Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066212 times)

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #3240 on: June 08, 2010, 04:18:23 am »

I actually prefer the dubs in full metal which is pretty unusual for me. I also like dubs in cowboy beebop and samurai champloo because they do a little localizing and sound pretty good in general.
Huh, one of the first times I've heard support for localization. For the most part if makes me rather uneasy -- it's far too easy to mess it up. I'd rather not have pop culture references in my anime, really. I guess I'm one of the few people who'd prefer translator notes every other scene than some terrible pun the translator thought up that only sort of fits.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: June 08, 2010, 04:24:25 am »

The thing i hate about dubs is that people who make them think they are doing it for kids, and that's just wrong.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: June 08, 2010, 07:46:15 am »

Hi!

Of course I expected it would mostly be dark, of course. Happy people aren't interesting.
I am cheered now after watching Horrible Turn, a hilarious Dr. Horrible fan prequel, so I can get back to the darker stuff, starting with GITS.
Appreciate your help.

If you are still open for suggestions and accept darker material, there are some more classics:

Higurashi no naku koro ni (When they cry) - mystery that mixes innocent silliness with intense terror (believe me, that one can get under your skin). While it is mystery, the psychological portrayals are very interesting and the psychological developments of the characters are also very interesting. And, okay, it is my favorite anime ever for its high artistic quality, and I think you will be satisfied, too, especially when you think about the things in it. And, definitely watch the subbed version, for the dubbed seems to have ruined it pretty badly, and the atmosphere is part of the art.

Paranoia Agent (Mousou kanrijin, I believe) - now, that is a real psychological anime and it is fairly light-hearted, compared to most other psychological ones.

Deathworks

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: June 08, 2010, 08:15:07 am »

If you want something dark, just watch Darker Than Black.
Even has it in the name.

It can get rather depressing at times though.

Lawton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: June 08, 2010, 01:54:32 pm »

This is going to take a while. Thats like 50 hours of media or more !. At the moment, I think i will try FLCL, tvtropes says that "its the lemon to NGE's tequila". (It was the project the same company did afterward.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: June 08, 2010, 02:45:34 pm »

Hi!

Ah, TV Tropes :) :)

Their page on Higurashi no naku koro ni also refers to Evangelion in its first sentence:
Ahh Higurashi...how you rival Evangelion  in terms of insanity, mind rapes, and "wet the bed" creepiness...

Three things I wanted to mention about Higurashi no naku koro ni:
1. After lots of experiments with inadequate tools, I was able to confirm that the word in the beginning is indeed "nigerarenai" spoken backwards (which means "(I/you/he/she/it/we/you/they) can't escape")
2. Despite being classified as high octane nightmare fuel by TV tropes, the orginal "games" the anime are based on are actual NOT adult (at least in Japan). (Yes, I know I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but I don't think everyone reads the entire thread)
3. If you are interested in the psycho aspects, the "games" are also worth a consideration: The anime is extremely true to them, but the "games" have much more detail information and some little side stories that aren't in the anime (probably time constraint). For instance, there is one scene where A is chasing B through some woods with the intent to kill. B was completely surprised and only tries to flee. In the game, you get a very detailed narration of A's thought as he enjoys the thrill of the hunt, information that is not presented in the anime.

(And yes, I am really a big, big fan of Higurashi no naku koro ni).

Note: While they are technically games, they belong to the classic version of sound novels which has no multiple choice and thus no real interactivity. You really read them like a novel (with some footnote/appendixes available, though).

Deathworks

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: June 08, 2010, 02:55:30 pm »

This is going to take a while. Thats like 50 hours of media or more !. At the moment, I think i will try FLCL, tvtropes says that "its the lemon to NGE's tequila". (It was the project the same company did afterward.
Oh, the insanity... the Robot TV... the, the Eyebrows!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3247 on: June 08, 2010, 03:26:06 pm »

If you want something surprisingly dark, try Here and There, Then and Now.

I didn't expect it to go as bad as it does.

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: June 08, 2010, 04:00:27 pm »

Bokurano is a great depressing series -- it's also a good deal faster paced than say, Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku.

I'm watching Katanagatari right now; it's interesting. Lots of dialogue, but it's well-animated.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: June 08, 2010, 04:49:19 pm »

Quote from: DeathWorks
2. Despite being classified as high octane nightmare fuel by TV tropes, the orginal "games" the anime are based on are actual NOT adult (at least in Japan). (Yes, I know I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but I don't think everyone reads the entire thread)
Eh... highly debatable.  They're still recommended 17+, just they don't enforce ratings other than on 18+ or H games in Japan.  From what I've played (only Onikakushi, kinda limited by language :P) it's still a total mindfuck (although a much less violent mindfuck).

Also, after reading a spoiler for Umineko 6, I feel compelled to look back over the last 5 episodes to check something.  Damnit.  Ironically ties in with the running theme of "There are some things you shouldn't know" :P.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: June 09, 2010, 12:31:39 am »

Hi!

Quote from: DeathWorks
Eh... highly debatable.  They're still recommended 17+, just they don't enforce ratings other than on 18+ or H games in Japan.  From what I've played (only Onikakushi, kinda limited by language :P) it's still a total mindfuck (although a much less violent mindfuck).

Also, after reading a spoiler for Umineko 6, I feel compelled to look back over the last 5 episodes to check something.  Damnit.  Ironically ties in with the running theme of "There are some things you shouldn't know" :P.

Where do you get that 17+ recommendation? I see nothing of the sort on the official homepage of 7th expansion and there is not even a warning about the content, which is often the case with horror/psycho games, even those not considered adult. There is no such comment in the readme file.

On the other hand, while I purchased my version via DLSite.com because I like their procedure and their general conditions best, I know that it is also sold at Vector. Now, DLSite.com does place it in their free-for-all-ages section, but their assessment is a bit questionable as they also place manga usually considered adult manga by Japanese in their free-for-all-ages section at times (^_^;; Vector, however, is a freeware/shareware/commercial soft download site/shop that does not have ANY adult content to begin with (they do have a sister site by a completely different name and address for that purpose). All sections in their games section are further divided into an all ages section and a section marked as "items that contain things that are not appropriate for elementary or middle school pupils". Given that middle school goes approximately to age 15, I think, you could call that section then the 16+ section of Vector. Higurashi is NOT placed in that 16+ section but is listed in the general section (which is probably free for all ages).

However, I do agree that you are probably not well-advised to show it to small children :) :)
But from the circumstantial evidence I have, it is probably only considered PG12+ in Japan (with a lot of PG, though). And it is definitely not designed exclusively for adults as the high octane nightmare fuel definition implies.

Deathworks

P.S.: At the moment, Higurashi is at the bottom in popularity at Vector (no surprise, really, as basically everything else in the horror adventure section is freeware which of course gets more downloads than non-free software, so you can clearly see my point if you sort by popularity:

http://www.vector.co.jp/vpack/filearea/win/game/avg/horror/index_004.html

For those interested and not knowledgeable in the language, that would be ひぐらしのなく頃に, marked with the green PRODUCT icon. The 16+ section begins at that black banner and encompasses only those things BELOW that black banner.

EDIT: P.P.S: The "games" are actually more extreme as they are more detailed, and thus have more content. However, they don't have cut scene graphics and the like, so it is all just described in the text. And there is also no voice acting.

However, there are stand-up graphics of the characters - and the bridge scene in tatarikoroshi-hen  has her in the nude (^_^;; - which made me really double-check for the age restriction of the "games".
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 12:39:17 am by Deathworks »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: June 09, 2010, 02:48:15 pm »

Quote from: Deathworks
Where do you get that 17+ recommendation? I see nothing of the sort on the official homepage of 7th expansion and there is not even a warning about the content, which is often the case with horror/psycho games, even those not considered adult. There is no such comment in the readme file.
Eh... might just be for the DS games, which are definately rated D.  And the D rating is meant to be

# D (ages 17 and up) equivalent to ESRB's M rating, PEGI's 16 (high end) and 18 (low end) ratings, USK's 18 rating, and OFLC's MA15 (low end) rating. Games rated D include Ninja Gaiden, Halo 3, BioShock, Resistance 2, Bayonetta, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, and Nier. This is the strongest unrestricted CERO rating.
So uh, yeah.  I'm not sure if the DS games are more violent or something.

Incidentally, I like the way the importer which includes the line
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the product description table~.

About the nakedness - I think Mangagamer had to censor it for the English release version.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: June 09, 2010, 03:02:41 pm »

Hi!

Well, it could be the case that the DS games got a different rating. As far as I can tell, initially, there were the PC sound novels, which were the maiden creation of that circle. Without voice acting and no event CGs, they are actually quite tame on the technical side - so the writing must have opened them for business (actually, the teacher got her own standup graphic in the third or fourth game and they commented on that in the aftermath story :) :) :) ). The other adaption came after the anime version, I think, and are also influenced, so they are probably visually more explicit. Although I am not sure whether to expect them to be really nastier in the content.

Given that they place an age-restriction on a Japanese product, I think the importer was really well-adviced to mark it as non-hentai :) :) :)

And yes, the nakedness in the original game is uncensored, and given that they don't have voice acting, they can't use the usual method of simply giving the character the voice of a 60 year old professional prostitute and claim that she simply doesn't look her age :) :) :) :)

If they don't censor that image for the US market, I would think their offices would be burning by now :) :) :)

Currently, I am still in the first game of the Kai section (somehow, I lost a lot of time to some weird simulation game with dwarves and cats; I don't know if you know it :) :) :) :) ), and the differences between the anime and the novel are becoming stronger:

Deathworks

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: June 10, 2010, 10:29:41 am »

Ah Franken Fran. I read one chapter, and I'm fairly certain I won't sleep tonight.

EDIT: Just read chapter 2. I'm never sleeping again.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 12:01:43 pm by Diablous »
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: June 10, 2010, 11:59:51 am »

Franken Fran is so awesome.

You might want to spoiler those spoilers.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 2193