Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1946 1947 [1948] 1949 1950 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3068188 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29205 on: October 03, 2016, 04:37:49 pm »

I heard that hxh is supposed to be a good show, is it some kind of giant in joke?
I like it.

All the characters are one dimensional, the plot makes no sense and actively contradicts itself, the writing intentionally works against having any kind of suspense and then there's the extremely slow pace,
Slow paced compared to other battle shounens that span hundreds of episodes?

im watching it at 1.5x speed 24 episodes in and it still feels slow. Does it get good later or something?
im watching it at 1.5x speed 24 episodes in and it still feels slow.
im watching it at 1.5x speed
im

triggered

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29206 on: October 03, 2016, 04:42:19 pm »

Me too, not watching it at 2x speed? Ridiculous!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29207 on: October 03, 2016, 04:43:30 pm »

I'm kinda curious right now whether people don't actually know what Shojo is, or you guys haven't seen enough to be able to tell whether something is shojo or not? "Has girls in it" is not the definition.
A lot of people, guys in particular, who are familiar with anime and manga in general really don't have much of a background in shoujo at all. Personally, I haven't watched a single show and what little I've read has not been romance-oriented or really very representative in general, mostly because I base my readings off of recommendations and hype in generally male-populated communities. Although there's nothing stopping a person from reading or watching stuff that they aren't the target audience for, things tend to line up pretty well in practice. If you have recommendations for shoujo that deserve to be more widely appreciated, that might be worth considering, but it's just an area that many demographics lack an inherent interest in. On the other hand, all demographics have an interest in asserting their opinions.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29208 on: October 03, 2016, 05:03:02 pm »

Sailor Moon?

The shows like Madoka and Nanoha are kinda, erm... straddling the line, but mahoshojo is kinda hinting at it.

"Zodd, put down that wand, what are you doing?"
'MA-HO-SHO-JO BASAKA!'

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29209 on: October 03, 2016, 06:35:21 pm »

Nanoha is a mil-SF drama that disguised itself as a monster-of-the-week show for half of the first season. There's a pretty good argument to be made that it's seinen, and I can't really justify lumping it into any other grouping over that. Certainly not shoujo given that it barely touches on romance at all, the strongest elements of that are the implications that Nanoha and Fate are an item in StrikerS. And that male characters barely exist and are usually shoved on a bus after a season or so.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29210 on: October 03, 2016, 06:46:31 pm »

I'm kinda curious right now whether people don't actually know what Shojo is, or you guys haven't seen enough to be able to tell whether something is shojo or not? "Has girls in it" is not the definition.

The only shojo serieses I've seen had extensive melodrama in it, so that's usually my barometer (Myself; Yourself and Say 'I love you' being those two series).

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not even sure those are shojo. Everything I knew is a lie.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29211 on: October 03, 2016, 06:51:54 pm »

Speaking of mil-SF drama centered around women, did y'all check out the one about Tyrolean lesbians fighting the nazis with magic and chutzpah? I'm not yet convinced it won't turn out to be boring, but anyway I'm giving it a shot. It has a kind of a James Bond feel to it so far.

I'm speaking, of course, of Shuumatsu no Izetta.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29212 on: October 03, 2016, 07:06:14 pm »

I was gonna say, sounds kinda like The Nightmare Stacks elevator pitch.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29213 on: October 03, 2016, 07:56:53 pm »

I heard that hxh is supposed to be a good show, is it some kind of giant in joke? All the characters are one dimensional, the plot makes no sense and actively contradicts itself, the writing intentionally works against having any kind of suspense and then there's the extremely slow pace, im watching it at 1.5x speed 24 episodes in and it still feels slow. Does it get good later or something?

So far i'd rank naruto and one piece way ahead of this and i don't rate either of those very highly.

mwah, hxh has an arc that is genuinely very good somewhere around episode 40(?) or so.

But after that awesome arc there is an extremely meh arc and after that meh arc is an arc that is just plain silly.

These are the arcs:

Hunter exam <- actually pretty watchable
arena <- rather uninspired
underground auction <- awesomesauce
Greed Island <- Hunter art Online
bugs <- starship hunters

But I found it way more watchable than One Piece and I quit Naruto after 1 episode because I couldn't stand the main character.

You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29214 on: October 03, 2016, 10:23:31 pm »

Nanoha is a mil-SF drama that disguised itself as a monster-of-the-week show for half of the first season. There's a pretty good argument to be made that it's seinen, and I can't really justify lumping it into any other grouping over that. Certainly not shoujo given that it barely touches on romance at all, the strongest elements of that are the implications that Nanoha and Fate are an item in StrikerS. And that male characters barely exist and are usually shoved on a bus after a season or so.
Indeed, by the only criteria that matters (publishing magazine for the manga), it's seinen. 

We were talking about love triangles, and I said they code them differently whether it's in shoujo or shonen (the genders and tropes are almost always inverted).

that isn't implying all shojo or shonen for that matter have love triangles.
Alright, I think I have enough time to at least untangle this now that I'm off work.  Would you like to know why I thought you were implying that?  Step 1: take a look at the time of my post where I am puzzled if you are "conflating something".  Step 2: Take a look at the time of your last edit to the immediately prior post.  I thought you were implying all shoujo had love triangles because your original post, before you made the first of two edits in rapid succession, specified shoujo anime instead of harem anime, hence my confusion that you were conflating shoujo and all anime with a romance with one or more rivals.  If nothing else, at least I learned, for what must at least be the dozenth time, to always quote what I'm replying to.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 10:25:02 pm by Culise »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29215 on: October 03, 2016, 10:38:39 pm »

This is not an anime, but a) it should be because b) it's awesome.

I apologize for any impending timesinkage/offtopicness.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29216 on: October 03, 2016, 10:44:56 pm »

The only shojo serieses I've seen had extensive melodrama in it, so that's usually my barometer (Myself; Yourself and Say 'I love you' being those two series).

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not even sure those are shojo. Everything I knew is a lie.

This is one of those cases where just reading wikipedia should help. Wikipedia: shojo manga

Western fans classify a wide variety of titles as shōjo, even though their Japanese creators label them differently. Anything non-offensive and featuring female characters may classify as shōjo manga; including the shōnen comedy Azumanga Daioh. Similarly, as romance has become a common element of many shōjo works, any title with romance, such as the shōnen Love Hina or the seinen Oh My Goddess! tend to get mislabeled.

This confusion also extends beyond the fan community; articles aimed at the mainstream also widely misrepresent the terms. In an introduction to anime and manga, British writer Jon Courtenay Grimwood writes: "Maison Ikkoku comes from Rumiko Takahashi, one of the best-known of all 'shôjo' writers. Imagine a very Japanese equivalent of Sweet Valley High or Melrose Place. It has Takahashi's usual and highly successful mix of teenagers and romance, with darker clouds of adolescence hovering." Takahashi is a famous shōnen manga artist, but Maison Ikkoku, one of her few seinen titles and serialised in Big Comic Spirits, is aimed at males in their 20s.

Matt Thorn, who has made a career out of studying girls' comics, attempts to clarify the matter by explaining that "shôjo manga are manga published in shôjo magazines (as defined by their publishers)".

"Say I Love You" was published in a shojo magazine. And that's the entire criteria for being Shojo according to the Japanese.

Myself;Yourself was a visual novel / dating sim for the Playstation 2. You could play one of two guys and date any of six girls. It was then published as a novel, serialized in a magazine aimed at male video game players.

So, one is shojo, one is not according to the specific criteria used in Japan. We can break how one series is targeted at girls and how the other is targeted at guys, but those are secondary to how the Japanese actual define the classification system. i.e. if you wrote a series called "Demon Skullfuckers of Hades" about demons who literally kill you and fuck your skull while Iron Maiden music blasts in the background, it would be shojo if you somehow convinced a shojo magazine to run that.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 10:53:51 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29217 on: October 03, 2016, 10:46:31 pm »

Goodness that ending for Wixoss is confusing O_o

Though it seemed like it was confusing on purpose O_o (Doesn't help that it has 4 characters who look exactly alike)

I admit I never seen a "clip show" movie (outside... maybe Hetalia Paint it White)

I have to say, I am not sure how I'd rate the movie if you didn't already watch the show. Given that it kind of REALLY skips quite a few very important details that are still important in the movie O_o...

I honestly thought, at first, it was going to fill in extra details that you might not have known but not REALLY (Honestly one very minor subplot and two extra scenes)...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29218 on: October 03, 2016, 10:53:03 pm »

Indeed, by the only criteria that matters (publishing magazine for the manga), it's seinen. 
There is no such thing as a Nanoha manga and anyone who says differently is a heretic. :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #29219 on: October 03, 2016, 11:21:04 pm »

Your original post before your first edit; it looks like you made subsequent edits after that as well.  I shall just drop the matter; we're plainly both arguing past each other by responding to outdated posts, and that's frankly not worth my time.

EDIT:
Oh, it's also that you don't even seem to know what I'm saying given your last edit to that particular post, either, which is another demerit against debating the matter.
No please, continue. And expand to other debate topics. This is oddly fascinating to watch.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 1946 1947 [1948] 1949 1950 ... 2193