Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065858 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #3330 on: June 20, 2010, 12:04:42 am »

The part where Riza empties all her bullets boolits into Lust was sad. Poor poor sniper lady with her peestools.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3331 on: June 20, 2010, 01:07:07 am »

The part where Riza empties all her bullets boolits into Lust was sad. Poor poor sniper lady with her peestools.
She was armed well enough for a hallway shootout.

But yeah,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 01:09:00 am by Itnetlolor »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: June 20, 2010, 01:43:40 am »

Wow the last dozens of pages have been about FMA.....Aren't any new good anime being released anymore?

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: June 20, 2010, 01:51:07 am »

Wow the last dozens of pages have been about FMA.....Aren't any new good anime being released anymore?

Yes and no.

Know what is the #1 most irritating thing about anime?
Almost all of them have some random panty shots or something along those lines.
Not all anime watchers are sexually charged sixteen-year-olds, and things like that can be pretty embarrassing if you are watching with someone else.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3334 on: June 20, 2010, 01:53:35 am »

Not all anime watchers are sexually charged sixteen-year-olds
Sure, but there are adults who still think like that called Otaku. They usually make up most of the fanbase, and without them, anime has no life force.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: June 20, 2010, 01:58:46 am »

And yet ironically it poisons the genre when you have to pander to people who have no problem having their fetishes involved in the entire genre. I can understand having some of the media involving that as there is an audience for that, but the entire genre has taken it up as an expectation. Gotta have fanservice.

I'm only slightly more irritated at some lazy animation and confusing female roles. Although the confusing female roles could be summed up with the fetish expectation thing.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: June 20, 2010, 04:22:34 am »

That was certainly my favourite scene for quite some time in the manga.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: June 20, 2010, 06:15:14 am »

FMA is consider good. Subject taste, are subjective.

Whatever your bar is for good is always a minority. Average dominates the market of any media, with subaverage being a strong minority then the above average. When your bar for good becomes the most common, it becomes the new average and is no longer above average.

I like Mobile Suit Gundum (very first one.)
Dragonball & Z -GT
Yuyu hackusho
Fruit Baskets
Slayers
Sailor Moon

And yet ironically it poisons the genre when you have to pander to people who have no problem having their fetishes involved in the entire genre. I can understand having some of the media involving that as there is an audience for that, but the entire genre has taken it up as an expectation. Gotta have fanservice.

I'm only slightly more irritated at some lazy animation and confusing female roles. Although the confusing female roles could be summed up with the fetish expectation thing.

Anime is not a genre. Its a media. Watch anime aimed at your age level, or an older or younger one instead of the ones aimed at young adults. Card Capture Sukura doesn't have any panty shots or pointless bathing.

Hi!

How is it like that at all?  What's controversial about the fact that anime as a whole sucks, with relatively few exceptions?

Well, for one thing, how do you define anime as a whole? The things that run on tv at your locale? The things you can buy in your local stores? The entire anime production in Japan?

As I already pointed out, there is no single "anime style" or "anime in general". There are many different genres and many different styles. Of course, if you want to debate on the same level as "What's controversial about the fact that novels as a whole suck, with relatively few exceptions?", I guess you are at least coherent but in my opinion oversimplifying the world.

Deathworks

-EDITED: Misquote corrected.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 06:37:43 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: June 20, 2010, 07:14:26 am »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: June 20, 2010, 07:15:46 am »

"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: June 20, 2010, 09:49:43 am »

Yeah I only like to watch the action/adventure genre anyway.

@Female stuff:
Argh, that's probably the most major thing I don't like about Anime.  I didn't like Yoko in Gurren Lagann, but the mechanic gril and Hawkeye I think are pretty well done for FMA:B.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: June 20, 2010, 10:06:16 am »

And Lust, of course, who is awesome.

Although...

Most of the stuff I watch is reasonably fanservice free (or at least doesn't have any more than the average western show).

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: June 20, 2010, 10:41:42 am »

All this fanservice talk reminds me of, I believe, episode 22 of Outlaw Star.
The hotspring planet episode.
So much pure fanservice that the dubbed episode didn't air, but it has plot important stuff.
Namely, lots and lots of magic bullets that just magically appear in the television airing.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3343 on: June 20, 2010, 11:27:33 am »

Fanservice aside, you gotta admit, Yoko in Gurren Lagaan was still rather badass in her Big Damn Heroes introduction at the beginning of the series, as well as her return after the time skip.

Giant mecha threatens underground city, Kamina being the manly man he is and Simon wanting him to get away before he gets himself killed, and just before Kamina actually does anything *BANG BANG BANG* and she's swinging down ala death from above. If anything, the weapon she used, and her MacGuyvering of it drew my attention more than her body.

Some moments, the times of awesomeness outshine any fanservice shown. I think Gurren Lagaan was a good test of that.

I don't mind fanservice, but only if it's used appropriately. If it's just plain gratuitous fanservice (like a beach or spa episode or something), then at least provide a sort of filler that catches us up on the important things, or allow us to know what's ahead so story-wise, the episode isn't a total loss. I mean, if fanservice and likewise is the ONLY thing on my mind, I'll go looking for hentai instead where fanservice IS the point.

EDIT:
In the same vein,
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 11:45:32 am by Itnetlolor »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: June 20, 2010, 11:31:41 am »

The only thing I can remember is
Spoiler: Gurren Lagann spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 2193