Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2008 2009 [2010] 2011 2012 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3072855 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30135 on: March 20, 2017, 05:42:13 am »

Goddamnit Youjo Senki left WW1 Tech and now has WW2 Tech :( i was looking forward to something that was going to stay properly in a First World War Scenario...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30136 on: March 20, 2017, 06:35:07 am »

That's kind of how i felt about Attack on Titan. They went from clever uses of low-tech solutions to something that's basically a magical powers show (even if it has biotech mumbo jumbo explanations for things which are clearly physically impossible).

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30137 on: March 20, 2017, 12:47:58 pm »

I think the first few episodes are supposed to demonstrate that the low-tech solutions are like a 30% fix.
The walls were supposed to account for the other 70%, but then magical powers happened.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30138 on: March 20, 2017, 01:36:32 pm »

Iron-Blooded Orphans is starting to repeat itself and it's making me sad. It's why I had to quit watching Breaking Bad, I just couldn't take the same minor conflict being brought up and immediately resolved over and over.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30139 on: March 21, 2017, 01:49:04 am »

Ok Reelya I know it sounds like I pissed over your suggestion (though the fact that I binge watched the first season and only stopped because I was disappointed should say that I liked it)

But I need something with MORE feels... hopefully with more tangibility.

Getting really depressed so hopefully it has a turn around and doesn't end with a pregnant teenager killing her boyfriend and then offing herself.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30140 on: March 21, 2017, 11:39:28 am »

That's kind of how i felt about Attack on Titan. They went from clever uses of low-tech solutions to something that's basically a magical powers show (even if it has biotech mumbo jumbo explanations for things which are clearly physically impossible).
What "biotech" powers? The ones where everyone can transform into Titans or something?
._.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30141 on: March 21, 2017, 12:52:25 pm »

Not everyone. Just snowflakes.

Season 2 is coming out soon so hopefully it'll elucidate all the things I haven't been bothered to read about in the mango.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30142 on: March 21, 2017, 03:22:40 pm »

What "biotech" powers? The ones where everyone can transform into Titans or something?

Apparently it's all explained by high tech experiments gone wrong, but matter that comes and goes into thin air is stretching "scientific explanations". It's a case where it's not actually supposed to be magical at all in nature, but you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30143 on: March 21, 2017, 03:51:14 pm »

That always drove me insane about Resident Evil. "Yeah, I can turn into an armored poison-spitting flying scorpion monster five times my regular size, in about ten seconds. Because bioweapons." IMO it's worse in Attack on Titan because it's 100% straight-faced at all times, not a trace of camp or self-awareness.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30144 on: March 21, 2017, 04:06:50 pm »

That always drove me insane about Resident Evil. "Yeah, I can turn into an armored poison-spitting flying scorpion monster five times my regular size, in about ten seconds. Because bioweapons." IMO it's worse in Attack on Titan because it's 100% straight-faced at all times, not a trace of camp or self-awareness.

Yeah to admit Resident Evil kind of didn't know if it wanted to be B-Movie or serious in some way... But it found its happy medium. Knowing that it couldn't really be one or the other entirely.

Well until Resident Evil 5 and 6... with 7 moving it back on track.

The funny thing is... Resident Evil lucked into that. If you see some of the things they wanted to do...

---

Man I am just trying to wrap my head around how freeken young everyone in the anime I am watching would have had to be in order for the anime to check out.

Edit: An now I see exactly when the anime started getting some serious budget cuts...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:01:17 pm by Neonivek »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30145 on: March 21, 2017, 11:54:26 pm »

Apparently it's all explained by high tech experiments gone wrong, but matter that comes and goes into thin air is stretching "scientific explanations". It's a case where it's not actually supposed to be magical at all in nature, but you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Well...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30146 on: March 22, 2017, 04:05:42 am »

Ah.. Manga spoilers.
I see.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30147 on: March 22, 2017, 04:38:23 am »

Yeah, the anime won't get there for a loooooong time yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30148 on: March 23, 2017, 05:57:34 am »

In a lot of anime I seriously wonder how other religions would factor in when Shinto and/or Daoism is basically outright powerful.

But given Anime's track record maybe I should hope for it to keep it to itself.

I mean... Could a Catholic Priest perform exorcisms on Yokai?

---

It is weird that the pieces of fiction I have that kind of delve into it are Western...

in Witchcraft and Apocalypse (Pen and Paper RPGs), The Inspired (people empowered by their faith) come from all denominations and when they fight each other their powers flat out do not work.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 06:01:44 am by Neonivek »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30149 on: March 23, 2017, 12:57:04 pm »

In a lot of anime I seriously wonder how other religions would factor in when Shinto and/or Daoism is basically outright powerful.
In general, if those work then so do buddhism and catholicism if they're portrayed at all, and they all interact with each other's myths in a pretty unified fashion. So yeah, catholics can exorcise youkai just like shinto priests can; a demon's a demon.
Pages: 1 ... 2008 2009 [2010] 2011 2012 ... 2193