Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2030 2031 [2032] 2033 2034 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067781 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30465 on: May 22, 2017, 03:45:12 am »

Netflix also simulcast Sidonia no Kishi from the same author as Blame!, so my guess is that they already had a business relationship with the licensors behind that.

Netflix is pretty interested in moving into that territory I think, but I don't think they're going to unseat CrunchyRoll. Netflix's idea of "Simulcast" is to buy a few selected things, and air them about three months after they played in Japan.

~~~

Now i have a dilemma, i have the Koe no Katachi manga on my reading list, but I really want to see the movie too. I think I'll actually fast-track the manga before checking out the movie.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 03:49:28 am by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30466 on: May 22, 2017, 07:58:26 am »

Huh, I do remember seeing the netflix thing when I was watching Sidonia, they showed a little clip of Blame! on tv in Sidonia and it was (what I thought at the time) such a fucking tease, had no clue they'd follow through with it.

As for KnK, yeah, read the manga first, otherwise parts of the movie seem kinda confusing without your head to fill in "oh yeah, I guess they snipped that for time" in a couple spots. To You, The Immortal is the same author and also good if you really wanna get your sad on.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #30467 on: May 25, 2017, 02:07:52 am »

I'm actually kinda excited for Knights and Magic despite my general disdain for modern isekai. I've read bits of the manga and LN and was incredibly amused by the main character's mecha otaku enthusiasm, and have seen a few people say that that the MC's modus operandi throughout the further parts of the LN so far has continued to be "IGNORE HAREM FLAGS, ACQUIRE AWESOME GIANT ROBOTS". Finally an Isekai protagonist that I can actually sympathize with :V
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 02:12:36 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30468 on: May 25, 2017, 11:07:21 am »

I'm actually kinda excited for Knights and Magic despite my general disdain for modern isekai. I've read bits of the manga and LN and was incredibly amused by the main character's mecha otaku enthusiasm, and have seen a few people say that that the MC's modus operandi throughout the further parts of the LN so far has continued to be "IGNORE HAREM FLAGS, ACQUIRE AWESOME GIANT ROBOTS". Finally an Isekai protagonist that I can actually sympathize with :V
I'm not a fan of that voice acting, and the character and mecha designs feel off to me as well. I'm not familiar with the series, but just based on the video you linked I'm thinking it might be a better one to read than watch.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30469 on: May 25, 2017, 11:22:07 am »

Just finished NGE series. It was okay, but then postmodernism came along and ruined the ending. Screw you postmodernism. Should I watch the movie or is that also bad?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30470 on: May 25, 2017, 12:25:55 pm »

The last couple of episodes were because they ran out of both time and money while it was airing, so they put that in as filler. The movie End of Evangelion is the intended ending, but they apparently rewrote their ending ideas and ramped everything up to 11, because it was a movie and not on TV so they could get away with more, and by then the fan reaction was kicking in and NGE was starting to gain its cult status.

Another series that seems to have done the exact same thing is Tokyo Ghoul. Series 1's 2nd last episode had everyone facing off for the final battle, then the last episode completely detour into the goddamn ending of NGE TV all over again. Then, season 2 of Tokyo Ghoul starts with an episode which is clearly the intended final episode of season 1, with all the "last episode" bells and whistles, and the hero walking off into the sunset, and then a disjointed time skip to episode 2, which is the giveaway that it was a screwup.

However it's pretty fitting, seeing about how the MC in Tokyo Ghoul is even whinier than Shinji.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:49:37 pm by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30471 on: May 25, 2017, 01:56:00 pm »

God yeah, even Banagher would slap ghoulboy for bitching.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30472 on: May 25, 2017, 02:38:50 pm »

Just finished NGE series. It was okay, but then postmodernism came along and ruined the ending. Screw you postmodernism. Should I watch the movie or is that also bad?

If you don't like the weird, there's the Rebuild of Evangelion series which removes all the most controversial stuff, while adding in a good deal of shounen tropes that Evangelion had in lesser quantities. More fanservice, more action, happier endings, so on. They aren't bad flicks, if you want to see some more/different Evangelion.

Without spoiling too much though, the third movie is kind of a left turn. Not on par with the TV ending or EOE, but still a pretty radical departure in tone from the first two.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 02:40:25 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30473 on: May 25, 2017, 03:08:05 pm »

Yeah, the Rebuild series is neat, though it really makes the TV version look like garbage. Evangelion $.0: You Can (Not) Outspend Us.

One thing is certain though, RebuildRamiel > TVRamiel.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30474 on: May 25, 2017, 05:29:21 pm »

I would argue that most of the Rebuild Angels outperform their original counterparts by a considerable margin. Sahaquiel (the one that falls from space) in particular is one of my favorite battles, due to both the visuals and the music that plays during its scenes.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30475 on: May 25, 2017, 05:55:43 pm »

Yeah, that one was great too, and Zeruel was awesome, but fuck was Ramiel awesome, the fuck-geometry transformations, the screaming, and the huge fuckoff beam.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30476 on: May 25, 2017, 06:38:14 pm »

Oh, agreed. Sahaquiel might be my favorite, but Ramiel is right up there on the charts. Zeruel was just plain terrifying for its inability to give any fucks about what was thrown at it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #30477 on: May 25, 2017, 07:21:45 pm »

I don't know the Angel's names
But I liked the whole fight with the one who's method of attack was "fall"
Because *damn*, you can see that the money was put to good use
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30478 on: May 25, 2017, 10:50:36 pm »

I started watching Kuzu no Honkai.
I don't think I'm gonna finish watching it. Not from a lack of interest, but more because I think it'll probably destroy me.

Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan
Would you recommend?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30479 on: May 26, 2017, 04:43:11 pm »

I was really hoping that the Kado series was going in a different direction for a bit with more of a give and take instead of "Aliens are perfect! We need only accept them".

I know it MUST eventually hit that point (otherwise the entire premise as advertised is absolutely moot), heck it still might in this current development.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 04:45:06 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 2030 2031 [2032] 2033 2034 ... 2193