Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1908 1909 [1910] 1911 1912 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3071559 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28635 on: August 22, 2016, 04:17:12 am »

Nah they found out in 2002.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28636 on: August 22, 2016, 10:09:18 pm »

Turns out there was a filler arc in Bleach that I completely missed out on, about the Zanpakutos becoming human and then they have a showdown with their former masters. It's something I've thought of myself, back when I actively watched Bleach, cause it just seemed obvious to give the things that have names and loose sentience more characterization, but JESUS is the arc just boring. Moreover, the show has seemingly skipped over the obvious moral dilemma that now that the Zanpakuto people are their own separate entities with their own feelings and agency, and go straight to "Naw let's just go fight them against their owners and then re-enslave them before the next arc kicks back up" which would really make the protags seem like the bad guys in this situation if the plot wasn't so contrived as to twist it to make the Zanpakutos into the mindlessly aggressive enemy.

For how much money it takes to create an episode of anime, I have to wonder why the studios bother with filler at all. Even if it's good filler, the fact that the definition of filler is that it'll have no lasting impact on the story at large badly damages the audience's enjoyment if they know that nothing that's happening will matter at all.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28637 on: August 22, 2016, 10:47:22 pm »

Well, several of the sword spirits DID appear later on and have some effect on the main story, just not the filler arc and such itself.

Though I just realized, Yachiru had her own shikai which involved two companionbeastspirit things, right?

Given what wound up happening with her and Kenny... how exactly did that all work?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28638 on: August 23, 2016, 12:09:04 am »

Zanpakuto aren't really their own being tho', they are created from the very soul of their wielder  (in typical 'my blade is my soul' samurai epic fashion.)  They are reflections of their wielders, amplified significantly, the previous point was my biggest gripe with that arc personally.

As for Yachiru, just accept it as part of Ken's idiotic OP, he's so powerful his souls' soul has a soul.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28639 on: August 23, 2016, 12:16:07 am »

Does the sword or the sword spirit come first?  Question of the ages. 

Ken is just a monster, probably on the levels of Aizen.  In a different way at the least.

Oh right, there was the sword crafting guy in the last arc too.  Already forgot what he does.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28640 on: August 23, 2016, 12:26:28 am »

He fights like a boss and dies stupidly, I mean seriously, chucking your sword right into a dudes head and then jumping on to them to get it back? Awesome.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28641 on: August 23, 2016, 03:48:13 am »

Why is Yachiru a soul in a soul in a soul? What do strawberries have anything to do with Bleach?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28642 on: August 23, 2016, 07:07:48 am »

Ichigo means strawberry?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #28643 on: August 23, 2016, 08:18:55 am »

Ichigo means strawberry?
It can.  I couldn't tell you how the name of the Bleach character is written, though, so I don't know if that's actually the kanji they use.  That said, given that anime has included such wonderful names as Light (which doesn't make quite as much sense in English as, say, Hikaru, Lucius, or the like) or, indeed, Bleach itself, it wouldn't surprise me to find it's only ever written in kana with a wink and a nod.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28644 on: August 23, 2016, 08:26:46 am »

Ichigo means strawberry?
It can.  I couldn't tell you how the name of the Bleach character is written, though, so I don't know if that's actually the kanji they use.  That said, given that anime has included such wonderful names as Light (which doesn't make quite as much sense in English as, say, Hikaru, Lucius, or the like) or, indeed, Bleach itself, it wouldn't surprise me to find it's only ever written in kana with a wink and a nod.

Ichigo is also a pun (referencing how stupid Ichigo is)... AND it is a reference to his hair.

As for the Kanji they use... as far as anime is concerned :P don't even bother. All ways to write that name count :P

And sometimes they will try to sneak out of it by saying it is a nickname like... Usagi I believe. (or that was her name... hmmm)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #28645 on: August 23, 2016, 08:42:00 am »

Pretty sure ichigo says it specifically means something like "protector"... pretty early in the series. At least repudiated the strawberry thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28646 on: August 23, 2016, 08:46:40 am »

Pretty sure ichigo says it specifically means something like "protector"... pretty early in the series. At least repudiated the strawberry thing.

Well that explains certain characters having that name.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28647 on: August 23, 2016, 08:54:09 am »

Different kanji, same sound

苺 = ichigo, strawberry

一護, ichigo (from Bleach). Note that it's made up of the kanji "ichi" (one) and "mamoru" (protect), but pronounced "Ichigo" which is literally 1-5, and he appears to be 15 at the start of the story. Since I have no interest in getting into Bleach I can only guess whether those numbers have any more relevance.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28648 on: August 23, 2016, 08:59:20 am »

Best use of Kanji will always be in Mr. Depression.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28649 on: August 23, 2016, 09:31:21 am »

Best use of Kanji will always be in Mr. Depression.
Such a charming story about one man desperately trying to make himself taller.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 1908 1909 [1910] 1911 1912 ... 2193