Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1992 1993 [1994] 1995 1996 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3074688 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29895 on: February 01, 2017, 04:00:25 am »

Is there a "Feels" anime with less fighting and more "Feels"?

I know I prefer gimmick animes but I have APPERANTLY run out of those...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:02:50 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29896 on: February 01, 2017, 04:04:36 am »

What sort of feels are you after? There are feels animes without any fighting whatsoever.

You can try Kimi ga Nozomu Eien for example:
But when tragedy strikes, things are never the same for these four friends again.
...Kind of sums the genre up really.

How about a gimmicky feels anime? All the Key series basically fit that bill, have you tried those? This one came out last year, from and older Key VN, and is pretty indicative of the genre: Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume.

Or this one, which is good and only 30+ minutes long: Kowarekake no Orgel. It's about a guy who finds a cute little robot girl someone threw in the rubbish for being defective.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:09:53 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29897 on: February 01, 2017, 04:06:56 am »

Well, I hope it isn't like... sad all the time

Like Full Moon Wo Sagashite was sad... but it wasn't like... set to depression, the vast majority of episodes were upbeat.

All the Key? never heard of it... Hmm not coming in my search, must have another title one second.

Oh... it is a company.

---

Awesome something like Chobits without the unfortunate implications that it is a sex robot... a sex robot who sometimes seems to lack the mental capacity to understand sex...

Wait one episode? Awww...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:12:51 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29898 on: February 01, 2017, 04:13:14 am »

Key are a studio that make visual novels known as "crying games", almost all of which get anime adaptations. Basically if you really like one key thing, you'll probably enjoy the rest, since they have a similar "vibe" to everything. The real trick they use is to alternate light and happy times with the emotional times. So you're not going to get a wall of sads, it's deliberately an emotional rollercoaster.

Best known series:

Air (13 episodes), also a 90 movie condensed movie version by a different director (the movie's a bit more coherent)
Kanon (a 13 episode version and a 26 version full remake)
Clannad (their magnum opus basically, about 50 episodes)

As well as that, Key writers also did Sola, and Angel Beats, which have thematic similarities to their other ones. More recently, they did Little Busters and a few more new ones.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:19:48 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29899 on: February 01, 2017, 04:18:23 am »

Ok this is a tough anime to find...

But do we have any Redeemer Animes? Or rather animes about (or prominently featuring) a redeemer type character?

For example Liar Game... Nao is a redeemer. It is her good heart that not only wins people over but lets them see the light and become better/good people.

Yet, while I say this I remember that I'll probably get "Ohh One Piece. Luffy tends to win people over" or "Dragon Ball Z, look at Vegeta and 18!". Which is entirely correct and definitely in the definition... But it isn't EXACTLY what I am looking for. Not so much that a redeemer can't be a combatant, but I dunno those examples seem to be mostly incidental and involved with their pure heartedness then as a major aspect of the character.

Another example would be the main character of Fruit Basket (Who I forget the name of...) who slowly *redacted*.

I also know that redeemer characters can be FREEKEN OBNOXIOUS!

Something with at least a few episodes under its belt.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:20:19 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29900 on: February 01, 2017, 04:24:20 am »

Oh I got one for you, Natsume Yuujinchou. Highly recommend it. It's an episodic feels/comedy anime about a guy who helps spirits. Perhaps ... like a more lighthearted Mushishi, but it's more emotional rather than how everything in Mushishi is "dispassionate" for want of a better word. The author and director previously worked on the film Hotarubi no Mori e, so you should see this first then try Natsume Yuujinchou.

Basically you got a great feels series right there, which just hit it's 5th season, also a redeemer type character, but it's not constantly slamming you with sads.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/10408/Hotarubi_no_Mori_e
https://myanimelist.net/anime/4081/Natsume_Yuujinchou
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:28:46 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29901 on: February 01, 2017, 04:28:08 am »

Wow, that is a lot of episodes under its belt! I'll definitely check it out!

I just love redeemers they are some of my favorite. Especially since I always had a lot of sympathy for both villains, the flawed, and the broken... who are often treated rather harshly.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:30:03 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29902 on: February 01, 2017, 04:49:15 am »

BTW I told a fib. Natsume is getting a sixth season. So it's one of those nice little animes that's actually mega-successful for it's genre, that somehow completely goes under the radar as far as the Western fandom goes.

So it's a "classier" slice of life show that's managed to be picked up for renewal 5 times now. Which beats all those "stereotypical" animes easily. Basically most people in the western fandom have a warped idea if which shows are actually well-known and successful in Japan.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:53:26 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29903 on: February 01, 2017, 05:35:41 am »

Let me see... Doremon would be about the most well known anime in Japan I THINK.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29904 on: February 01, 2017, 05:49:10 am »

Yeah, there are a few that would really be household names even for obasans. Sazae-san is one, it's been continuously on the air since 1969. IDK, but I guess the closest analogy would be something like "Peanuts" in the west, which is a series so old people all know it but nobody really thinks about it. In fact "Crayon Shin-chan" polls higher than Doraemon as something Japanese people like to watch a lot. At least Western people have some inkling that Doraemon is a thing, but hardly anyone twigs to Crayon Shin-chan.

But seriously, even for modern ones there are those ones I've mentioned recently that ran for quite a few seasons worth of material, but apparently don't even rate a passing mention in the west compared to "one-off" type series which were hyped then disappeared just as quickly. As well as the two I mentioned recently, Hidamari Sketch and Natsume Yuujinchou, Working is another good one that's gotten a pretty good run compared to how little known it is in the West. It got three seasons, an OVA and now has a web series.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:02:20 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29905 on: February 01, 2017, 05:58:29 am »

Well you can play this game in the west too.

The two most popular shows right now are probably... something like... Sponge Bob Squarepants and Fairly Odd Parents...

Actually that might be a bit out of touch... That miiight not be so accurate right now

Though Steven Universe is praised, it isn't as popular as Uncle Grandpa and uhhh... Dang I forgot another show... Ohh yes Teen Titans Go (apparently O_o)

This is because internet popularity and "actual popularity" are different.

---

Also apperantly "Shin-Chan" is also popular or something? My research found it as the #4 most popular kids show world wide... But GOODNESS are there some surprising ones (Note: Some shows though VERY unpopular in its native country... seem to get a lot of attention elsewhere)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:02:28 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29906 on: February 01, 2017, 04:50:23 pm »

Shin-chan the anime has been going continuously since 1992, it's also on a Friday at 7:30pm, so it's in prime time, and it's already gone for 900 * 20 minutes episodes. I guess the closest analogue would be The Simpsons or something, because Shin-Chan is definitely not a straight kids show. Shin-Chan is a little freak basically, who moons people and is known for his "Mr Elephant Dance" routine. Which I cannot link here due to forum rules. Compare that to One Piece - 930am on a Sunday. And you just know the whole dynamic of how people are actually consuming both shows is completely different.

~~~

BTW, I hear Fate: Grand Order on mobile is now surpassing Pokemon Go in sales.
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MotoiOkamoto/20170127/290254/Sonys_FateGrand_Order_is_a_brilliant_fusion_of_JRPG_and_visual_novel.php

BTW here's a very flawed synopsis of Fate from the American press:
http://www.pressherald.com/2016/12/05/fategrand-order-topping-pokemon-go/
The game, based on the anime TV series “Fate,” allows players to travel back in time and team up with historical figures like Julius Caesar, Leonardo da Vinci and Joan of Arc to rescue humanity from looming disaster.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 05:33:13 pm by Reelya »

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29907 on: February 01, 2017, 09:07:53 pm »

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/12/05/fategrand-order-topping-pokemon-go/
The game, based on the anime TV series “Fate,” allows players to travel back in time and team up with historical figures like Julius Caesar, Leonardo da Vinci and Joan of Arc to rescue humanity from looming disaster.
filthy secondaries

Is the phrase "multimedia franchise" really so foreign to them?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29908 on: February 02, 2017, 02:09:31 am »

A couple months ago, I wouldn't have known who the audience for an anime about lesbian moms might be. It turns out it's me.

The dragon thing seems like it's no longer relevant after the first episode.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29909 on: February 02, 2017, 03:14:34 am »

I know that is a response to something but taken as a non-sequitur it is delightful so I will not look for the prior post for explanation.
Pages: 1 ... 1992 1993 [1994] 1995 1996 ... 2193