Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2007 2008 [2009] 2010 2011 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3072827 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30120 on: March 12, 2017, 05:42:13 pm »

You're thinking of SEED and the CE timeline. Since it focuses on Coordinators they never actually discover Newtypes in the setting, but a couple of the characters have Newtype Flash moments and were confirmed to be such by the Director.

...also whatever timeline you're talking about in that edit there. It doesn't exist. There's UC sidestories that touch on the topic you're referring to, but there are no full universes that match that description.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:43:49 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30121 on: March 12, 2017, 05:43:06 pm »

You're thinking of SEED and the CE timeline. Since it focuses on Coordinators they never actually discover Newtypes in the setting, but a couple of the characters have Newtype Flash moments and were confirmed to be such by the Director.

Plus whatever the Gunpla timeline is part of (which my theory is that it exists in all timelines at once... and is some sort of otherworld nexus)

Though I don't... THINK outside that whole... Nexus aspect... that it connects to anything... but maybe I didn't pay enough attention (for all I know that Prince's dimension is actually like... a legit pre-established gundam setting)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:44:57 pm by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #30122 on: March 12, 2017, 05:48:21 pm »

Well, it's half-jokingly said by the fanbase and a couple crew members to be mecha-valhalla, but if you want to talk about it from a serious standpoint its otherwise just suppose to be a generic near-future of our world without any connections to the rest of the franchise.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:51:25 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30123 on: March 12, 2017, 05:51:55 pm »

Supposedly.

Though it being connected to all space and time in the Gundam universe does fill in quite a few holes such as even how the Gunpla technology works. Where it functions due to faximilation (Dang correct... Faximilee... Phaxililee? DANG IT! By being similar) where even a really good paintjob supposedly improves the performance (The only setting where Racing Stripes really do make it go faster)

Though this is all hypotheticals that will never be answered because Season 2 stank to high heavens and the show was treated as too much of an advertisement vehicle to ever REALLY get its own true series (unless it has... >_> but I doubt it)

It helps though that the world did connect to a world where Gundams did legitimately exist though.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:54:07 pm by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #30124 on: March 12, 2017, 05:55:04 pm »

*pats in sympathy*

Do you mean fascimile?

On the bright side, we're still scheduled to get an OVA based off season 1 done by its original director within the next year or two, and the Gundam Breaker games series has been doing well, and its most recent entry's story was basically a Build Fighters story, even if its not indicated to be the same setting as far as I've heard.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30125 on: March 12, 2017, 05:58:42 pm »

Ohh that is great! The second season answered soo few questions about what happened after season 1 (and in fact... brought up even more questions)

Now maybe I'll finally get to see the Gundam Galaxy in action!

Then again the second season almost felt like one HUGE sequel beg... It didn't even pretend that everything you saw wasn't just a warmup for a season that will never come (With what? The strongest challenger in the entire show never even facing our protagonist.. and the strongest builder not even appearing)

----

WOOOOOWWW!!!

Little Witch Academia has made a positively ANCIENT reference! I swear I seen a Aim for the Ace in there!

Also Diana to answer your question on how you could ever be cold to Akko...

Because you have appearances to keep. As well while Akko talks a big game about passion she rarely lifts a finger towards self-improvement or study making her seem like a lazy nobody who just wants to be given great magical gifts you had to work very hard for. As well she is irresponsible and almost gets other people hurt or killed on a near daily basis. Yet even though she tries the least, and troubles people the most she also is the one who criticizes everyone, in fact a lot more often than even you.

Akko has REALLY not grown into being a worthwhile protagonist yet Diana... and frankly if I was a student in that school I'd 100% be on your side. Akko just seems like a drain in general, not because of her lack of magic skill... but because she tries the least out of everyone and demands the most out of you.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 02:04:53 am by Neonivek »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30126 on: March 14, 2017, 12:20:09 am »

Apparently Konosuba has a second season. Is it good?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30127 on: March 14, 2017, 07:49:38 am »

I doubt it's much different to the first season. The story was never very plot heavy. The one time it looked like a plot was developing, there really wasn't, and that was the punchline to the gag.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30128 on: March 14, 2017, 03:37:40 pm »

It's got a good amount of PLOT though, and despite what some have thought, it had PLOT from day 1.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30129 on: March 15, 2017, 12:19:52 am »

Apparently Konosuba has a second season. Is it good?
I like it. They're going back to some of the stuff that was cut from the LN, and the tone is more like the LN in general, but it's not a very big change. They've embraced the art weirdness that occasionally popped up for budget reasons the first time. There's plenty more characters that were previously only known to LN-readers and stuff.

The best part of the show is the voice actors anyway, and they're still good.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30130 on: March 15, 2017, 10:46:23 am »

Finished One Outs last night and damnit I never expected myself to cry at a baseball/gambling manga, but I did anyway.  What an amazing read.
Anyone know another good baseball or gambling manga?

Yeah I really loved One Outs as well, I watched the anime three times before finishing the manga. STILL really bummed that the second half never got an adaptation. My biggest complaint with the series is that I felt the ending was kinda underwhelming, and that the artist overuses the "Shocked Face, with mouth fully agape" FAR FAR FAR too often; I'm pretty sure at some point there were characters whose mouths were never closed, they were just in a perpetual state of jaw-dropped. Characters mouths were so wide open you'd think they were preparing to swallow their freshly killed prey whole. It felt ridiculous, just yappy mouths, yappy mouths everywhere.

You can always check out Liar Game by the same author.

I highly recommend Legend of Koizumi and Gamble Fish, which I still maintain are the two mangas that deserve full, lavish anime adaptations more than any other manga in existence.

Akagi is very much in the same vein as One Outs, in the sense that it is about an aloof genius effortlessly outmindgaming and outstrategizing everyone. There's also its cousin anime, Kaiji, though it is about gambling, the main character isn't a towering genius of gambling, and actually fails quite a lot, but that makes him a lot more likable in my opinion.

If it's just baseball you want, there's Diamond No Ace, which I liked a lot. characters in that one are just bursting with spiral energy.

And by sheer coincidence, while not a manga, I finished reading The Natural by Bernard Malamud, about an up and coming baseball genius who is gunned down (nonfatally) in his prime, and has to start fresh way after his prime is over and gone. I quite liked it a lot, even if the suspension of disbelief occasionally comes apart from the characters acting silly and unrealistic at times.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 10:49:42 am by JoshuaFH »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30131 on: March 17, 2017, 07:01:20 am »

Kind of a shame that Kono Suba gets only ten eps per season, leaves you wanting for more, even if you're aware that'd it'd probably wear out its welcome in that case.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30132 on: March 17, 2017, 08:28:15 pm »

Goodness I should watch that Yokai watch anime again... It is actually kind of funny and pleasant

My favorite skit was of a Yokai who is wearing a human disguise and he basically is a Janitor... But through no fault or merit of his own he keeps being promoted more and more... But he doesn't exactly realize he is being promoted so he still thinks his job is as a Janitor... and it becomes this entire saga.

Also no really... for a children's anime (younger than Shonen) it actually manages to be funny.

But then again I probably seen the funniest jokes.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #30133 on: March 18, 2017, 06:41:02 pm »

I LOL'd.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30134 on: March 19, 2017, 09:40:10 pm »

Ok lets do this! Season 2 of Natsune Chuujiro (or whatever... the Yokai slice of life)

Immediately their intro music is improved. It is actually of him try to cheer her up and not the whole "Little Things" thing. Also I love Jazzy themes (not a fan of the vocalist but whatever)

Also I know I shouldn't say this... but it would be so awesome if the characters fought in this series... but then again I only say that because some of the Yokai designs are great. I like how they sort of combine the pageant versions and the myth version... having a very simple elegance that is rarely obtained in shows. It is, and I know it isn't the proper word... minimalistic. The show deserves massive props for their character designs.

I do kind of with the episode dealt more with the interactions between Natsume and the Yokai of the episode... But this is kind of the go to for the show.

Hopefully something tangible occurs in the series because goodness is the show fluffy and non-stick. It is like a cloud, you can see if but you can't really touch it.

Mind you I know WHY that is... because Natsume cannot make connections. He is a broken person, a living ghost, he has closed himself off that deeply.

---

Kind of funny one episode had him finding Paper Dolls... and I was immediately freeked out

Mostly because... Japan is the only place where Paper Dolls are serious business!

---

Also Natsume and the actor look so alike... if they revealed they were related it wouldn't even be a twist. (Episode 3 of season 2 is so far my favorite of season 2)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 10:56:32 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 2007 2008 [2009] 2010 2011 ... 2193