Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3078134 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #4800 on: October 18, 2010, 05:27:53 pm »

Oh god Evengelion was weird.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: October 18, 2010, 05:31:56 pm »

Oh god Evengelion was weird.

I actually own the entire boxed set.  Loved the bejeezus out of that show >_>  Shouldn't have started watching it in middle school, though.  That was a bad idea.

Also, I don't know if Saikano counts as mech, but if it does then it's tied with Evangelion for first place.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: October 18, 2010, 05:42:14 pm »

I just finished watching Nadesico a couple days ago. Good stuff. The dubbing is pretty much awesome, if you can get into the cheesy, over the top swing of things.

I watched most of the original Evangelion. I think I gave up around the time the folding chair made its appearance. It definitely had its moments, though. That one bit where the Eva started eating the angel freaked me right the heck out.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: October 18, 2010, 06:32:14 pm »

Just discovered a promotional 20-min Chrono Trigger OVA this afternoon. Though it wasn't what I expected, it was neat, and they even got Akira Toriyama and his monsters in on it. There were a lot of referential gags that made me grin too... poor Gato/Gonzales.

I can't say I've ever watched a Giant Robot show that I particularly enjoyed, even as far back as the original Power Rangers (live-action or no, it still counts <.<). I caught a bit of Big O, but it felt like little more than Batman with robots. I only watched the first episode of Gurren Lagann: being entirely ridiculous and sci-fi should by all accounts have gotten me hooked, but the whole ditzy-fanservice-girl-with-a-gun thing turned me off. I've seen a few episodes of Evangelion and Escaflowne too, but they didn't really draw me in either, which might have been because I wasn't the right age for either when I first saw them. I've never even looked into the Gundam series, so no idea there.

I'm not trying to rip into these shows, since a lot of people swear by them as classics. Even so, I've yet to be inspired to watch giant robots punch/shoot/explode one another, while the physically and emotionally squishy meatbags get all melodramatic within them. I may just be stubborn about it now, and probably ought to give some of them a shot. I'm willing to take suggestions or listen to a good argument.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: October 19, 2010, 01:27:12 am »

Now I'm curious, what do you consider the best mech show you've ever seen?

And I'll have to look for that other show, its summary on TVtropes looks unintentionally hilarious.

Evangelion, of course >_>

Meh.  Gundam isn't my cup of tea, Zone of the Enders was kind of terrible, RahXephon didn't hold my attention, and Full Metal Panic was just banal.  Eureka Seven and TTGL... similarly, couldn't hold my attention.  Both TTGL and RahXephon looked like they were doing everything right, and the plot was good, but I just couldn't force myself to keep watching.

Nadesico was pretty good, though.

What? What? What? What? What? Best mech show is Evengalion? Dude....

Gurren Laggan

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: October 19, 2010, 01:40:01 am »

In terms of just being a mecha show, Evangelion is not the best.
In terms of shows that have mecha, it totally is, man.
TTGL, as great as it is, does not hold top position for either category.
I'd say it's probably one of the most motivational shows, though.

Meanwhile, that scene near the beginning of FMA, where Ed is reading off the elements that make up the human body.
Spoiler: I can do that too now. (click to show/hide)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: October 19, 2010, 02:58:57 am »

Dammit, trying to catch up with One Piece takes forever.  I'm not even half way there and I've sunk more than over 70 hours in this.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: October 19, 2010, 03:23:34 am »

Dammit, trying to catch up with One Piece takes forever.  I'm not even half way there and I've sunk more than over 70 hours in this.

Yeah, I remember that feeling. It's frustrating because the series is SO HUEG, but it just keeps getting better so you can't stop. You should at least watch until Enies Lobby. That arc was just crazy amazing.

A word of advice - skip all the filler, except the ones with Foxy. It'll save you a bit of time, at least.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: October 19, 2010, 03:25:26 am »

Yeah, I've seen the millennium dragon filler arc and the time travel shenanigan filler arc so far, bleh.  I'm on skypia right now though so it's all good.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: October 19, 2010, 04:16:19 am »

Goodness... Some characters sure do look better in the game then the Anime.. Also why Nuu one of the most powerful magical beings in Crono Trigger (unless that is an ordinary Nuu) running away from anyone?

Also, the Knights are people... Why are they also in the Monster Millenium Fare?

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: October 19, 2010, 08:54:09 am »

Full Metal Panic was just banal.

Agree with you there, but the spinoff Fumoffu was great.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: October 19, 2010, 09:36:40 am »

I can do that too now.
Didn't work out very well for him, you may want to refrain.

On the other hand, can't alchemists just... turn one element into another anyway?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: October 19, 2010, 09:58:59 am »

Goodness... Some characters sure do look better in the game then the Anime.. Also why Nuu one of the most powerful magical beings in Crono Trigger (unless that is an ordinary Nuu) running away from anyone?

Also, the Knights are people... Why are they also in the Monster Millenium Fare?
...Huh? Chrono Trigger anime?!
Also, Nu are ridiculously powerful, but they are also lazy cowards.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: October 19, 2010, 10:41:36 am »

What? What? What? What? What? Best mech show is Evengalion? Dude....

Gurren Laggan

Yeah, in terms of just mecha I'd probably go with... Gundam Wing?  Gundam Seed?  Not sure.  But I don't watch for mechs, and I don't watch for fanservice either.  When the only girls in the show are basically fanservice, it gets a bit annoying after a while.

Agree with you there, but the spinoff Fumoffu was great.

Yeah, I only saw one episode of Fumoffu, and it seemed quite hilarious.  Hot springs episode.

Is the rest as funny?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: October 19, 2010, 11:06:59 am »

Now it gets worse. In the scene where the rebels secure the tunnel with a big gun in the hotel, they can kill knightmare with it. Wonderful. Sounds like conventional weapons can kill knightmares. No, wait, its just attached to an old knightmare... WTF? The gun doesn't move, doesn't aim, just fires some kind of frag bullet. Why would they have attached it to a modified knightmare?

IIRC, it's an electrically operated railgun that uses the KnightMare's sakuraite reactor for power.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 2193