Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1960 1961 [1962] 1963 1964 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3070248 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29415 on: October 30, 2016, 02:04:19 pm »

No, it is. It's just the ideal vis a vis virtues and the practice are often farcically different things.
Hah, yeah.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29416 on: October 30, 2016, 02:05:43 pm »

Not really sure where you got the idea that loyalty isn't seen as a virtue in the states from...

Their typical egalitarian attitude and idea that loyalty is something that must be earned rather than something that you are intrinsically owed? It isn't a virtue it is a currency so to speak, a product.

Stoicism is also not a virtue in the USA... Well not anymore at least.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:12:11 pm by Neonivek »

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #29417 on: October 30, 2016, 02:07:20 pm »

Rewatching Fist of the North Star.  Somehow its better than I remember.  Well, this'll fill time until I get to reading Jojo part 6.

okay enough about egalitarian whatevers you guys are talking about.  this is anime thread for anime
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:13:46 pm by Cthulufaic »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29418 on: October 30, 2016, 02:12:24 pm »

Their typical egalitarian attitude and idea that loyalty is something that must be earned rather than something that you are intrinsically owed?
... okay? How do you get that loyalty isn't considered a virtue from that?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29419 on: October 30, 2016, 02:18:26 pm »

I mean where you apply it is different but it's not like people like being betrayed in the US. Similarly in Japan you maybe aren't meant to speak your mind as much as you would in other countries for politeness reasons, but that doesn't mean they like liars who deliberately mislead people.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29420 on: October 30, 2016, 02:21:51 pm »

okay enough about egalitarian whatevers you guys are talking about.  this is anime thread for anime

I like to get a better appreciation for what I am watching.

Especially since I've watched enough anime to see themes, concepts, ideals, and stuff pop up and some of which are counter to typical western ideals.

For example, and my favorite, is that the whole "Just be yourself" spiel? Japan actually does believe in suppressing yourself in order to fit in.

Individualist versus Collectivist philosophies bashing heads.

As well the USA, while not non-elitist, is much more Egalitarian then Japan...

So Elitism is a constant running theme.

Finally... and the most backwards from a western point of view and the one that makes me go "WOW Japan sucks!" every time... Is that Japan has a very "Keeping up appearances" attitude and if you break it you will suffer their wraith!

and while the USA doesn't... NOT have that... Your kid cannot be kicked out of school in the USA because they were in a fashion magazine. HECK Kids can't get kicked out of school for being Pregnant! (though I think they often leave school willingly because of the taboo)

It is the ONE thing for the life of me I want affirmation as to whether it is exaggerated for the sake of fiction... or if Japan really is a place where rumors really do control your life to that extent.

No really if anyone actually knows...

I mean where you apply it is different but it's not like people like being betrayed in the US. Similarly in Japan you maybe aren't meant to speak your mind as much as you would in other countries for politeness reasons, but that doesn't mean they like liars who deliberately mislead people.

It is the difference in how it is applied that I am trying to understand here.

But when I say "Is it a virtue?" I mean, is it a recognized virtue.

For example "Emptyness" or Stoicism... Not a virtue in the USA (Anymore, due to the whole express your emotions shift)... It doesn't mean the USA likes people who are hot heads who can't control their emotions.

Others are folded or split into other virtues.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:32:14 pm by Neonivek »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29421 on: October 30, 2016, 02:30:35 pm »

I see what you mean. Honesty in the sense of always expressing yourself and saying what's on your mind isn't encouraged in Japan.

I've actually really enjoyed Oregairu from the first few episodes I've watched, and that has main characters who are often brutally honest (and largely hated for it).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29422 on: October 30, 2016, 02:36:00 pm »

Liars game does a nice flip on a character who is supposed to be "Honest to a fault"

For some reason Honesty and Naiveté are side by side. If I were to translate it Id say she is "Naïve"... But the exact word was "Honest".

It is likely just, for lack of a better word, hanger-on-characteristics or a archtype so to speak.

----

I actually was completely lost in one scene of a mother beating her child almost to death because she got a tattoo. (this wasn't in Liars game)

I was informed that in Japan... Women are expected not to get tattoos and it can be seen as a form of self-mutilation.

It was sooooooooooo weird... and even now I am perplexed.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:57:33 pm by Neonivek »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29423 on: October 30, 2016, 03:13:10 pm »

Tattoos are strongly frowned on in Japan due to their association with the yakuza.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #29424 on: October 30, 2016, 03:13:48 pm »

^This. Getting tattoos in general is stigmatizing regardless of gender due to its historical connotations.
It's FEF, not FEOF

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29425 on: October 30, 2016, 03:17:45 pm »

In extreme (in relation to continuous axes) paradigms, any form of cutting or piercing, even the hair, would be a form of self-mutilation.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29426 on: October 30, 2016, 03:21:19 pm »

In extreme (in relation to continuous axes) paradigms, any form of cutting or piercing, even the hair, would be a form of self-mutilation.

That certainly explains why when a female character cuts her hair off she is symbolically cutting off her femininity.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29427 on: October 30, 2016, 04:38:46 pm »

Completely blowing off this whole conversation to repost the random Sweetness & Lightning .gif I made.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Which is a really cute anime people who like cute and cooking should watch.
The youngin' gets on my nerves a little, but I was rather impressed that they actually got a child VA for once, so it's acceptable.

Vinland Saga updated today, why does this not have a show yet? I remember reading Shingeki and OPM and saying "these need a show" and they got them and rocked, where is my Vinland Saga anime dammit?
They did Drifters instead.
As long as they keep Oda as Ridiculously Intimidating- I'm up for it.

gah, ninja'd by Max. It's true, he looked at best mildly interested during the Boros fight and when all was said and done he sure didn't look happy.
I'd say he looked pretty happy. Contended, almost.
That "tsuyoi na" was pretty cute.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29428 on: October 30, 2016, 04:41:29 pm »

Just watched drifters too...awesome shit.

Is it just me or are all the heroes sociopaths while all the antagonists are psychopaths?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29429 on: October 30, 2016, 04:55:52 pm »

Just watched drifters too...
*Perks up*

Sorry, this is not available in your region
*Perks the fuck back down again*
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 1960 1961 [1962] 1963 1964 ... 2193