Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2064 2065 [2066] 2067 2068 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066185 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30975 on: October 08, 2017, 11:04:04 pm »

My point was rhetorical, I should have written "by that standard ... the real world is a dystopia". The first part was implied, because those particular things in Centaur no Nayami aren't in fact any more screwed up than things we either live with already or were being done not many years ago.

People got arrested in ISIS-controlled lands for shaving their beards off. That's no more extreme than the "no cutting racially relevant hair" thing in C.n.N.

It's actually not that far removed from contemporary education issues, except those generally revolve around gender issues not race. e.g. if you say the wrong things at university, they have diversity tribunals (see professor Jonothan Haidt - he had to go through such a process based on nothing but a student not understanding the course material) and mandatory diversity training that you have to go through, and check off that you repeat the exact right "beliefs" by the end of the training process, otherwise you face further disciplinary action. This is ... really not very far off from the "re-education" as described in C.n.N. It's probably exactly the same as Duluth Model training or other types of mandatory diversity training that exists. This makes C.n.N more descriptive than anything, but just through a fantasy lens.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 11:19:38 pm by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30976 on: October 09, 2017, 03:28:39 am »

Huh, ISIS kinda has a point, shaving is for legs and crotches, though arresting is a bit much.

UQ Holder is looking well done, enjoy the "cute and lighthearted... oh fuck that's a lot of blood" pace so far.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30977 on: October 09, 2017, 08:31:20 pm »

Wait, did it get an anime run?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30978 on: October 10, 2017, 10:03:53 am »

Right? It got so little hype it pretty much slipped past my radar too, even though I remember hearing of it at the beginning of the season

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #30979 on: October 10, 2017, 05:04:45 pm »

This post has been purged for the greater good.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:27:46 am by 90908 »
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30980 on: October 11, 2017, 06:01:22 am »

on a quick glance it looks like you mixed up the genders of Adam and Lilith unless thats a thing in said show...

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #30981 on: October 11, 2017, 08:17:18 pm »

on a quick glance it looks like you mixed up the genders of Adam and Lilith unless thats a thing in said show...
It's pprobably an SJW plot to ruin our animes!

Good, wholesome, American animes! /s
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30982 on: October 11, 2017, 08:31:36 pm »

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/10/anime-feminist-wants-to-get-real-about-fan-service/

So there's an online thing for that. Somehow I can't see some white girl's criticism having much traction among Japanese creators.

D'Anastasio: What's an anime that you think portrays women well?

Cook: My personal favourite is actually Planetes. It's set in a workplace, men and women are working together. It's got women of colour.

Hate to break it to you lady, but every anime has women of color. Also, since there are very few African people in Japan, why should anyone expect that they get representation that would be proportionate for an American production? They're not trying to portray America, so that's sort of bullshit. Why not complain that there aren't enough eskimos in American shows while we're at it? American shows don't need eskimos because there aren't any fucking eskimos. Same with Japan and the African-American types you want portrayed. Japan needs token Ainu, not token blacks.

One example I'd give is Flip Flappers. It's beautiful. It's a really beautiful fairy tale anime about two young girls. It seems to be headed down a queer route. Women will find that really appealing. ... It's not censorship, because we're not asking animators in Japan to stop making anything. Were not asking people to ban anything. We're not asking for any rules to be put in place. What we'd like to see is more anime being created to give more options to people. You watch Flip Flappers and think it's going to be a sweet, innocent story. In the middle, you get a scene that's quite uncomfortable to watch.

Well there's the thing. She lauds the "queer route" of the story, yet wishes they'd make a version of the show without a scene that made her "uncomfortable" - which was the one where the girl was upside down and had to hold her skirt up out of embarassment. But ... what about women who would find a story about "two young girls" who head down a "queer route" to be uncomfortable? This really highlights the general flaw in the "if we only scrubbed all possibly offensive elements from more shows then they would be more appealing" argument. No one person gets to decide what is offensive.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:48:21 pm by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30983 on: October 11, 2017, 09:35:22 pm »

Yup, and the manga is on like 140 or something now so there is no worry of them having to fake it or put it on hiatus.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30984 on: October 11, 2017, 09:58:45 pm »

Yup, and the manga is on like 140 or something now so there is no worry of them having to fake it or put it on hiatus.

I think you're mixing up a few things here.

UQ Holder will be "put on hiatus" because it's a night-time anime (midnight), not prime-time. Night-time anime are always contracted for limited 3 or 6 months, and they plan out which shows are coming on for a whole year or more. So UQ Holder will end and some other franchise will air. That can't be changed, because it involves so many legal parties: manga publishers, anime studios, TV networks. Plus, the animators for UQ Holder will already have started making something else while it's airing. It's like a pipeline: the pre-production team / concept artists will be working on the next show already, even before UQ Holder aired it's first episode.

UQ Holder will run for a little while. Then they'll see how it does in DVD sales, then they might contract another season. But never expect to see the next season until at least 9 months after the last one finishes airing. That's their lead-time on production planning.

The constant-running ones with filler are weekend kid's anime, because those pull in tons of TV advertising revenue, so the networks heavily pressure the studio to keep churning out content. It's a whole different system.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:36:02 pm by Reelya »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #30985 on: October 11, 2017, 10:27:02 pm »

Well there's the thing.
I feel like the bigger fuckup was claiming women would really appreciate two girls sort of maybe being a couple, as opposed to two cute guys definitely being a couple and also fighting over a suspiciously plain girl. Price of labeling your fetishes as politics, I suppose.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30986 on: October 12, 2017, 12:11:38 am »

I think you're mixing up a few things here.
A show ending up on a break for financial reasons or staff availability or whatever else is different from stuff like what happened to [insert any number of shows based on various long running manga] where they caught up to the manga and then you get weirdness like FMA before the Brotherhood remake, or the various attempts with Negima in the past where the show started off fine then runs out of material while still having a season or two contracted out.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30987 on: October 12, 2017, 12:17:57 am »

There's only been one Negima TV anime which ran for a scheduled 26 episodes. No scheduling or running-out-of-material issues.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negima!_Magister_Negi_Magi
Everything else was direct-to-DVD specials. There was no "cancelled" series, because that's not how almost all animes are produced. It had a single TV run exactly the same length as most animes of it's time: 26 episodes. It was no more "cancelled" than Neon Genesis Evangelion was, which also ran for 26 episodes.

But even in cases like FMA, that didn't go "off the air" because they ran out of material. It was scheduled for 51 episodes (4 cour, exactly 1 year) then the second half was original material, because the manga author requested it end with an original ending. She was involved deeply in the production. The reason it ends like that isn't because they were trying to stretch it out or it was "canceled" - it ends like that because they were told they were only getting one year to start with, so they wanted to end on a "finished" storyline.

I think you're still stuck on thinking this stuff works like it does in the USA, e.g. they just air one show and keep running the same show until it ratings drop and it gets canceled. Anime just isn't produced like that. For 99% of anime, they run 13 or 26 episodes, then they stop. Then about a year later you might get the contract renewed for another run. But probably not. That's the normal course for 99% of anime.

The only exceptions are a tiny handful of long-running kid's anime, which air on saturday and sunday mornings and make all their money from tv toy advertisements, basically. With those, they're all about filler because the profits from the advertisements are so lucrative, so the networks don't want the thing to ever end. These sorts of shows are exceptions.

Something like Negima is never going to be a continuous anime. It's the wrong genre for that.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 12:46:10 am by Reelya »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #30988 on: October 12, 2017, 10:36:53 am »

While I dislike getting into these kinds of discussions, I feel like I should probably clarify some things. There actually was a second tv anime called Negima?!. However that one was made purposefully as an AU to the original manga to the point of being a different series complete with its own seperate manga called Negima?! Neo, so it doesn't really apply to the argument, same with the live action series which was also purposefully divergent.

What Max is probably referring to though is that the all-original story ending finale of the first anime was infamously abrupt and was introduced without warning in the last few episodes, cutting off all the ongoing plot and character threads that had already been set in motion. This lead to rumors in the fanbase that the studio had been planning for future seasons but either negotiations fell through or the project was canceled mid season, which from there mutated into a widespread rumor that the series had ended that way because it had run out of content to adapt.

The truthfulness of this claim aside, from what i can recalled and piece together the reason for why this became a wide spread belief was a combination of a few factors. The first of course being the transformation of the manga's genre to a Shonen Battler a third of the way in, and the "golden age" of Negima's fanbase was after its genre shift, and this time period was during the Heyday of the Big Three. As a result back then those were the types of productions that we were most familiar with back then. This was furthered along by people's frustration with the fact that near the end there had been three seperate tv adaptations of Negima and a confusing amount of subgrouped OVAs scattered around, among which none of which accurately represented the manga's later content and story direction, leaving the only proper adaptation in the eyes of the manga's fans being a short set of OVAs portraying the Magic World arc that were packaged with the special editions of the manga volumes, but stopped right before whats considered the most beloved fight in the series.

Basically what this meant was that not only was there a general lack of awareness of the seasonal system among us in the target audience within the western fanbase at the time, but the belief in that the lack of adaptations of the later arcs due to the tv adaptations running out of material presented a compelling narrative which told that the production itself was not at fault for the unsatisfying adaptation directions, but most importantly left open a hope that someday a new adapation would be made that would be an accurate ongoing adaptation of the manga's content.

This rumor was also probably perpetuated by tvtropes, which from what i can recall had several mentions of the subject but stated as if it were a fact, and the fanbase had been very active within the website back then, during which the series had gained some small amount of fame on the site due to the sheer amount of content logged for it there, which likely played a role in drawing in new readers who would then see the entries about the original anime's ending and yadda yadda yadda.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:14:43 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30989 on: October 12, 2017, 10:52:09 am »

Kuujira no Kora was Sajou ni Utau is really good at conveying an interesting setting. It has a lot of promise so far. I have no idea where the story is going, which could be a good or bad sign. So far though, I'm leaning strongly towards good. If they can keep this up, it's bound to be the kind of anime that's famous for decades. Well, assuming it gets seen in the first place, which isn't a given since there's no simulcast and that's sort of a standard these days. But apparently it's on Netflix so maybe that helps? I don't really know their system.

Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte Kara is a good short if you want something cute to teach you new drinks to mix.

Is kind of on-the-nose but it's a fun little mockery of certain incest-oriented shows. And yet it seems like it's also potentially a serious slice of life about working young men; it's comedic but the comedy is just about kids in their 20s screwing around. And then there's a significant section on a riddle. So I'm not sure what kind of show this is.

Pages: 1 ... 2064 2065 [2066] 2067 2068 ... 2193