Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2077 2078 [2079] 2080 2081 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3084347 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31170 on: February 12, 2018, 10:53:25 pm »

Just got started catching up with Konosuba season 2. Still pretty funny. Happened across a better description of it than I'd managed to come up with, "If Seinfeld was an isekai parody and the characters were all terrible people."
Isn't the second half of that redundant?  Half the schtick of Seinfeld was that the characters were all terrible people. :P

I'll admit, though, if it weren't for all the warnings about pervasive fanservice in it, I would actually be intrigued enough to pick up Konosuba (especially with recommendations like this). I've just gotten so ill-tempered about gratuitous fanservice in the last four-five years that I simply haven't been able to drum up the will to give it a try.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:13:08 pm by Culise »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31171 on: February 12, 2018, 11:08:27 pm »

Just got started catching up with Konosuba season 2. Still pretty funny. Happened across a better description of it than I'd managed to come up with, "If Seinfeld was an isekai parody and the characters were all terrible people."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, so I walk into my gym's locker room, which has a wide screen tv in it, and by sheer coincidence this happens to be airing on it: Russian Figure Skater who happens to be a huge Sailor Moon fan.

I'm almost positive that someone must have brought up Russian Usagi atleast once before in the past, but she's so adorable it's worth mentioning again.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31172 on: February 12, 2018, 11:31:52 pm »

Isn't the second half of that redundant?  Half the schtick of Seinfeld was that the characters were all terrible people. :P

I'll admit, though, if it weren't for all the warnings about pervasive fanservice in it, I would actually be intrigued enough to pick up Konosuba (especially with recommendations like this). I've just gotten so ill-tempered about gratuitous fanservice in the last four-five years that I simply haven't been able to drum up the will to give it a try.
We've had this discussion like two or three times in this thread, but I didn't find it to be gratuitous. Your mileage may vary.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31173 on: February 13, 2018, 06:45:56 pm »

Kinda, yeah. But it's used increasingly as a more general "show about people doing nothing in particular" reference that it seems worth specifying.

As for the other, we've sounded it out before, and it's probably best to just watch a little and see for yourself.  Here's the OP2 for anyone who's later than me. That derpy running and dancing kills me.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31174 on: February 13, 2018, 07:56:38 pm »

I know a lot of you guys don't watch this kind of thing.
Well I'm offended.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:59:51 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31175 on: February 13, 2018, 08:23:18 pm »

I know a lot of you guys don't watch this kind of thing.
Well I'm offended.
That scene is done no service by omitting the bit about the safety.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31176 on: February 15, 2018, 03:43:48 pm »

So the latest Ito's Stories covers a short that I never read, and it made me ponder an unlikely moral quandary:

« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:47:06 pm by JoshuaFH »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31177 on: February 15, 2018, 04:23:37 pm »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31178 on: February 15, 2018, 04:34:45 pm »

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31179 on: February 21, 2018, 11:10:20 am »

So Thunderbolt Fantasy got a cool little movie: The Sword of Life and Death. Any other show and that name would be unbearably pretentious, but TF has the cred to pull it off in my book.

And I'll reiterate for good measure, Thunderbolt Fantasy is some of the coolest shit I've ever seen, and this little movie is lives up to the hype. I recommend that anyone watch the series first, as the movie is both prequel and sequal-teaser wrapped into one. God I can't wait for the sequel series, after they gave us a taste of this menagerie of cool-ass characters that are on the horizon.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31180 on: February 22, 2018, 12:53:45 am »

A lot of Ito stories that I've read (and I've read, like, five of them, so I'm a certified expert) seem to have the problem of the twist being too convoluted to be scary.
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31181 on: February 22, 2018, 12:56:45 am »

I will tell you why you should be spooked soon. But first! I must explain to you the mating habits of yellow-bellied sliders.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31182 on: February 22, 2018, 02:12:46 am »

Yuru camp is so comfy.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31183 on: February 22, 2018, 11:05:38 am »

A lot of Ito stories that I've read (and I've read, like, five of them, so I'm a certified expert) seem to have the problem of the twist being too convoluted to be scary.

Pretty much. I'd say all of his best stories are ones that don't have twists, but rather that they don't have explanations at all, and leave you thinking what the hell just happened. The archetypical Ito monster isn't something that can even be understood, but is lovecraftian in nature, way further above anything that can be fought with human means, whose malevolence exerts itself both over the characters minds and bodies in ways that seemingly can't be defended against. Perhaps lovecraftian isn't the right word, because a lovecraftian creature is so much greater than anything humans can conceive of that it is indifferent to the plight of humans, while an Ito antagonist seems to be something that is designed by a higher intelligence (like an author of some kind...) from the ground up to target and specifically hate humans, or atleast whoever the protagonist is at the time.

I wonder if they'll be doing his longer stories, cause ones like Tomoe, Gyo, or Uzumaki are what made him really famous.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31184 on: February 23, 2018, 12:56:11 pm »

So after rewatching the first season of Seven Deadly Sins (still damn good) I started with the second. Right off the bat it does some things I really dislike, namely the whole power levels as numbers thing, seems utterly dumb and lazy and seriously detracts from the whole thing. Also hawk should've just stayed dead, that thing was annoying before but he's utterly insufferable now.

Rest of it seems up to snuff for the most part, Ban is still probably the most interesting character, learning more about Meliodas is cool too, even tho the new bads seem utterly archetypal and tropey, also not sure where King goes after this, that could all be handled poorly or it could turn out neat, will wait and see.

All in all, it's part the high bar set by the first season and part this one so far making some really lazy choices that's giving me doubt about it all, but we'll see.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 2077 2078 [2079] 2080 2081 ... 2193