Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1909 1910 [1911] 1912 1913 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3072043 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28650 on: August 23, 2016, 10:53:44 am »

which would really make the protags seem like the bad guys in this situation if the plot wasn't so contrived as to twist it to make the Zanpakutos into the mindlessly aggressive enemy.

It sounds like it would make more sense if you think of the show as a propaganda film written by the winners of the in-universe conflicts. Would help explain the hopelessly OP protags too...hmm...
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28651 on: August 23, 2016, 11:41:40 am »

Best use of Kanji will always be in Mr. Depression.
Such a charming story about one man desperately trying to make himself taller.
And the girl who insists on helping him.

Sadly the second season... never happened.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28652 on: August 23, 2016, 12:23:48 pm »

Best use of Kanji will always be in Mr. Depression.

Link? Googling just leads to a bunch of depressing non-animu/mango.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28653 on: August 23, 2016, 12:33:02 pm »

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. But you could easily have found that by merely googling "Mr. Depression anime". You need to improve your google-fu.

The joke is that his name means something different if written horizontally or vertically (it means despair if read one way, which he strongly dislikes, although it completely fits his character to be in despair about everything, so his name is no exception).

BTW avoid reading any character bios on wikipedia, since they give away the big plot twist at the end of the manga in one of the character's biography. There's a pretty huge plot twist at the end which changes the meaning of virtually everything from the very start of the story. Spoiled myself by accident by reading the bio of what I thought was a minor character.

Sadly the second season... never happened.
Hmm? I have that on hold. I'm interpreting this as you saying the 2nd season+ aren't any good ... but they're all part of the same manga adaptation so I'd be surprised if there's any difference.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 12:48:14 pm by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28654 on: August 23, 2016, 03:01:33 pm »

Zetsubou Sensei also has a brother who is a doctor, unfortunately his name can easily be read as "Dr. Death" so he's comically unpopular.

Speaking of doctors, I finally decided to go back and finish up Young Blackjack. It's an anime that emulates the soap opera feel so well, it makes it extremely interesting and digestible.

I may need to just go ahead and put Bleach back down, watching the show is like eating cold grease. Hard to choke down, monotone in flavor, and not even any good for you.

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28655 on: August 23, 2016, 03:08:25 pm »

Caught up with Vinland Saga, I don't what to read (manga_format) now...

Meanwhile, loving Mushishi, helping me a lot with stress relief after work. I'm 20/26 in progress, I wonder if I'm going to know more about Ginko's life.
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #28656 on: August 24, 2016, 12:50:37 am »

Marathon'd all 12 eps of Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers, awesome animu. Knew who the fake was before they even got to that part though cuz Opening/end credits spoil that if you know what to look for.

Spoiler: manga spoiler (click to show/hide)
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28657 on: August 24, 2016, 02:29:34 am »

The joke is that his name means something different if written horizontally or vertically (it means despair if read one way, which he strongly dislikes, although it completely fits his character to be in despair about everything, so his name is no exception).

They also tried adding stars, making an even worse phrase.

Though there seem to be two big jokes about the show
1) He doesn't have anything to be depressed about, in fact that seems to be the main source of his depression.
2) He fixes problems by making them even worse, but in such a way that people believe it to be fixed.

---

Ohhh my gawd! The Serving Station in Mob Psycho is thematic!

Man I wish I knew the puns... dang Salt and Vinegar school!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 02:40:51 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28658 on: August 24, 2016, 09:03:08 pm »

I was watching New Game today and thinking that sometimes a show that's about nothing is better than one that shoehorns a topic in badly. Then we got to a line that some 3D game characters are made in more detail than others "because there are only so many pixels you can use on the screen, so we adjust the character density based on importance".

Obviously that makes no sense unless you change pixel to polygon. This could be either an extremely terrible official translation, or they could have actually mixed up polygons and pixels -_-
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 09:06:35 pm by Reelya »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28659 on: August 25, 2016, 01:03:38 am »

When real technology is discussed in fiction, the most important details will be forgotten first. Double that for anime, and triple that for bad anime. You get moments like in Sword Art Online where Kirito says he's studying "mechatronics", which is a stupid sounding made-up word they didn't even need because they could have just said "AI" or something.

I still have a gif of some CSI show where they stop a hacker by having two people type on the same keyboard.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #28660 on: August 25, 2016, 01:16:55 am »

Well often time the real world counter part, isnt very entertaining. Its filled with mostly tedium. Even super cool hacking. Though I hear, that Mr. Robot gets it mostly right and is entertaining. But it does lack Storm giving Wolverine a blowjob.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28661 on: August 25, 2016, 04:00:08 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechatronics

It's an actual course offered by major universities:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mechanical-engineering/2-737-mechatronics-fall-2014/

It was coined in Japan btw, but later spread worldwide, to the point that MIT offers an Engineering degree with a Mechatronics major.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 04:08:58 am by Reelya »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28662 on: August 25, 2016, 04:42:54 am »

I still have a gif of some CSI show where they stop a hacker by having two people type on the same keyboard.
I believe you're thinking of NCIS. Abby and Probie are the two people on the same keyboard.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28663 on: August 25, 2016, 04:08:35 pm »

I wrote a GUI interface using Visual Basic that tracks what show those memes come from.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28664 on: August 25, 2016, 04:30:41 pm »

Well played.
Pages: 1 ... 1909 1910 [1911] 1912 1913 ... 2193