Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2065 2066 [2067] 2068 2069 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066210 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30990 on: October 12, 2017, 01:44:06 pm »

No I know that anime is picked up on a much shorter basis than shows over here are, but yes I am used to the treatment of shows like naruto/bleach/one piece.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30991 on: October 12, 2017, 01:53:22 pm »

No I know that anime is picked up on a much shorter basis than shows over here are, but yes I am used to the treatment of shows like naruto/bleach/one piece.

Yeah, it's not a big deal, but those shows are sort of an abberation, because just airing them is actually profitable. They're so lucrative that the TV networks won't let you stop making them. e.g. when Diamond no Ace (a baseball shonen anime) went on a three-week break they had three recap episodes in a row. And it wasn't the studio who wanted to make those.

For a lot of anime however, they air late at night, e.g. midnight or later, in the "budget airtime" segment, so they're not paid very much by the networks, and they don't turn a profit until they sell DVDs and other stuff.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:01:50 pm by Reelya »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #30992 on: October 12, 2017, 02:07:53 pm »

So what you're saying is, they're the adult swim of Japan?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30993 on: October 12, 2017, 03:07:45 pm »

The very strict scheduling for anime is another contrast to American cartoons, which often seem to be done on a "we'll release episodes whenever" basis. It means they absolutely have to produce something every week, and often the TV run will have obviously substandard parts that are fixed for the BD release.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30994 on: October 12, 2017, 03:46:47 pm »

The very strict scheduling for anime is another contrast to American cartoons, which often seem to be done on a "we'll release episodes whenever" basis. It means they absolutely have to produce something every week, and often the TV run will have obviously substandard parts that are fixed for the BD release.
However, without those production screw-ups, we wouldn't have classic moments like the cabbage incident:

and Kamichama Karin's butt-ugly face in this shot:

... And these things enrich everyone's lives even if you never saw those shows.

However, I should point out that 20 years ago it was more like American shows, with 26 episodes being abnormally short.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So what you're saying is, they're the adult swim of Japan?
I wouldn't really know, since I'm in Australia, and I don't have cable. I know adult swim is a thing, but I haven't seen it.

... Heh, i've just had a bit of fun by restricting Google to dates from 1990-2001 and seeing how people were discussing the new-fangled "anime" thing to the 'net back then:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 05:21:18 pm by Reelya »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #30995 on: October 12, 2017, 07:55:59 pm »

Okay, what actually is wrong with the cabbage incident?  Just that cabbage doesn't act like that, or is there some deeper continuity error I'm not seeing?  The fact that its a perfect green sphere?

Part of what I meant by Adult Swim is that Cartoon Network isn't usually willing to invest much money into animating their adult shows.  That would line up with strict deadlines and short runs for late-night anime.  In both cases it shows a lack of faith that the channel is going to get much money back from their investment.  Rick and Morty is the absolute top of the line for adult swim, there have been some adult swim shows that were about the same quality as online Flash MX animations from 10-15 years ago.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30996 on: October 12, 2017, 08:02:43 pm »

Okay, what actually is wrong with the cabbage incident?  Just that cabbage doesn't act like that, or is there some deeper continuity error I'm not seeing?  The fact that its a perfect green sphere?

Yeah, the point was that it's a perfectly-formed platonic solid with perfectly concentric layers, being cut in half perfectly with a single, even stroke of the knife (and as you mention, the physics is off, too. Plus, the cut should be an ellipse, not the pinched thing we see). Like you mentioned, the whole thing was re-drawn for the DVDs. Note that this includes the girl's arm and her outfit, so I'm guessing more than just the cabbage was off-model in this shot.

Part of what I meant by Adult Swim is that Cartoon Network isn't usually willing to invest much money into animating their adult shows.  That would line up with strict deadlines and short runs for late-night anime.  In both cases it shows a lack of faith that the channel is going to get much money back from their investment.  Rick and Morty is the absolute top of the line for adult swim, there have been some adult swim shows that were about the same quality as online Flash MX animations from 10-15 years ago.

Yeah, well it all basically comes down to the fact that you just can't get a lot of money for adverts late at night, so those times end up as a dolldrums with either infomercials or reruns of old shows, in the West. In Japan however, they get low-budget anime during that time instead ... which is better than infomercials or I Love Lucy re-runs, at least :) The network is definitely not going to pay you more money for that than they expect in advertising revenue, right? So any additional cash for a level of quality above "shitty" comes from external investors who are getting a cut of your profits on DVD and merch sales in return. I'm guessing the short runs are mainly because having new stuff all the time maintains a constant level of new buyers / viewers rather than having it slump off. The revenue streams are marginal so that makes it riskier.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:29:42 pm by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30997 on: October 12, 2017, 11:09:32 pm »

People complaining about lack of options and how great it was in the Golden Era should slap themselves and check the history.
People making that complaint usually mean "lack of options that I personally like" and often that's a subset of what's getting talked about widely enough to be heard of. We talked just recently about the dire state of the mainstream market, but even before that discussion I was pretty sure that the typical (pleb) anime viewer doesn't actually try everything, or a significant portion thereof, that comes out each season.

In Japan however, they get low-budget anime during that time instead ... which is better than infomercials or I Love Lucy re-runs, at least :)
Why you picking a bone there? The show was excellent and Lucille Ball was a national treasure.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30998 on: October 13, 2017, 01:12:06 am »

In Japan however, they get low-budget anime during that time instead ... which is better than infomercials or I Love Lucy re-runs, at least :)
Why you picking a bone there? The show was excellent and Lucille Ball was a national treasure.

I love Lucy is fine, but you don't need to see the whole thing more than a couple of times.

The reason for using it as the Ur Example was because it was the first show in history that was ever re-run, so it's been re-run for a longer time than anything else. Hence if you're criticizing re-runs as a concept, then it's the go-to example. It's been in constant re-runs for about three times as long as the typical bay12 forumite has been alive ;)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 01:26:14 am by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30999 on: October 13, 2017, 11:19:06 pm »

Here's the last of the shows I'll be assessing this season, barring one taking off hype-wise and getting my attention for that reason.

UQ Holder opens by stripping a bunch of girls, so presumably that'll set the tone. I really like the aesthetic they go for in the OP though, and the setting seems potentially interesting. It's also surprisingly gruesome from the get-go. It's not going to be a timeless classic or anything, but you can enjoy it if you like that sort of thing.

Anime Gataris seems like a nice slice of life and I like the OP. It's interesting because the voice acting doesn't really seem to stand out but the characters did a good job of capturing my attention anyway. Definitely getting some gay vibes off of it, in case that bothers you. Or doesn't just feel like yuri pandering though, it feels like actual homosexual romance, though it could easily stop at shoujo ai. Also despite being SoL there's something weird going on with a cat and a hat.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:14:55 am by Cruxador »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31000 on: October 14, 2017, 03:57:07 am »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31001 on: October 14, 2017, 04:50:10 am »

Farewell Alexander Anderson, you magnificent bastard.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31002 on: October 14, 2017, 02:21:04 pm »

On UQ Holder, I've seen 2 eps and I'm still not sure if I like it or not. It's really weird tbh, the combination of silly antics and rather brutal gore is rather jarring. A lighthearted take on ultraviolence I guess. And it really loves to play around with fanservice, especially the second episode takes the piss, which I really like I guess, seems rather self aware for something so shallow at a first glance.

Guess I'll watch a few more eps, not like I have anything else to follow for the time being. Hopefully they keep up the weirdness and it doesn't devolve into haremshit/fanservice nonsense after 3 eps
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31003 on: October 15, 2017, 04:36:31 am »

Did you like Negima and found yourself going "waiiiit, where's the rest, there are dangling plots, unanswered questions, lots more backstory, and all we got was a couple of peeks at the way things ended up?"

Well, UQ Holder is literally that, and it's Akamatsu so you've got it backwards; it starts with the haremshit/fanservice nonsense and then grows a plot somewhere along the line.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31004 on: October 15, 2017, 07:27:27 am »

Never watched Negima actually xD
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 2065 2066 [2067] 2068 2069 ... 2193