Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1952 1953 [1954] 1955 1956 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3068180 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29295 on: October 12, 2016, 01:43:25 pm »

Macross II is probably a good fit for Robotech fans to go see as well, it's even dubbed in English, and the overall plotline actually gels better with Robotech than Macross in my opinion. It was made entirely by Tatsunoko (who are the Japanese publisher responsible for the Robotech deal), and is hated / retconned out of existence by the original Macross creators.
The mecha designs were crazy awesome too, loved the valkyries and sapp packs and stuff.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29296 on: October 12, 2016, 01:50:34 pm »

I remember something someone wrote comparing the three Robotech sections to Macross SDF / 7 / Frontier. Looked at closely, they're the exact same stories. A few spoilers, mainly if you haven't seen Frontier:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 09:37:44 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29297 on: October 12, 2016, 08:41:20 pm »

You know... I think "To Be a Hero" is the first time where I've seen the whole "Daughter ragging on her father for his lecherous ways" where my sympathy actually went with the father and feel like she is kiiiind of being a jerk.

Heck she kicks him during a date and tries to humiliate him with private info... only to hit him again when it doesn't embarrass him...

Like sorry your father isn't fat and ugly and can actually play the field...

Edit: YES the irony is on purpose

---

Ok I've so rarely seen a series hate its protagonist sooo much without it being a "Assworld" show or a Harem.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:53:11 pm by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #29298 on: October 13, 2016, 01:10:25 am »

Anime identification via opening quiz!

I only got 45 :(

Dredged this old thing up from the depths of the thread to see how my score has changed since then. Jumped up to a 63. Kinda neat to see.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 01:20:44 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29299 on: October 13, 2016, 01:58:13 am »

I thought Flip Flappers would be dumb because the art style and the magical lesbians and the, well, everything. And it kind of is. But it's also amazing. I think you need a lot of background in the arts and in philosophy to get all of it though. I'm catching some references but most I only see from other people's discussions on line, and I bet there's several that other people haven't found either.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 02:06:43 pm by Cruxador »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29300 on: October 13, 2016, 02:30:10 am »

I got 60 in the time limit.

But at least one wrong one was because the system didn't recognize the correct title.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 02:36:22 am by Reelya »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29301 on: October 13, 2016, 03:01:45 am »

I have to commend the way the guys who did the Bleach anime handled the colour of Getsuga Tenshou. As I'm aware the manga just made it plain black while the anime gave it a red tint. What I'm impressed by is two things.

First, in the battle with Byakuya where they charge at each other for one final attack, Ichigo says he's going to "put all his remaining pressure in one last attack" and the pressure we see going out of it isn't black with red tint, it's black with blue tint. A nice bit of foreshadowing to the Final Getsuga Tenshou that didn't appear in the manga.

Second is the Final Getsuga Tenshou itself. Every time we've seen Getsuga (bar the bit of aforementioned forshadowing) it's been red-tinted, but now during the transformation to his ultimate form it's blue-tinted, encapsulating the full grandeur of his new form. Then after the initial transformation the pressure has no tint, it's pure black, doing the same thing that the previous blue tint did and emphasising Ichigo's new... Power? Transcendence? Ascendance? Whatever it was, we know that it was inherently different and more than a simple power-up. This isn't something we get from the manga, this is something we only get from the anime, and it was very well done.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29302 on: October 13, 2016, 06:20:14 am »

Ok I have a question for Naruto Fans...

What exactly was the nature of Rock Lee's injury that made it so life threatening to operate?

To my knowledge it was just a crushed ankle or something... which usually means you have to rebreak it and then resettle.

As well Naruto's medical level is higher than ours (they even have pills that instantly replenish your blood supply >_>)

Was it actually a more serious injury? Is it a vague undefined injury? Or is this procedure such mumbo jumbo (like redirecting all his Chakra into one point) that it is actually life threatening?

---

Though say what you will... The entire "Rock Lee is injured" saga was actually REALLY well handled... in fact more so that most of what happened on the show.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:21:56 am by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29303 on: October 13, 2016, 06:43:26 am »

His leg did get messed up (iirc it was less ankle and more "everything"), but from what I understand of what little the material said of the subject, most of the problem was the damage he did to himself, via opening the gates. Sandy may have wrecked his leg but Lee was going to end up in the hospital even if he won, basically.

There's kinda' a reason people flipped a little when lee started opening those things. None of them are good for you, and the further up you go, the worse it gets once it wears off. And lee's both young (i.e. even beyond base physical development, his levels in ninja wizard are still pretty low) and has a chakra defect that probably makes the consequences even worse.

E: And that, yes.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:45:02 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29304 on: October 13, 2016, 06:43:38 am »

IIRC he had bone fragments from his vertebrae embedded in his spinal cord. Assuming you're talking about after Gaara played with him.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29305 on: October 13, 2016, 06:47:01 am »

IIRC he had bone fragments from his vertebrae embedded in his spinal cord. Assuming you're talking about after Gaara played with him.

YIKES that would do it!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29306 on: October 13, 2016, 10:54:05 am »

From the Chuunin exam vs Gaara?  Opening em gates basically does bodily harm in exchange for power.

Shit, been years since I've last watched Naruto, I still remember at least this much.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29307 on: October 13, 2016, 10:56:11 am »

From the Chuunin exam vs Gaara?  Opening em gates basically does bodily harm in exchange for power.

Shit, been years since I've last watched Naruto, I still remember at least this much.

It wasn't the gates itself that did it... at least not on their own anyhow.

Especially if you understand how the gates work exactly.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29308 on: October 13, 2016, 12:28:12 pm »

Yeah, it was a combination of things. The Gates fucked him up but he would have probably gotten better on his own if Gaara hadn't crushed like half the bones in his body and he hadn't then proceeded to try to keep up a heavy training regimen pretty much as soon as he woke up.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29309 on: October 13, 2016, 06:12:15 pm »

Yeah, it was a combination of things. The Gates fucked him up but he would have probably gotten better on his own if Gaara hadn't crushed like half the bones in his body and he hadn't then proceeded to try to keep up a heavy training regimen pretty much as soon as he woke up.

Goodness... You know... Even though you are probably right I cannot bring myself to trust you on the last one. That training was the enemy somehow, in an anime.

That anyone could "train too hard" in an anime :P
Pages: 1 ... 1952 1953 [1954] 1955 1956 ... 2193