Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1891 1892 [1893] 1894 1895 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3068037 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28380 on: August 03, 2016, 06:56:21 am »

My pet peeve are intro and ending songs that have no subs whatsoever. Like, whoever's translating will do everything else: all speech including barely audible conversations by side characters in the background, will artfully transpose English over all onscreen Japanese text, including store signs and graffiti, whenever there's dramatic climax music they'll do extra specially font with maybe even appearing or coloring in time with the music, they'll even add in little translator's notes for all the Japanesey crap that us Amerikanji's just wouldn't innately understand, like puns... but for the intro and ending songs? Nah...

The worst case probably has to be Stella Glow for the 3DS, which the premise of that game is you have your own magical girl band that solves all your problems with the power of song, and while the entire game is otherwise translated to English, the songs remain in Japanese, and there's no subs or translation for them at all in-game. I had to look up the lyrics online, and the lyrics are really badass! Why they weren't included is mystifying.

I just hate having to hunt for lyrics or translations myself, they add that little extra bit of enjoyment to the song.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28381 on: August 03, 2016, 06:58:15 am »

I agree

Though to admit your not missing much. Anime intros and endings rarely have anything to do with the show or its characters...

The best way I can put it... is they are kind of tone spackle or character spackle.

Either it is supposed to sort of address the tone of the show... or address the tone of a character.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28382 on: August 03, 2016, 06:59:32 am »

A lot of the time that's due to copyright issues afaik, because the song is licensed separately to the show itself, and the translator can't legally publish lyrics. Which is obnoxious, but what can you do.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28383 on: August 04, 2016, 12:08:00 am »

It looks like next season is bringing some more interesting looking stuff. New Chi's Sweet Home. Natsume Yuujinchou season 5, plus a bunch of other sequels, etc.

And Sunrise is producing an anime original mecha series "ClassicaLoid". The basic plot seems to be two highschoolers come across Beethoven and Mozart, who use the power of music to fight. Then giant robots invade. Three more heroes appear: Liszt, Chopin and Shubert.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:13:48 am by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28384 on: August 04, 2016, 12:16:41 am »

And Sunrise is producing an anime original mecha series "ClassicaLoid". The basic plot seems to be two highschoolers come across Beethoven and Mozart, who use the power of music to fight. Then giant robots invade, and Bach, Chopin and Shubert turn up to help defend humanity.
This sounds wonderful
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28385 on: August 04, 2016, 12:17:50 am »

Yeaaah, the dragon ball stuff that was aired in the U.S. was pretty strongly censored. It was actually something of an initiate anime watcher thing back in the 90s to have either watched, or at least be aware of, the uncensored version, probably off a CD you mailed to some shady online CD burning person. Nascent anime elitist cred, back when it was getting off the ground for an english speaking audience.

No clue if other english primary countries got the same version, but I'd imagine the dub version was the same, heh.

Canada got the same one until Funimation took over, then I think they diverged.  Other places got completely different stuff.

The subs back then were about as bad as the dubs, though, jesus hell.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #28386 on: August 04, 2016, 12:29:55 am »

Yeaaah, the dragon ball stuff that was aired in the U.S. was pretty strongly censored. It was actually something of an initiate anime watcher thing back in the 90s to have either watched, or at least be aware of, the uncensored version, probably off a CD you mailed to some shady online CD burning person. Nascent anime elitist cred, back when it was getting off the ground for an english speaking audience.

No clue if other english primary countries got the same version, but I'd imagine the dub version was the same, heh.

Canada got the same one until Funimation took over, then I think they diverged.  Other places got completely different stuff.

The subs back then were about as bad as the dubs, though, jesus hell.
You mean that you don't fondly remember the days of fansubbing back when you had nth generation degenerated VHS tapes mail-ordered off the Internet or Usenet?  Shifted color palettes, color bleeding, or even color loss, audio degeneration, such fond times. :P

Actually, the real subbing works weren't all that awful, from the ones I picked up.  I actually still have half of Kimagure Orange Road on VHS.  Maybe I just got lucky when it came to series choice, though; I didn't even know that Dragonball was subbed before the DVD era came along.
((I actually never got to actually try fansubs until Napster came along; I went to the right sites, but using personal checks and passing out personal information like my address on the Internet was kinda...well, e-shopping is just one of those things I gradually grew to accept.))

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28387 on: August 04, 2016, 12:35:58 am »

It looks like next season is bringing some more interesting looking stuff. New Chi's Sweet Home. Natsume Yuujinchou season 5, plus a bunch of other sequels, etc.

And Sunrise is producing an anime original mecha series "ClassicaLoid". The basic plot seems to be two highschoolers come across Beethoven and Mozart, who use the power of music to fight. Then giant robots invade. Three more heroes appear: Liszt, Chopin and Shubert.
Ahem, *Schubert.
</musicnerdery>
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28388 on: August 04, 2016, 01:19:22 am »

That's not nerdery, that's spelling pedantry

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28389 on: August 04, 2016, 01:28:03 am »

Eh, close enough.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28390 on: August 04, 2016, 02:09:06 am »

This reminds me of a pet peeve of mine.

Official subs that are different than the official dubs.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28391 on: August 04, 2016, 03:33:01 am »

Ohh gawd growing anime trend and it is hilarious

It is where you give a character a hoodie... but not any ordinary hoodie... an animal hoodie.

Note that they will never wear the hood... It kind of makes them look like closet furry which makes me laugh.

Ps. The funny part is how hard it seems they are trying to hide it. Like they are going "Furry what!?! of course not... there is no way I wear that hood as soon as the cameras shift". It isn't that they are a furry.

Though to admit one of the times I've seen this (a persona anime) the fact that it was a bunny eared hoodie actually SEEMED to have significance at first... until it is later revealed... No it has no significance.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28392 on: August 04, 2016, 06:56:45 am »

This reminds me of a pet peeve of mine.

Official subs that are different than the official dubs.

Most notably when I tried watching Hellsing, though I'm not sure if they're official. The dub sounded natural while the subs appeared to have been either translated verbatim or done by a novice (with all of the bad English that both imply).

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28393 on: August 04, 2016, 01:26:32 pm »

...I'm disappointed at the loose ends that will never be touched on again, but I'm glad Bleach is ending, this is ridiculous. The current chapter is "A Perfect End", it was supposedly the last one, but there's actually another one next?

"What, you thought the chapters went from beginning to end?"

Dammit Kubo, go draw for someone who can write without slapping George Lucasian levels of nonsense in.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28394 on: August 04, 2016, 01:31:19 pm »

The only thing Ichigo can't power up enough to defeat: Corporate Executives.
Pages: 1 ... 1891 1892 [1893] 1894 1895 ... 2193