Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3068441 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #3765 on: July 26, 2010, 04:39:19 am »

Be sure to post a link to your channel somewhere around here Solifuge, I wouldn't mind watching with ya.

I prefer subs if the dubs are noticeable inferior, but I'll accept dubs if it's difficult to read and type simultaneously on the livestream.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: July 26, 2010, 07:26:52 am »

Most people like subs more than dubs from what I read on the internet.

But dubs gave Vic Mignogna!

And I'll take a potato chip, and EAT IT! which is somehow even funnier in context.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #3767 on: July 26, 2010, 07:34:03 am »

I personally like dubs more when they seem well done. I am better able to understand the tone of the voice in English than in Japanese. For example, Code Geass.
Sometimes the dub just has something that the sub doesn't, in the case of Leeron's hilarious voice and tone in Gurren Lagann's dub.
Sometimes it's just better, as is the case of Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop from what I hear online, as the creators themselves have stated that the English version is the definitive version.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: July 26, 2010, 09:03:54 am »

I usually prefer subs, but that has nothing to do with quality, but because the dub is often much different in phrasing and sometimes content than the sub. I usually have to have subtitles anyway, because I live in a house with several other people, and if I turned up the volume on my TV enough to drown out the truck-mounted jackhammers outside, it would irritate the hell out of the rest of the house.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: July 26, 2010, 09:16:08 am »

Also, what is the most hilarious anime you've watched?
Whether the hilarity comes from corniness, or it's just plain funny, I need something funny right now :P
Minami-ke is funny.

Generally, I'll prefer subs for consistency. Knowing which seiyuu voice which roles is great; having a favorite seiyuu in a series can really help it. Also, most dubs are awful.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: July 26, 2010, 10:14:20 am »

I far and beyond prefer subs.

That said, Lodoss War has an amazingly ridiculous dub, which gives it a certain attractiveness in my mind.  Especially Shiris (intro episode) and King Kashue (danceoff + swording around episode).

Dammit, you're bringing back all those memories... Lodoss was my first anime.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: July 26, 2010, 10:18:04 am »

I like subs, but some shows (Baccano! is one of them) have OK dubs, so I watch them.

Ooh, Ghost in the Shell has perked my interests.

Is the manga or the anime better? I don't have speakers, so I wouldn't want to miss the action, but then again, I might be able to live without said music...
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: July 26, 2010, 10:20:25 am »

The music is by Yoko Kanno.  You cannot live without it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: July 26, 2010, 10:22:22 am »

Whether the hilarity comes from corniness, or it's just plain funny, I need something funny right now :P

Check out Grave of the Fireflies. It's the feel-good OVA of the 80's! It's filled with light cheer and heartwarming character interactions. It's a choice title, don't miss it!
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: July 26, 2010, 10:23:47 am »

DEAR GOD JOSEPHUS

Don't do it, quinnr! It's a trap!

YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: July 26, 2010, 10:24:36 am »

God DAMNIT man. Can't I entrap someone just once without you saving his soul?

DAMNATION.

Next time you won't see it coming, I promise you. >:D
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: July 26, 2010, 10:26:15 am »

Man, that was one sad movie. I felt so bad when I saw it in AMV Hell.

Ooh. AMV Hell. I remember thee and thine strangeness.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: July 26, 2010, 12:47:55 pm »

Check out Grave of the Fireflies. It's the feel-good OVA of the 80's! It's filled with light cheer and heartwarming character interactions. It's a choice title, don't miss it!

You are the most horrible person on the internet. It's official.

So much sadness!

I far and beyond prefer subs.

That said, Lodoss War has an amazingly ridiculous dub, which gives it a certain attractiveness in my mind.  Especially Shiris (intro episode) and King Kashue (danceoff + swording around episode).

Dammit, you're bringing back all those memories... Lodoss was my first anime.

I think my first anime was probably Sailor Moon, but Lodoss was my first OVA, and is an all-time favorite. Many fond memories of watching it with my extremely dorky uncle. I might stream Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, or Slayers after that though. Anyone have other classic animes they can think of for streaming?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:57:53 pm by Solifuge »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: July 26, 2010, 02:10:10 pm »

I've seen it before.
Damn that was depressing.

(So yeah, fail trap failed.)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #3779 on: July 26, 2010, 04:09:20 pm »

Is the manga or the anime better? I don't have speakers, so I wouldn't want to miss the action, but then again, I might be able to live without said music...

I've only seen the anime, but from what I can tell, the anime is just based on the manga, so they have separate plotlines. The anime is all anyone talks about, at least that I hear about anyway.

The music is by Yoko Kanno.  You cannot live without it.

Agreed. Plug in headphones or something into the speaker jack. There's no reason for there to be an awesome example of English dub when you can't damn well hear their voices.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 2193