Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2004 2005 [2006] 2007 2008 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3073128 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30075 on: March 07, 2017, 10:51:37 am »

What is the deal with Thunderbolt anyways, I remember watching one episode a couple months back, liking it, then realising that it was the only one to come out with nothing really following it, only to have it start coming out again a few weeks ago.

(It might just be HS dropping it for a while for whatever reason but I don't remember seeing it anywhere else either)
It's an odd little OVA series where each "season" is made as a batch of four 15 minute episodes released on youtube for a time, which then at the end gets compiled into a director's cut movie with extra footage. We're currently waiting on the start of the second season right now. The original release got a little wonky in terms of schedule from what I can remember and it became really hard to find the other episodes for some reason. It's probably best to just go find the December Sky compilation at this point.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30076 on: March 07, 2017, 12:49:13 pm »

It's "wonky" because we're spoiled by commercial simulcasts giving us decent subs to work with within a couple of days of the Japanese episode airing.

People bemoan the demise of independent fansubbers, but basically any time things happen the "old" way e.g. waiting months for intermittent scrounged episodes from whoever happened to sub them, subs not matching up between episodes because a different group did it, typesetting issues, people complain about it like it's not norrmal. It is in fact normal and how things were all the time before simulcasts existed.

Fansubbers still exist to do the odd shows that aren't part of the simulcast ecosystem (ONAs, OVAs, movies, shorts, specials etc), and considering how haphazard the whole thing is with 99% less shows to have to deal with, you can imagine how it was when this was normal for all shows.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 12:50:50 pm by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30077 on: March 07, 2017, 01:06:37 pm »

Yeah, find your local fansubber/translator/typesetter/cleaner/raw provider/anime~manga artist and give them a hug for making your world a richer and more interesting place!

Going back up a bit to Berserk, the most recent chapter where they meet the elf king showed one of the weirder things the series did to my brain: 'Oh wow, they're gorgeous... OH FUCK YOU ALL GONNA DIE, RUN!'

As for Goblin Slayer, I eagerly await it and Dungeon Meshi getting shows, plus Until Death Do Us Part (which still hasn't happened for some reason), and heck while I'm making wishlists I want a God of High School show (what do you call a manwha > show, no clue what the korean equivalent of anime is) plus one for The Breaker dammit!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30078 on: March 07, 2017, 05:30:00 pm »

the "old" way e.g. waiting months for intermittent scrounged episodes from whoever happened to sub them,
Before simulcast took off, most reasonably popular shows got subbed as they were released. You had to wait days, not months, for shows that major groups were on. And some speedsubbing groups got releases out in a matter of hours. The kind of subbing you're describing only applied to minor series that few people were interested in. The advantage of simulcast showing isn't so much regularity or quality as it is thoroughness, as even minor shows get simulcast. Sometimes with poor translations that damage appreciation in the western market (A recent example: Stella no Mahou) but shows that otherwise might have been missed still largely benefit. The core market of shows though? They've seen a tiny increase in regularity and speed for a significant decrease in typesetting quality and a decrease in video quality that apparently is very significant to people who care more about that than me.

I'd also like to say that fansubbing isn't really dead. It's just the upper crust, what some call the memecartel, that's much diminished. But you still see groups like GJM, DameDesuYo, and FFF pushing out content that's consistently at the same level of quality as it would have been at the "height" of fansubbing, and Commie is still around though they maintain their reputation for over-localizing.

Dungeon Meshi getting shows
I really don't see it transferring media very well. Recipes and ecology seem like a poor fit for the audiovisual format, and you'd need a considerable budget to do the food right, which is a tall order for a slow-paced shounen-type show. I think the things that make the manga good would wind up mostly on the cutting room floor.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30079 on: March 07, 2017, 06:21:19 pm »

Hey, they make shows about fucking cooking competitions, LET ME DREAM YOU BASTARD!

Though really, UDDUP not having a show yet is weird, there are over 200 out, great story, neat hooks to draw people in, nice style, wonder if someone is sitting on the license rights or something?

Hell, Vinland Saga is the same, why is THAT not a show?

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30080 on: March 07, 2017, 06:31:24 pm »

I really don't see it transferring media very well. Recipes and ecology seem like a poor fit for the audiovisual format, and you'd need a considerable budget to do the food right, which is a tall order for a slow-paced shounen-type show. I think the things that make the manga good would wind up mostly on the cutting room floor.

Cooking anime are often pretty popular, though? You're right that they have to actually do that well, and might not get away with using the same visual shorthand the manga does (3-4 panels of prepwork, then cut to the final product), but it seems pretty workable. No idea what their budget's like, though.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #30081 on: March 07, 2017, 06:43:13 pm »

What is the deal with Thunderbolt anyways, I remember watching one episode a couple months back, liking it, then realising that it was the only one to come out with nothing really following it, only to have it start coming out again a few weeks ago.

(It might just be HS dropping it for a while for whatever reason but I don't remember seeing it anywhere else either)
It's an odd little OVA series where each "season" is made as a batch of four 15 minute episodes released on youtube for a time, which then at the end gets compiled into a director's cut movie with extra footage. We're currently waiting on the start of the second season right now. The original release got a little wonky in terms of schedule from what I can remember and it became really hard to find the other episodes for some reason. It's probably best to just go find the December Sky compilation at this point.
It's "wonky" because we're spoiled by commercial simulcasts giving us decent subs to work with within a couple of days of the Japanese episode airing.

People bemoan the demise of independent fansubbers, but basically any time things happen the "old" way e.g. waiting months for intermittent scrounged episodes from whoever happened to sub them, subs not matching up between episodes because a different group did it, typesetting issues, people complain about it like it's not normal. It is in fact normal and how things were all the time before simulcasts existed.

Fansubbers still exist to do the odd shows that aren't part of the simulcast ecosystem (ONAs, OVAs, movies, shorts, specials etc), and considering how haphazard the whole thing is with 99% less shows to have to deal with, you can imagine how it was when this was normal for all shows.

While I appreciate your discourse, I don't see how any part of that lecture is relevant to what Furtuka was saying about Thunderbolt. Furtuka isn't talking about fansubbers, the people who made Thunderbolt air it on the official Gundam YouTube portal.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 06:47:36 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30082 on: March 07, 2017, 06:46:59 pm »

Cooking anime are often pretty popular, though? You're right that they have to actually do that well, and might not get away with using the same visual shorthand the manga does (3-4 panels of prepwork, then cut to the final product), but it seems pretty workable. No idea what their budget's like, though.
Yeah, and not to toot my own horn, especially because it looks obvious in hindsight, but years ago I was wondering why shingeki no kyojin wasn't more widely known, and idly dreaming of one punch man getting a show, along with vinland, god of high school, and uddup, 2 of those 5 have kickass shows now, I only bumped into meshi and goblin slayer recently but see the same "man this could make a cool show" structures there.

I read lots of different series, lots of them are met with eagerness and excitement when they update, but I'm not as confident that they'd translate as well, but those 3/5 left are obvious fits, stylish action, arcs and plots to follow, and lots of material.

With Meshi though, it seems like the ecology stuff would be a natural fit for the little "bumper" short/break type of format, where one character explains something or pulls out a chalkboard or whatnot, then it cuts back to the main show.

Pre-post-edit: Oh! Claymore and Blade of the Immortal both need proper shows now that they're completed...

Post-pre-post-edit: Knights of Sidonia is another I was trying to think of, but it's more a general "slather everything Nihei has ever touched in modern animation and fuck my eyeholes with it" desire so it didn't pop into my head at first.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30083 on: March 07, 2017, 07:00:32 pm »

Ok I have to hand it to one Horror anime

Must have been REALLY REALLY tough... not to have the horror take place in Room 4.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #30084 on: March 07, 2017, 07:03:02 pm »

People bemoan the demise of independent fansubbers, but basically any time things happen the "old" way e.g. waiting months for intermittent scrounged episodes from whoever happened to sub them, subs not matching up between episodes because a different group did it, typesetting issues, people complain about it like it's not normal. It is in fact normal and how things were all the time before simulcasts existed.

While I appreciate your discourse, I don't see how any part of that lecture is relevant to what Furtuka was saying about Thunderbolt. Furtuka isn't talking about fansubbers, the people who made Thunderbolt air it on the official Gundam YouTube portal.

Yeah, to clarify I was talking about how after the first episode, the rest of the official english sub streams weren't released on the official channel on their announced release dates and only finally got put up for the "rebroadcast" last month, and no forewarning or explanation ever got provided regarding it as far as I'm aware, which is strange considering how highly anticipated they were. I was just being vague because I was in a hurry and didn't have time to factcheck my memory at the time.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:04:53 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30085 on: March 07, 2017, 09:07:17 pm »

Whoever did it would almost certainly fuck it up.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30086 on: March 07, 2017, 09:47:26 pm »

I read the latest(maybe?idk how one would tell if the random ass pirated manga website you're reading this shit on is up to date) kingdom manga, and the overacting is really starting to get to me. It feels really unnecessary for everyone to be constantly gasping in shock at literally everything that happens.

I don't really have any deep thoughts on this, I just felt like venting that feeling a bit.

Edit: Also killing like 15 guys by kicking a shield wall and crushing them with their own shields stretched my suspension of disbelief even in a mystical magical martial arts setting.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:53:47 pm by Criptfeind »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30087 on: March 07, 2017, 10:33:28 pm »

Whoever did it would almost certainly fuck it up.
Couldn't be any harder than any other "basically real world historical setting" animes, just get the people who handled the gear and combat for Maria the Virgin Witch and you're gold!

Hell, apparently that was Production I.G. but you get the idea, I mean shit, the first part is damn near storyboarded already.

Soldiers trying to breach a fort on a lake, getting beaten back, cuts to a couple soldiers on a hill, dude talks to an older grey haired dude, he eyes the place and grins, setup looks like it's gonna be another army rush, he calls to a kid, says to bring a message, kid glares, he tells him to go, kid demands a reward, he mentions gold, kid tells him to fuck off, says he knows what he wants, he chuckles and agrees, saying he better bring the head of the fort commander, cuts to the guards trying to figure out what he is saying, go to grab him, snaps a finger and asks if anyone speaks norse, jump cut forward a bit to some guards standing upstream complaining about not being able to get boats through to help... one points at the trees, says they saw something, zoom in on a longboat dragon head moving through the trees that gets outlined against the moon, start intro music, the audience ain't going anywhere now.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:56:32 pm by Max™ »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30088 on: March 08, 2017, 02:36:23 am »

What is with the Bandaid Eyepatch imagry in anime?

TYPICALLY this is because one manga or anime... did it well and they are trying to copy it in some respect.

OR because it calls back to myth, analogy, or common experiences.

Or I guess maybe it is a way to make a character immediately unsettling and yet broken... That there is something wrong with a girl missing an eye. Not to mention because "Women are not meant for war" violence against them is seen as very wrong.

By the way... Anime...

Never ever say "But she isn't meant for war" ever again or Utena is going to beat your head in.

---
---

I think I've come to a conclusion about "SUPER ELITE SCHOOL" In anime...

They are a parody.

I mean yeah Japan is rather elitist... But then again the USA is very capitalist and they can poke fun at that system as well.

I mean sure they don't parade these schools AS a joke... but I THINK the audience is meant to scoff at how exaggerated this school is... while at the same time being able to relate to the experience.

I am really interested to know how Japan deals with the disenfranchised... Because their education system IS highly competitive. THEN again they also do seem to be trying to make sure that even the people on the bottom get their education (Which... What a coincidence... Super Elite school either expels them or punishes them)

Mind you I can't base this on much because "Super Elite Schools" don't get much of a wink or a nod... this isn't Hayate Combat Butler... and Yugioh GX was a super elite school
-But then again... GX's "Elite School" was still tolerable at the bottom... EXPECTED their students to rise through the ranks (you weren't meant to stay Red the entire time)... In many ways Slifer Red is meant to toughen you up and motivate you to do better (Plus it had genuine classes and didn't send you to sucky classes if you sucked)
--Actually you can interpret it two ways... Since Slifer Red was Yugi's God Card... You can say this is Kaiba's way of putting Yugi down... OR you can say this is his way of showing his respect to his opponent and allow people there to rise to greatness just like Yugi did.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 02:59:26 am by Neonivek »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30089 on: March 08, 2017, 01:16:00 pm »

What is with the Bandaid Eyepatch imagry in anime?

TYPICALLY this is because one manga or anime... did it well and they are trying to copy it in some respect.

OR because it calls back to myth, analogy, or common experiences.
It's the last one of those. Have a comic.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:37:45 pm by Cruxador »
Pages: 1 ... 2004 2005 [2006] 2007 2008 ... 2193