Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3076951 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #4470 on: September 17, 2010, 01:42:44 am »

Just started watching Spice and Wolf again. Found a dub version of it, so I'm checking out how well that version is. So far, not bad. Horo (or Holo, as they pronounce in the dub) sounds more mature than her Japanese counterpart, and Lawrence seems to remain consistent in tone (I found a dual-audio episode to use for comparison). Script translation also seems rather well done too. Now if only they get cracking on the second season.

In the meantime, I gotta catch up on that though subbed. Already 2 episodes in for the first. I forgot how interesting this show got (and how well the writing was in that sense; probably what you get from shows made from light novels), regardless a lack of bizarre and/or dark anime stuff that's in other shows. Kinda a relief in a sense. It also feels like a good show to watch for the fall and winter seasons. It just fits the theme well. Shows like Gurren Lagaan and such fit better with the spring and summer seasons.

And for what it's worth, Horo rocks.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 01:45:19 am by Itnetlolor »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: September 17, 2010, 04:01:42 am »

Just started watching Spice and Wolf again. Found a dub version of it, so I'm checking out how well that version is. So far, not bad. Horo (or Holo, as they pronounce in the dub) sounds more mature than her Japanese counterpart, and Lawrence seems to remain consistent in tone (I found a dual-audio episode to use for comparison). Script translation also seems rather well done too. Now if only they get cracking on the second season.

In the meantime, I gotta catch up on that though subbed. Already 2 episodes in for the first. I forgot how interesting this show got (and how well the writing was in that sense; probably what you get from shows made from light novels), regardless a lack of bizarre and/or dark anime stuff that's in other shows. Kinda a relief in a sense. It also feels like a good show to watch for the fall and winter seasons. It just fits the theme well. Shows like Gurren Lagaan and such fit better with the spring and summer seasons.

And for what it's worth, Horo rocks.

I consider Spice and Wolf one of the best anime shows, especially for one thing. It's a show about economics, not overblown constant battles. And it works. That's pretty hard to pull off successfully.
I have the first season on DVD as a testament to this.

And of course she rocks. She rocks hard.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: September 17, 2010, 09:51:25 am »

not overblown constant battles

It likes to tempt you with battle, but if it isn't off screen it is just a standoff. Also why he doesn't encase one of the wheet seeds in glass I'll never know.

My only major gripe with the show is its "Leave everyone behind" nature.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: September 17, 2010, 05:33:24 pm »

I loved the first season of Spice and Wolf. The banter that the have going back and forth between Lawrence and Holo is just cute, as well as being hilarious. It also manages to avoid the trap of having characters that are competent all the time. They can take care of themselves, sure, but they also screw up monumentally.

I lost interest in the second season in the middle of the fur trading storyline...one of these days I may get back to it, but something about that one just bugged me.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: September 17, 2010, 08:41:34 pm »

Anyone here seen Weisse Kreuze? I've seen Gluhen (the sequel), but not the original, and I was wondering is the plot would make more sense with the whole picture.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: September 18, 2010, 02:21:55 am »

Spice and wolf is awesome, I wish they would make season 3.

And please watch anime in subs. Once you get used to reading and watching at the same time you will want to punch all english using voice actors in the face.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: September 18, 2010, 05:54:01 am »

Agreed.

As much as you could be paranoid about missing Some action because you're too busy reading, subs are way better than dubs.

Exceptions: One Piece, DragonBall Z, Hellsing.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: September 18, 2010, 07:55:01 am »

subs are way better than dubs.

There is actually a VERY good dub to watch which actually goes to prove the "Japanese always sounds better" effect.

The English Dub of Excell Saga. Excell is spot on accurate but annoying to death!!!

As for missing something, I make sure I am always not too far from the pause button. That and I am a fast reader.

----

Here is Neonivek's game for the day!

Present the LARGEST "No DUH!" Translator's notes you can find for any anime sub

Mine: Case Closed episode 44 (Don't know the specific sub)

While most of Case Closed Translator messages go from very useful (reminding me who goes to what school) to being incredably inane (stating that sensei applies to doctors) the number one "No Duh" moment would be when it gave the definition for Iguana

yes... Apperantly people don't know what Iguana's are... It isn't even an important part of the episode. (Worse yet is the definition wasn't exactly correct)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 11:27:20 am by Neonivek »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: September 18, 2010, 11:57:41 am »

I read some horrible translations of Detective Conan manga, too bad the posts I made of them don't exist anymore because onemanga.com was put down.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: September 18, 2010, 12:00:57 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I guess not everyone would get the reference, but it isn't the translator's job to get everyone to unless it's something Japanese readers are more likely to get.

On the other hand, without this note, people would've probably complained, saying they'd got their maths wrong :P.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: September 18, 2010, 04:23:59 pm »

Jegus, I just saw a Mustang x Edward image and was petrified.

Spoiler: you want some (click to show/hide)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: September 18, 2010, 04:25:33 pm »

That reminds me of the reason why a friend of mine never reads doujin.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: September 18, 2010, 04:28:20 pm »

Link is broken, Pic is awesome.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Lawton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: September 18, 2010, 05:59:16 pm »

Finished watching FMA finally. My thoughts basically can be summed up by this
http://sodiumeyes.com/2010/09/06/spoken-for/
Also, just found out they have a bunch of decent anime I need to watch streamable off netflix. Pretty cool, especially since they are ones that are fine dubbed. I assume they are dubbed, though I suppose they might not be...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: September 18, 2010, 06:18:28 pm »

I enjoyed episode 270 of Bleach, there I said it.

Finished watching FMA finally. My thoughts basically can be summed up by this
http://sodiumeyes.com/2010/09/06/spoken-for/
Also, just found out they have a bunch of decent anime I need to watch streamable off netflix. Pretty cool, especially since they are ones that are fine dubbed. I assume they are dubbed, though I suppose they might not be...
Yeah the CG is really obvious, but it's everywhere now.  Even the new Scooby Doo series has fallen to it.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 2193