Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1991 1992 [1993] 1994 1995 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3074750 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29880 on: January 29, 2017, 02:37:12 am »

I am going to guess that one big reason why sports mangas more often then not do not make it into animes or even anime movies OR EVEN live action movies... no matter how popular they are.

Is because Sports is probably one of the more expensive anime types to produce.

Think about why Tennis was so perfect for them? It is literally a act and react game style type. It allows them to cut corners and save money. You can especially see that in Prince of Tennis as some matches devolve into some sort of abstract art painting where you have NO idea who is winning or losing.

That and Animes are more focused now on advertising mangas then they are on adapting mangas (apparently... I still think it is stupid, especially when the anime is popular). I mean I know Dragon Ball wasn't meant to continue past the first season (and I think DBZ might have also), but that was cautious optimism...

Sorry I am still a bit pissed about one of my favorite animes and being told "No they wont continue it because it is just there to advertise the manga"... Dang it Start from Zero! Even No Game No Life is getting a second (or is it third?) season! and that anime is meant to be bad (a sort of stylish suck)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:39:48 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29881 on: January 29, 2017, 02:47:03 am »

Actually there are a lot more baseball animes than tennis animes. Because baseball has a lot of people standing around waiting for things.

https://myanimelist.net/featured/1538/Top_5_Best_Tennis_Anime_of_All_Time
In "top 5 tennis animes", two of them are from gag mangas that aren't really about Tennis at all - the "cute girls x Tennis" shows Softenni and Teekyuu. And the "honorable mention" goes to a tennis manga that didn't get adapted. So you have ... 3 serious tennis animes since the 1980s.

Meanwhile the "top baseball animes" has 24 in it, plus i can think of some they missed or have come out since this list was created, such as Battery.
https://myanimelist.net/featured/1557/Top_24_Best_Baseball_Anime_of_All_Time_

And it's not just baseball. Here's a list of the top 14 basketball animes:
https://myanimelist.net/featured/1527/Top_14_Best_Basketball_Anime_and_Manga_of_All_Time

And a list of 18 about soccer:
https://myanimelist.net/featured/1546/Top_18_Best_Soccer_Football_Anime_and_Manga

And the top 10 boxing anime and manga (8 are animes)
https://myanimelist.net/featured/1615/Top_10_Best_Boxing_Anime_and_Manga_of_All_Time

And then you have cycling.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/18179/Yowamushi_Pedal
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2112/Over_Drive
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1209/Nasu__Andalusia_no_Natsu
https://myanimelist.net/anime/31422/Minami_Kamakura_Koukou_Joshi_Jitensha-bu
https://myanimelist.net/anime/30652/Long_Riders

Three of these cylcing shows are airing in the current season. That's almost as many cycling-themed animes on TV right now as the total number of Tennis-themed animes ever created.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 03:05:55 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29882 on: January 29, 2017, 03:04:05 am »

Helps that Baseball is the most popular sport in Japan.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29883 on: January 29, 2017, 03:06:23 am »

Well I looked more things up, and edited them in. It turns out there are basically more of every other sport than tennis animes. I mean, there are three about cycling airing at the moment, as well as one about Rugby. So four running ATM this season. Last season it was ice skating, men's volleyball, rugby, cycling, tennis (well the 2 minute teekyu is only nominally about tennis) ,soccer, so six running during last season.

I don't think you've really look into this much. "New prince of Tennis" was 5 years ago, and there are something like 5 sports animes a season, so 20 seasons-worth per year. Since NPOT came out there have been something like 100 seasons of other sports animes.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 03:32:13 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29884 on: January 29, 2017, 03:23:00 am »

Cycling is helped by the fact that its forerunner was a childrens hobby anime that was oddly popular... (As in it advertised bikes so kids would buy them)

That anime was also disappointing... How can you have a bike race against a super powered magical vampire and have it be so tame?

On what do you base the statement that sports mangas don't get adapted?

I'll pass, you can be quite harassful :P

So you have ... 3 serious tennis animes since the 1980s.

Well there was Prince of Tennis. Aim for the Ace... That "I am a genius at books and thus I am good at Tennis" one.

Yeah those are all I know off the top of my head. Then again I only knew of two basketball animes of any determinate length.

And given that list of Basketball animes list one that is literally two episodes long, and another the basketball is more of a prelude to the actual subject.

---
---

Huh I wonder why the Tennis ones were a LOT more noticeable... Then again the three I know of were all trying to be long runners (Aim for the Ace failed, and they even tried to revive that anime)

With Boxing me only being aware of three long runners. Basketball two. Soccer two.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 03:30:04 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29885 on: January 29, 2017, 03:34:33 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_anime_series_by_episode_count
Major is the second longest sport's anime at 154 episodes.
Diamond no Ace went for 125 episodes.
Slam Dunk, 101 episodes.
Kuroko's Basketball, 75.

Yowamushi Pedal "New Generation" and the Volleyball one are both at 50 now. But I'm only caught up to ~39 or so with those.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 03:44:22 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29886 on: January 29, 2017, 03:41:47 am »

I figured Volleyball would be in one of them.

Guess money doesn't factor.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29887 on: January 29, 2017, 03:47:34 am »

You forgot about "Baby Steps" the tennis anime, btw.

And given that list of Basketball animes list one that is literally two episodes long, and another the basketball is more of a prelude to the actual subject.

Well one of the tennis animes has 2 minute episodes, 8 seasons, so that equals 8 normal episodes worth. But the "two episode" Basketball anime most likely has two 45 minute episodes, so Teekyuu is only twice as long as that, but is still counted as one of the 5 or so tennis animes ever made. Maybe tennis is more prevalent because of just "Prince of Tennis" being an older series. Tennis really doesn't rack up the screen minutes overall.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 03:53:30 am by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29888 on: January 29, 2017, 07:26:17 am »

Well, after looking at a couple more explanations of genres in anime and such I blame my own general ignorance of all sorts of literature and artforms. I mean, you give me a Jeopardy! board and I'm going to run through it like gangbusters, and then I hit 18th century playwrights or 19th century literature and I'm like "Chaucer... is Chaucer one?" so yeah, Grimgar fits character drama better than fantasy slice of life.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29889 on: January 29, 2017, 01:44:32 pm »

today's iron blooded orphans episode spoilers

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29890 on: January 29, 2017, 01:53:17 pm »

Bastards aren't pulling any punches that's for sure, last two eps were fucking gutwrenching.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #29891 on: January 30, 2017, 01:08:55 am »

FINALLY finished the Ashita no Joe manga. I've known about its ending, its twists, and surprises for a while now, and I still got super invested and sad. I'm just really the sort of person who doesn't get bothered by spoiling stuff for myself in advance.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29892 on: January 30, 2017, 08:34:50 am »

Finished part six of Jojo, Stone Ocean. It...also...certainly has an ending.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29893 on: February 01, 2017, 02:57:35 am »

Just so you guys have an idea of how weird I am... Here is the description of an anime that has enticed me to watch the first episode:

After two years of studying within the Reiken clan, Ouriku and other inexperienced disciples are ordered to descend to the temporal world for further studies, and Ouriku embarks the journey back to his birthplace

Wait so... Some sort of magical disciple who may or may not be gods... spent two years in a "Intemporal" world and then went to a temporal one? Wait how? I know that is earth but... I must know! DANG IT ANIME!

Edit: I am an idiot... It isn't that there is no TIME in whatever they are... It is that things do not age, they do not feel the effects of time. (no I didn't get that explanation from the show, I just thought of it now)

Reikenzan: Hoshikuzu-tachi no Utage (Edit: second season apperantly... Opps!... though this feels like a first episode)

-3 minutes in: Wow, this is a lot less interesting then I thought. I was expecting something a bit, soul searching... maybe comedy. Yet goodness the opening makes it look like action.
-5 minutes in: Ok ok, its picking up. Obviously something gone wrong but no one will fill in our hero. I like the atmosphere.
-6 minutes in: OHH translations! "No one has seen a hermit in years", how I'd love to take you out of context.
-10 minutes in: UGH! The villagers are idiots! It is this plot again... Come on Master Cooking Boy did this plot... Except Master Cooking Boy is amazing.
-12 minutes in: Man this show's social fu is weak. Come on show try harder! A love I have of these types of shows is just how character maneuver around each other with their words.
-16 minutes in: Wait what? Wait... Did you say "these fools don't know everything is fake" outloud so the guy who does believe in you can hear? Soliloquys can be hard to identify.
-17 minutes in: "Sometimes there has to be blood", well it isn't like you tried very hard... For a smart guy you're not very smart.
-21 minutes in: and thus the day was saved because the hero was never in any danger and he just tanked the villains and murdered them. I know the actual purpose was to show what our hero can do, but I was hoping for a bit less of a "Ohh no mild resistance! Time to kill!" solution.

Ok overall there is a certain style to this anime that I rarely see and that is appealing. The big issue is that our hero is meant to be, basically, a super philosopher and sage at such a level that he basically has super powers... But other than having super powers I really don't see it. I know the villain MAYBE needed to be killed and there was no way around it but I expected more guile and tact then taking out your sword, walking slowly up to him, then going to cut him down in front of everyone and only stopping because someone was like "Hey, maybe murdering a bunch of people in front of the entire village is a bad idea".

Edit: Wait... So... our hero progressed and grown and THIS is what he became? Uhhh... I seriously thought this was a first episode.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:48:09 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29894 on: February 01, 2017, 03:53:07 am »

Just so you guys have an idea of how weird I am... Here is the description of an anime that has enticed me to watch the first episode:

After two years of studying within the Reiken clan, Ouriku and other inexperienced disciples are ordered to descend to the temporal world for further studies, and Ouriku embarks the journey back to his birthplace

Wait so... Some sort of magical disciple who may or may not be gods... spent two years in a "Intemporal" world and then went to a temporal one? Wait how? I know that is earth but... I must know! DANG IT ANIME!

Edit: I am an idiot... It isn't that there is no TIME in whatever they are... It is that things do not age, they do not feel the effects of time. (no I didn't get that explanation from the show, I just thought of it now)

Google "temporal".
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/temporal

Relating to worldly as opposed to spiritual affairs; secular:
‘the Church did not imitate the secular rulers who thought only of temporal gain’

As well as "temporal gain" Christian have a phrase "temporal loss, eternal gain"
http://biblehub.com/sermons/auth/nichol/temporal_loss_eternal_gain.htm

So the usage here is "temporal" in the sense of "mortal". "Intemporal" beings are therefore immortals. It turns up all the time in religious quotes, the bible etc, in this context.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:01:06 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1991 1992 [1993] 1994 1995 ... 2193