Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2048 2049 [2050] 2051 2052 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066233 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30735 on: July 23, 2017, 01:38:19 am »

Well Dragon Ball Super's current arc has been made of calcified disappointment so far.

I understand why, they created the arc without any REAL plan on how to follow through and then they found out it was far too ambitious. Still sad.

I still need a new anime... Where was that list... Where was that exorcism anime...

That's kinda the thing, there's a lot of room to tell interesting stories about being stuck in MMOs, it's just that it's also a really easy shortcut for lazy self-insert trash

The most common type of Trash I see in general (not isolated to Anime... In fact books are a common source of this too) is things with great premises but that don't really want to follow up with that premise and instead use it as more of a pretense.

Take Mahouka, the greatest unintentional parody anime EVER!, it is about a society where people are split into "haves" and "Have nots" and how just one person blurring that line puts into question the entire fabric that society is based on because it suggests that perhaps things are biased towards "haves"... All with cool magic fights.

So the main character is a "Have not" who is a super genius whose magical disability means that he is better than everyone else with magic to the extent that his magical limitations (which are later removed may I add) make less sense than his abilities. Everyone loves him automatically, he is just the best, and you can immediately tell who is a villain because they have a different opinion than him or just don't like him.

The setting is a pretense to talk about the most amazing Mary Sue ever created! You might as well honestly throw out the setting.

(Mind you part of this is observer bias. A flat out bad book with a run of the mill story... won't even blip on the radar.)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 01:42:13 am by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30736 on: July 23, 2017, 10:09:21 am »

A twist we should have all seen coming and fuck your spoilers if you don't know it yet: Aizen was actually a good guy pretending to be a bad guy pretending to be a good guy so he could get the mc all hyped up when the bad guy who is actually the bad guy shows up and is like RAWR IMMA EAT ALL THE POWERMONS and bullshits half the cast into non-existence before the good-but-pretending-be-bad-pretending-to-be-good guy shows up and is like hey man don't worry if he's your real dad and I'm basically your creepy uncle at this point, just remember the most important thing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I mean expecting titty kubone to not go full KUBO for the definitely no really guys this time it's actually over conclusion is an act of deliberate denial.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30737 on: July 25, 2017, 12:30:51 pm »

An idea
Sounds a lot like King of Thorn except less of a giant clusterfuck.
Also, the manga, not the movie. Haven't seen it but heard it wasn't crazy representative.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30738 on: July 25, 2017, 04:59:24 pm »

An idea
Sounds a lot like King of Thorn except less of a giant clusterfuck.
Also, the manga, not the movie. Haven't seen it but heard it wasn't crazy representative.
I just read a plot synopsis of the manga, and it sounds very... Japanese. That is, it's full of that peculiar sort of nonsensical weirdness which encompasses much of the manga/anime/LN/japanese vidya sphere, and not really in the good sense. :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30739 on: July 25, 2017, 11:57:03 pm »

Watching the King Of Thorn movie reminded me of playing the old school Resident Evil with friends actually. You have a bunch of people trapped in a facility full of death traps and monsters around every turn. It was fun enough for a schlocky movie. Although if you want to watch it, avoid reading wikipedia synopsis, as it gives away one of the main plot twists. no knowing what's going on makes it more fun to watch.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:00:47 am by Reelya »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #30740 on: July 26, 2017, 12:20:59 am »

Watched The Garden of Words last night.

It was beautiful. Absolutely stunning artwork.

The story was sweet, but the artwork really shown.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30741 on: July 28, 2017, 04:53:15 pm »

Oh, man. I'm not sure whether it's just me being suffused with whiskey, but that Castlevania series on Netflix is pretty damn good! It's got that classic art style and general vibes reminiscent of the Record of the Lodoss War. It's like it's running will all the old tropes, but somehow makes them feel fresh, or at least too cool to care.

edit: whaaat? there's only four episodes? blaaah! This needs more hype, so that they make another 20.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 05:21:40 pm by Il Palazzo »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #30742 on: July 28, 2017, 10:09:22 pm »

Yes, agreed, on all counts.

Though it's actually not Anime.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30743 on: July 28, 2017, 10:21:31 pm »

Though it's actually not Anime.

Shhhh don't say those words. You'll reignite the recurring "What is or isn't anime?" debate.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30744 on: July 29, 2017, 12:01:43 am »

... I actually really like the Persona 4 anime. It's a nice thing to watch at night when I can't be playing Persona 5 til my brain falls out.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30745 on: July 29, 2017, 05:42:54 pm »

I'm watching My Hero Academia and some of the scenes are very noticeably darkened. They stay darkened even when the video is paused so it's not something to do with my monitor. Why does that happen?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #30746 on: July 29, 2017, 06:56:33 pm »

Well, the opening has some tinted sequences, presumably for style. Not sure about the show proper - haven't noticed it myself.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #30747 on: July 30, 2017, 01:20:47 am »

I'm watching My Hero Academia and some of the scenes are very noticeably darkened. They stay darkened even when the video is paused so it's not something to do with my monitor. Why does that happen?
I believe that's because of some laws introduced a while ago back when a particular episode of Pokemon caused seizures in a lot of children due to the flashing colors, so now it's mandated that any scenes like that must be dimmed to prevent problems with epileptic kids.
Unless the dimming is happening in random scenes in which case I guess you're just haunted.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30748 on: July 30, 2017, 03:28:23 am »

A lot of action/special effect scenes in anime, particularly children's anime, are darkened and have the framerate reduced to prevent seizures. As Dumbo notes, you can see it a lot in early episodes of Pokemon.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #30749 on: July 31, 2017, 03:07:42 pm »

Just started Boku no Hero.

I was expecting Shounenshit or maybe Ratman. Not a dictionary definition of "heroic paragon" and everyone is Xmen.

I suspect I will be joining the waifuwars I've been seeing between Floatgirl and Frogwoman soon. I reserve judgment as to which side until Frogbroad actually shows up though.

Also Jetdude figured out the genre conventions for the test before the big reveal. Good job Jetdude.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 2048 2049 [2050] 2051 2052 ... 2193