good.

It reminds me of that Digimon film Our War Game with the whole computer thing.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5448 on: December 08, 2010, 09:35:54 pm »

Why hello there, anime thread.

I am here to provide a... recommendation? commentary? on a specific series.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (or LOGH from now on)

LOGH is a 4 season long (plus spinoffs/miniseries) 'space opera'. The story is one of galaxy-wide political manoeuvres and multi-episode strategic feints. With a premise like this you might think it too complex or detailed to easily grasp, and certainly not character-driven.
However, (almost) every character introduced has some role in the story, and in shaping the conclusion, whether it be through their ambitions or their conniving. Characters are regularly reintroduced, so as to remind you of who they are, and each episode starts with a brief recap of the story so far.
The story provides a fairly accurate representation of space/future combat, albeit with a few scientific slights of hand (FTL travel) for the sake of creating a reasonable pace. (Chances are you don't really care about this too much, but it's worth mentioning). The starmap is also pretty well correlated to actual starmaps, which is neat.

The main drive of the story is a conflict between a monarchy and a break-away republic, one struggling to reclaim its rebellious citizens and the other fighting for independence. Over the series, as a direct result of actions seen in the series, the nature of the conflict and the terms of war change, with varying effects on the characters and their motivations. Two rising stars, one on either side, become figureheads for their respective nations and grow, both in terms of strategy and in personal terms. They are supported by a diverse crew, each with a history (that is often expounded upon) that leans them towards their unique worldviews and strategies. In the backdrop, political conflicts bubble and boil,leading to moral ambiguities and difficult choices.

As well, the nations are not the stars, but rather the people. I.E.: LOGH is not a show about space conflict and politics, it is a show about people embroiled in these things and how it changes them, and their effects on the rest of the world.

By the end of the series, you will have learned the history and key players in the galactic conflict, and watched dozens of large scale space battles, fought for planets, empires, freedom, and power. You will have seen regimes change, seen assassinations, and seen one man drink tea dozens of times.

Although I don't watch too much anime, I'd recommend it for fans of...

Code Geass: Multiple episode tricks and tactics!
Battlestar Galactica: Space battles! Politics and war mixed together into a delicious treat. It's also a show about people - not about the ship or the war. 
There are probably a lot more, but I'm... uncultured.

Things it gets wrong:
The animation style dates the show heavily.
Sometimes too many characters.
A little bit on the slow side.
Not very progressive in its representation of women.

Anyways that's enough from me. Back to your regularly scheduled programming!
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5449 on: December 08, 2010, 10:25:35 pm »

Thanks for the load down Logic, in other news...

My current agenda is as followed:

Currently watching/reading
One Piece - episode 315 about, CP9 is over.  Let's see how fun the next saga will be!
Fairy Tail - episode 20, watching this show a lot slower because I can go at my own pace.  Episode 19 was funnier than it should have been.  Also following along with the manga (I think the Fairy Tail anime is just starting to hit filler at around episode 55)
Mirai Nikki [Future Diary] - on Volume 8 or 9, only 5 people left in this "survivor game"  Yuki is having big changes to say the least.  Feels like I'm flying through the story now.
Neon Genesis Evangelin - episode 5 or 6, wow what is this (gotta love that opening beat though)
Bleach - don't really care for this, but it's a good enjoyment for 30 minutes every Saturday.  The only anime I've stuck to dub the whole time because I don't really care (unlike One Piece).  Currently in the second filler arc which makes me care less.

On hold until further notice
Cowboy Bebop - I've watched the movie and I've already been spoiled to death, don't really know if I want to finish it
Durarara!! - on episode 18, kinda forget I was watching this and never got around to finishing yet
Code Geass - only have like 3 episodes left of R2, but I'm just not in the mood.  Maybe if I liked the show more, heh.
Darker than Black - finished the first season, but the mixed reaction to the second season is putting me off

I should check out that Legend of the Galactic Heroes thing, sounds cool.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #5450 on: December 09, 2010, 12:27:00 am »

Although I don't watch too much anime, I'd recommend it for fans of...

Code Geass: Multiple episode tricks and tactics!
Battlestar Galactica: Space battles! Politics and war mixed together into a delicious treat. It's also a show about people - not about the ship or the war. 
There are probably a lot more, but I'm... uncultured.

Not a fan of either of those! Still sounds interesting and the manga is of reasonable length so I'm gonna check it out.

Cowboy Bebop - I've watched the movie and I've already been spoiled to death, don't really know if I want to finish it

Oh man, you really should. Don't let your impression of the shitty movie spoil the series for you.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5451 on: December 09, 2010, 12:28:12 am »

Shitty movie what?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5452 on: December 09, 2010, 12:38:01 am »

I mean the TV series spoilers.

Damn son, reading through Diary40 of Mirai Nikki and crazy shit is happening.  I think I'm on Volume 9 now.  People I never expected to be important are becoming vital roles and the main characters are getting less and less screen time.  Gotta love the McDonald's reference though.

I wonder what will happen next?

Diary42.  Arrrrrrghhhhh!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 01:27:53 am by ToonyMan »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5453 on: December 09, 2010, 08:32:14 am »

As long as an anime/mange has just enough filler to let you get to know the characters better, it's ok.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5454 on: December 09, 2010, 10:00:54 am »

That's what I hate about 12-episode series. There's just not enough room.

Of course, I haven't found a series of books yet that I didn't find at least a little short. I'm wierd that way.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5455 on: December 09, 2010, 10:02:28 am »

A series of books can't be long enough. You'll always want more.
*Hugs*

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5456 on: December 09, 2010, 02:56:35 pm »

As long as an anime/mange has just enough filler to let you get to know the characters better, it's ok.

Sometimes Filler works

In Fullmoon Wo Sagashite they put in filler and it can get a bit boring, but the distance between the start and the end of the series allows it to have a much better imapct.

In Naruto the filler WOULD work, some of the best episodes are filler... Their problem is that they have WAAAAAAAAAAY too much of it and most of it is throw away. (I liked Hinata's Filler arc, though it was too long)

Also don't watch Fullmoon unless you like shows staring a girl who doesn't make jokes and who doesn't show cleavage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5457 on: December 09, 2010, 02:59:20 pm »

Also don't watch Fullmoon unless you like shows staring a girl who doesn't make jokes and who doesn't show cleavage.

What, NO FANSERVICE and a serious female character?

Goddammit, I'm going to have to start an angry letter-writing campaign.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5458 on: December 09, 2010, 03:00:28 pm »

I shall prepare some protest signs!!
*Hugs*

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #5459 on: December 09, 2010, 03:01:24 pm »

Watched Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha!

So Kawaii! I can see why Fate Testarossa has so many dedicated followers in Japan.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 2193